USMC M4A2 – 2 nd Pt. / C Co. / 1st CTB – “Galvanic” Op.

Jelly

Rob. G.
USMC M4A2 – 2 nd Pt. / C Co. / 1st CTB – “Galvanic” Op.

:) Hi guys,

Some months ago I decided to give my first go to a modern kit (truly modern mould, year 2.006 or so kit, not like the very old ones - 1970´s - that I took as calisthenics in my return to modelling). So I picked Dragon M4A2 Tarawa (ref kit 6062) after reading a little in PMMS site.

After that, I´ve readen specifically a little about the Shermans involvement in Galvanic Op. A very short op, with limited armor support, and great difficulties.

All the Shermans story in that Op is more or less well documented. As far as I know, only the fate of two of the tanks from the 2nd platoon allows “to play” with imagination (very, very little playing, really). So decided to build one of these two Shermans.

The ORBAT of the C Co. (1st Corps Tank Battalion), wich was the one deployed in the direct amphibious assault to Betio island, had the names of all of its tanks beginning with the letter “C”… as we can see in the next table ( a “ ? “ means name unknown):

ORBATCoCBetio.jpg

Because of the “C-name-beginning rule” and the unknown names, I´ve decided to name the M4A2 that I´m currently building “Charon” (Charon was the ferryman to Hades, in Greek mithology)

So that´s the matter... Tarawa, Nov. 1.943…

As I said, I began to build the model a few months ago, at a really very slow pace, because as I was finishing the SU122 and the Ford GPA. The model:

M4A2_box.jpg

P1010550.jpg

Here are a few Sherman photos that I´ve been able to pick from the www during ops in Tarawa…

tankdam.jpg

cannonb.jpg

charlie2.jpg

condor.jpg

file004.jpg

ustank3.jpg

tarawa15.jpg

The kit is very good to me, but definitely not a kit for an absolute-first-time beginner. Fortunately, it is not my case. It has been really an easy build for me.

By the way, the kit lacks some prominent features shown by the M4A2 in Tarawa, but I think that the matter can be VERY easily corrected. Those features are:

1.- Rear rack for eight (8) US jerrycans.
2.- Exhausts deflector.

Then: how have I solved those issues:

1.- For the rear rack I´ve built it used the ubiquitous Evergreen, and the excellent diamond shape medium size mesh from ROYAL MODEL (be-a-u-ti-ful). I´ve not been able to find neither a conclusive nor good resolution photo of this specific “Tarawa rack”, so I´ve built it like I would have done to hold a weight of more or less 180 kg / 370 lbs and not drilling the rear plate.

2.- For the exhausts deflector, I´ve used the kit that made FORMATIONS, now (recently) closed. I believe that my order must have been one of the latest ones served by Robert… It´s a pity that Formations has closed… it filled a specific market gap…

Some additional notes:

a.- All the small chains are homemade twisting a tiny wire made of a very soft alloy (not lead, but a very soft alloy), then pressing the so twisted wire with a flat-end plier. Well, they are not like the good PE ones, but they do their work for me.

b.- The replacement caps for the headlights and their side mount are made from plastic from the kit´s sprues and Evergreen.

c.- All the hatches are workable, this has been a whim…

d.- I really HATE that hull mounted MGs that dont move, so I´ve built a ball-joint using the extreme of one of the wider sprues that came with the kit, hollowed it, then hollowed the first (inner) part of the hull MG barrel, and used a dressmaking pin whose head was a perfectly spheric one. If I don’t forget, I´ll draw a croquis. After all of this, and getting a workable hull MG, I´ve empirically arrived to the conclusion that this weapon was ALMOST USELESS, being far, FAR superior the German MG ball mounts… being one of the main cause the fact that the Sherman ones didn´t had ANY optic aiming device, this added to the poor freedom that this system gives to the weapon. :p

Here are some pics I´ve taken today (09 October) of the currently state of the model. I´ve been working over it at intervals during this week (last week I was slowly advancing . As you can see, the building phase is almost finished.

Well, I know that this is not a greatly assorted photo-report, but I hope you like it. ;) so Fire For Effect:

P1010702.jpg

P1010704.jpg

P1010705.jpg

P1010706.jpg

P1010708.jpg

P1010709.jpg

P1010713.jpg

P1010714.jpg

And I hope this post will help to prove that I´m not shirking around here... ! ;D ;D

And again, sorry about my english!

See you, ;)
RG

Hey Jelly ,intersting suject . Nice little bit of history too . Unfortunately i cant see a lot of the pics ...its syas they've been removed ??....I can see the build pics at the bottom tho' and it looks like you've made some good progress there :)...I'll be watching ;D

Chris.

