U - 995 Type VII C /41

longlance67

cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war -shakespear
Hi All,

with my Bismarck build well under way I decided I would do another smaller build at the same time, when I'm waiting for parts to arrive. Today the postman brought me a parcel :) within was AVF Club's 1/350th scale Type VIIC /41 U-boat which will be small but never the less packs a lot of detail in this small craft

P1110607_zpsc605be32.jpg[/URL]

the set comes with three frames, plus one lose waterline hull section. Also included is a small decal sheet and a busy little etch sheet with railings and other small fittings. The detail is nice and crisp and has plenty going on. Further more the kit comes with two Biber midget subs which can ride piggy back on the sub

some detail shots
P1110620_zps1aa7f1c6.jpg[/URL]

P1110611_zps82f8bf6c.jpg[/URL]

P1110608_zps92e7190c.jpg[/URL]

The project: U - 995

U 995 a Type VII C/42 class U - boat was one of the few 'Lucky Boats' to survive the war. Commissioned on the 16th September 1943 by Blohm and Voss. She would carry out 9 wartime patrols and account for 9474 tons of shipping sunk. On the 8th May 1945 damaged the Boot was surrended to the British forces by her last Capatin Oberleutnant Hans- Georg Hess (winner of the Knights Cross)
U - 995 survues to this day and is on display at Laboe Naval Memorial

U995__zpse56d7b86.jpg[/URL]

for the build ill be using Wolf Pack by Gordon Williamson as a comapion for this build :)

now the question is to waterline her or not ?

cheers,

Shane.

Hi all,

a quick update for you,

been busy working away on the little sub, focusing on the conning tower which was a busy little sub assembly with a lot of tiny parts, must say now this kit is not for the beginner due to the sizes of most of parts. The basic conning tower uint

P1110624_zpsc4439dbc.jpg[/URL]

made up of four parts alone, before adding the railings, periscopes, snorkel mount, spray deflector, radar and anti-air guns !

a gap was present along the joint right down the middle of the conning tower which i filled with PVA glue anything else would result in mess or loss of detail through sanding

P1110625_zpse91d00fc.jpg[/URL]

a quick test fit to the waterline hull ill be using for this project....my go at seascapes ;)

P1110627_zpse4b2834a.jpg[/URL]

then it came time for the smaller fittings, and etch parts to go on, I've also avoided etch in the past so its good to get some practice before having to etch Bismarck. The kit came with an etch sheet, with the radar screen and the railings and few other fittings, i couldn't get the etch railing to fit the rear of the tower so i used the plastic parts, they were the most anonoying thing to put in, but after a lot of swearing I got them in, took about five hours to get this far but I really happy with the results ;D

P1110632_zpsd5c9d104.jpg[/URL]

P1110633_zps32c1b879.jpg[/URL]

P1110635_zps84120e1c.jpg[/URL]

hope you like it,

cheers

Shane :)

hi,

just a quick update, been painting away, its kinda tricky with a model so small when brush painting but hopefully i wont knock any parts off :-X

been working on the water base, using the tin foil method works very well and isn't as messy as using filler or sealer, I just have one question does any one know a good way to recreate ships wakes ?

Hi Tailor,

thank you so much for the link, it will prove very useful cheers

Hi all,

quick update:

got the boot painted which wasn't as tricky as I thought it would be trying to use a brush on this scale. The main colors were Vallejo Sea grey for the upper surfaces and Green Grey for the lower hull section and ballast saddles. Weathering was done with a wash of GW's Agrax Earthshade was gonna add more pin washes but opted against it as I was worried I would used up mu luck and pop something off with my brush :-X

P1110776_zps57b9f53e.jpg[/URL]

P1110779_zps9d5bec81.jpg[/URL

P1110775_zps88bbd728.jpg[/URL]

P1110777_zps18a06c97.jpg[/URL]

the wash sometimes can dry with a glossy finish at times but a few coats of matte will sort this out :)

cheers,

Shane.

thanks for the kind words Barry :)

as for the water there is a lot of different methods out there for doing seascapes ranging from pouring resin or clear poly sealer, but as this is my first time ever trying to recreate a ship at sea Im gonna use the method best suited for a beginner and still looks great, in my stash of model magazines (the not dirty kind ;) ) I found an article about using crumpled tin foil or aluminium foil as the base of the water, prime and giving it a gradient of colors accurate to the region where the vessel is operating and give it a few coats of gloss and you have a simple sea base :)

Ill have some photos up soon

thanks,

Shane

hey Shane,

I read about the tin foil technique, should work fine. Personally I'd like some transparency (you may want to keep the depth limited with a waterline model) and just saw this tutorial with the bathroom sealer, looks very convincing and simple (and cheap ;D):
Easy and Cheap Diorama Water Effects Tutorial Part 1

I only wonder if you could mix the sealer with some paint (I know some sealers cannot be painted). I might have a go at this for my Titanic instead of using the resin/epoxy I was thinking of using. Also creating waves and wakes behind the ship might be easier with sealer than with the tin foil (or sealer on top of foil).

If I can find the time I'll do a test of some sort, curious to find out how it will look.

Barry

Hi Barry,

thanks for sharing the link it seems a good method to use, will give it a try in the future :)

Hiya all,

a quick update for you, got the seascape done, but yet have to add the wake for the sub

P1110806_zps1934ad6d.jpg[/URL]

P1110809_zps3e2795c8.jpg[/URL]

P1110815_zps90eb2a90.jpg[/URL]

[P1110810_zps337384c4.jpg[/URL]

P1110810_zps337384c4.jpg[/URL]

hope you like it

cheers,

Shane.

Great job on this Shane!! Very nice depiction and overall cool display!!! ;)

Thanks T im very happy with it and try to keep improving my ship skills with each build, I say i'll return to this in the future to add the rigging and maybe so etch crewmen for the tower to add some life to it :)

Barsprojects said:
It's in the water! Well done, can't wait till you do the wakes, so I can see how I have to do mine :)

hahahahah I was waiting to see what you were gonna do :p

That's gonna be a long wait, pal ;) Mine hit an iceberg, it probably doesn't even have a wake, what's your excuse?

Barsprojects said:
That's gonna be a long wait, pal ;) Mine hit an iceberg, it probably doesn't even have a wake, what's your excuse?

EH mine has been using the current to pull itself along the bottom to avoid listening gear :p

Latest posts

Back