U.S.S. Lexington

that is really cool looking would love to see that ship in person. that food looks better then what we ate in the military lol

Thanks all. The only thing I didn't like was that they took all of the detail off of the planes on display. You will see that in the next part.

Nice video John.

BTW you were right about the bomb swing on the SBD.
It's the same with the Stuka.
It swings the bomb away from the arch of the propeller.

Thanks! I knew someone would let me know if I was right. I will get the next part up later today.

Looking forward to part 2 of that video.

On the subject of details on restorations, you have to understand that 90% of military aircraft found in smaller museums are wrecks that were recovered with the intention of restoring for static displays as none of them would ever be air worthy again.
The exception to that might be museums like The Smithsonian and military museums since they can just pull an aircraft from storage and set them up for display after demilitarizing them.

That explains a lot. I got to go to the Smithsonian air museum a few years back and the air craft there are complete with most of their details intact. These are not. You will see that in part two, it is rendering right now and will be uploaded soon.

Cool, will give me something to watch today since I took the day off from work (problems with my Achilles tendon).

Black Sheep 1 said:
What was the deal with VF-84?
That was a nice looking Tomcat-A.

There is an Anime show called Macross. They had a squadron called the Skull Squadron and their fighters were called VF: Veritech fighters.

I did some looking and found out that the Macross show copied the VF squadron. When I made the film, I had it backwards....

Igard: There was a lot to see.

Grendels said:
Black Sheep 1 said:
What was the deal with VF-84?
That was a nice looking Tomcat-A.

There is an Anime show called Macross. They had a squadron called the Skull Squadron and their fighters were called VF: Veritech fighters.

I did some looking and found out that the Macross show copied the VF squadron. When I made the film, I had it backwards....

Igard: There was a lot to see.

Ah, I see.
I've never seen that show.
I'll have to look it up.

VF85, The Jolly Rogers was the squadron featured in the movie The Final Countdown.

It was known here in the U.S. as Robotech. Here is a model of the the VF-15 from HLJ:

hsg65792_1.jpg

Grendels said:
Here is the last part of the videos:

U.S.S. Lexington the final chapter

I find it interesting that they choose to have a T6 Texan on display and not an SNJ which was the Navy version of that trainer with a tailhook. There were a whole lot of variants to this aircraft.
The Army Air Force called it the AT-6, Navy SNJ and the Brithis called it the Harvard. In 1962 they just called it T6.
In Korea it was used as a Forward Air Coltroller and I was told (my uncle flew one in Korea) it was armed with a .50 cal.

Also interesting shot of that A-6 Intruder.
Was that an A-6A? I've never noticed that iar intake on the top of the fuselage midway between the cockpit and the rudder.

Thanks for sharing that video.

It is an A-6E Here are a few photos I took:

IMG_1240.jpg
IMG_1241.jpg
IMG_1242.jpg
IMG_1243.jpg
IMG_1244.jpg
IMG_1245.jpg
IMG_1246.jpg
IMG_1248.jpg
IMG_1249.jpg

I found the missing footage today, so one more video...

Latest posts

Back