Chris S said:
Hey Jelly ,intersting suject . Nice little bit of history too . Unfortunately i cant see a lot of the pics ...its syas they've been removed ??....I can see the build pics at the bottom tho' and it looks like you've made some good progress there :)...I'll be watching ;D

Chris.

Trouble solved, Chris. I just went happy-finger with photobucket. ;)
RG

ive only ever built 1 sherman and it still isnt complete.

jelly the old pics you posted are cool to see, that sherman with all the holes musta took a few losses.

as for your rack on the tank it looks realy well made, im looking forward to more.

oh and your english is fine, its prob better than mine :)

Jelly,

Really, really cool build man!

The sherman is my most favorite subject.

That rack looks great, all the detail you have done looks awsome!

I'll be watching this Fo Sho

Some of us like to watch them get built to Roberto :(
Looks very clean,I like that.

Tony lee :)

OK, one hour or so since first posted, and still nobody is throwing stones at me, so it mustn´t be a disaster ;D. I´m slowly progressing in the social scale ;D

:p I realize that I´ve crashed the code of one of the photos, and I can´t get access to the editing tool...

Spud, mate, if you put your hands over your unfinished Sherman I´m sure that by 2300 hrs of today ( now its 2025 hrs here) or so it will be finished, primed, painted, and weathered. ;D

Big John, glad you like it, yes, I think Sherman modelling is very versatile, brings a lot of options, and the shape of this pot is attractive.

Tony, roger that, I´m sorry !! For the next model I´ll make the progressive uploading & posting of photos. I have taken photos since the beginning of this model building, but I have found myself today with the Sherman at this stage, and ZERO posting before today ( ::) ) ... yes you are right, man, I´ll post since the very beginning. I have all of these before-today-photos, maybe being the most interesting ones the running gear and the welding seam of the turret (the green "line" - just in the photo that I´ve crashed :p ). But building this model HAS HAD NOTHING TO DO with the absolutely troublesome building of the SU122. I find that -for example- the builds of your "Diana", the Marder III and Spud´s Flakpanzer (not to mention Bizarre´s "Wirblewind PE nitemare" , thats a world apart) are a lot more difficult than this model... the only tricky stage here is keeping workable the suspension. ;)

RG

I can see the pics now ;D

There all great pictures !...some nice dio potential there :) Looing forward to it Jelly ;)

Chris.

JELLY ,

I missed this one . Cool Shermie !! I Dig all of th X-Tras !! I'm lookin forward to seein More . I'll keep an Eye on this one !!

So , How much Rum does it take to Build a Kick-Ass Pacific Shermie ?

CHEERS/Saludos

Hey guys, all of you... thanks a lot for dropping here, taking a look and your kind comments... :)

I´ve been "busy" painting the figurines for the SU122, and the Radio Team...

Some weeks I work over a subject, next week another, etc, etc... this way I can cover several alternatives simultaneously... but the time to finish a model increases...

I think that this week I´ll put some "pressure" over this Sherman :)

By the way... I´m a slow modeller ;)

;D Hey, Erik... you know... not only rum !! ;D just today (Sunday) I´ve had a cooking & wine drinking day... so no modelling this afternoon! To model it is essential to have your head fine... ;)

Uh... tonite there is a heavy storm over here... heavy rain...
Again, thanks for watching!
RG

:) Hi mates,
´
Not much here, just a timid advance,
´
The building phase of this M4A2 is over: as it is set in Tarawa, and there was a lot of lead flying, she has got some impacts (just light battle damage), you can see them mostly in the front hull and two hits in the front of the turret (facing the turret´s front, to the right). One of the sides has got also light hits.
´
Not big caliber shots, really.
´
I´ve sent to hell one of the headlights cover, and the siren is hanging from one of the wires. As you can see also, the towing cable has been severed due to the fractioning of one of the hitting projectiles.
´
I primed her yesterday night; I´ve used Vallejo Gray Primer for first time. It works OK. Good stuff.
´
This noon I´d pre-shaded her with Tamiya Black Green (XF-27 ?? or it was XF-61?? I can´t remember just now the paint code, but sure it was Black Green). I haven´t still taken photos of the pre-shading ´cause when I was to take them… some hungry people has arrived at home with several six-packs.
´
Well, there goes another salvo of photos, not too much spectacular, but an advance:
´
P1010721.jpg
´
P1010726.jpg
´
P1010722.jpg
´
P1010724.jpg
´
P1010725.jpg
´
P1010727.jpg
´
P1010728.jpg
´
P1010729.jpg
´
P1010730.jpg
´
´
And she is Hotaru (I name her Hotaru), she has been lightening my room for years…
P1010731.jpg

´
OK, mates,
As always, thanks for watching…
RG

Coming on nice Jelly ! The bits of damage add to the eye candy ,looking forward to the paint ;D

Chris.

Latest posts

Back