Type 170VK Kfz.2 Radio Car

Engine parts cleaned up and assembled
image_zps07a451d8.jpg
image_zpsdc31d98f.jpg
image_zpscc1380f4.jpg

Frame assembled too.... There's a ton of flash and ejector pin marks to clean up so far. Kind of disappointing.
image_zpsbfc7601d.jpg

I'm lookin to cruise through construction quickly on this one and focus on a stellar paint job.

So I decided to put in some work and get the subframe completed... Waiting on doing the wheels so I can paint the hubs with the chassis

image_zps0746e00e.jpg

I used thin solder to mock the wiring for the cylinders...I thought they added a nice touch
image_zps4734a271.jpg
image_zpsc7a0bfb8.jpg
I absolutely LOVE my AK Rust Effects set
image_zps7151e7b6.jpg
Dry brushed the frame and driveshaft...then a quick medium rust wash followed by a light rust wash.
image_zpsdef2345b.jpg
I think I'm gonna prop the driver side engine cowl up so the engine work can be seen
image_zps69d6384a.jpg
image_zps33ea77d4.jpg
image_zps8e909282.jpg
I added the Radiator, oil cooler and hosing afterwards. Aside from the wheels, the chassis is complete!

Poll: Panzer Grey or Dunkelgelb for the color scheme?!?! I can't decide!

Dunkelgelb, maybe with a little green camo rolled in. Radio car, so they would want to have a little camo to blend in and not stand out.

The one year I enter when before there weren't many cars done... everyone has got to do a car this year! LOL That engine is looking awesome bro! Loving the pipe work!

Wheels painted and mounted. Love AK's paint line.
image_zps3fc8405c.jpg
Added the dash and trimmed up the body....then dry fit the entire thing with the access door open
image_zps2cdac705.jpg
image_zpsf99b20db.jpg
One part was damaged on the sprue so I had to cut a new end for the radio rail
image_zpsbf797722.jpg
This is where I sit now, looking to slop some paint down tomorrow.
photo_zps4b3ba639.jpg

Construction is complete....just need to paint the sub assemblies, weather and final assembly with some final weathering touches too

photo_zpse732861d.jpg
image_zps5ff9dd7f.jpg

On a sidenote, my awesome coffee mugs have arrived !
311b2746-22d5-4461-ab5c-0f98b2595570_zps80454506.jpg

Dropped a mix of flat aluminum and gunmetal as a Basecoat on all the parts. More color tomorrow afternoon. I had 3 fillings and a Navy Tooth Cleaning so I feel like a crap sandwich! ( they brutalize your mouth !)

image_zps0ad178b3.jpg

Decided to put down some rusting to show some variations later.....I'm applying AK Chipping Fluid and using some salt to achieve the look to scale. Keeping the fingers crossed , hoping it looks good!

photo_zps5011f5c8.jpg

Tips? Thoughts?

Salted and chipped. What's a good wash for Dunkelgelb????

photo_zpsbc472c84.jpg
image_zpsd408bfd6.jpg

Wash and detail painting to follow

Added some green camouflage paint and chipped that up as well....I think a nice filter and pin wash will help out....once this step dries fully tomoro afternoon.

image_zpsd0c8fd71.jpg

image_zpsc83cfc92.jpg

image_zps44bb4e36.jpg

HUGE PROGRESS TODAY !!!

I had no excuse since my wife left for Pennsylvania and I'm home alone with no dogs or humans for a month.

image_zps81b66014.jpg
added all of the necessary parts, some rust streaking and then started at it with some mud and dust.
image_zps07636364.jpg
image_zpsf21a4652.jpg
image_zps85cbaa53.jpg

I'll be following up with some "Final Shots" soon.....well until I find out if we're supposed to keep the finale shots a secret til submission time.

Latest posts

Back