Turbo Dork Paints

Marktastrophe

Anyone have any experience with these paints?
https://turbodork.com/collections/all-paints
PXL_20220301_203916923.PORTRAIT.jpg
The person at the hobby shop had nothing but praise, but also couldn't tell me what to thin it with besides "Acrylic thinner?" I followed up with a "Brand? solvent or water based?"... no answer lol.

Their website says you can use water or airbrush medium... so I'm going to give it a go with Vallejo thinner first.

Anyone have any experience with these paints?
https://turbodork.com/collections/all-paints
View attachment 90521
The person at the hobby shop had nothing but praise, but also couldn't tell me what to thin it with besides "Acrylic thinner?" I followed up with a "Brand? solvent or water based?"... no answer lol.

Their website says you can use water or airbrush medium... so I'm going to give it a go with Vallejo thinner first.
Never seen them, but love the name! How did it go with them? Did you use them? What thinner did you use?

Never seen them, but love the name! How did it go with them? Did you use them? What thinner did you use?
I have not used them yet. I'm going to go with Vallejo thinner (which is either solvent free, or a very mild solvent, from my limited understanding) since their website lists thinning with distilled water as an option.

After I finish my current build (waffling on some structural things atm) I'll have to do something small and quick to test a few paints. Should have more dropper jars being delivered before the end of the week too, since the ~6 I have are currently occupied by custom colors I like to much to toss/waste. (And are in too large of a quantity for me to feel ok about tossing/wasting)

I like the stainless steel agitator so much that I bought a bunch of the Army Painter (?) ball bearings to add to my Vallejo paints to help distribute the pigment in the paints. I like the Vallejo Model Air paints a lot, although I find their grays - shall we say - a little finicky…

I like the stainless steel agitator so much that I bought a bunch of the Army Painter (?) ball bearings to add to my Vallejo paints to help distribute the pigment in the paints. I like the Vallejo Model Air paints a lot, although I find their grays - shall we say - a little finicky…
I've never met a white or yellow pigment that layed down in a way that I enjoyed, lol.
Vallejo Grey primer is slick, and I use that as a base sometimes if I'm only adding a gaze or highlights. But Tamiya Lacquer has probably been my favorite grey to use in an AB. ...still haven't found a white or yellow I like, but I have a Tamiya Lacquer white I still have to try. For what it is worth, the Tamiya Lacquer white went down with a bristle brush much nicer than any other white hobby paint I've ever used, so hopes are high.

I should probably pickup some army painter bearings for the empty jars I'm waiting on (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Yeah , the Vallejo AB thinner is just water , propylene glycol ( retarder ) and a tiny amount of ammonia as a surfactant .

Another case of overthinking...
The labels say water based acrylic on them...I was scowering the fine print and specs on the website, maybe I'll learn one of these days...

Hey I've finally used these!
They are in no capacity ready to put straight into an airbrush. Very thick.
I'm also going to pull-quote their website here:
"Shake the bottle until you hear the mixing ball rattling around, then shake some more."
I'll then add: "While you are at it, shake some more. Think you're done? Then shake some more. Oh now you think you've been done for 5 minutes? Good, keep shaking."

The results look good, and I know they'll pop even more once I hit it with the clear in a day or two.
IMG_20220925_081944.jpg
Left Mechtro is done in "Ground is Lava", right in "Forest Flux" and all cuffs and earphones done in "Cloud Nine". I didn't use "Prism Power" because that requires a Zenithal base coat and I just plain didn't feel like it.
I can't fully remember what I used for the steel color since it was on a shelf mixed already, but I'm going to guess it's at least mostly Mr Color Steel colored lacquer.

I'll try to remember to post another pic once I gloss these and add panel lines and eyes!

They do suggest clear coating them on the site:
Turbo Tips and Tricks
I do also see that they recommend a large diameter needle (.5 nozzle or larger), which is unfortunate because I didn't try these until after my Paasche Talon died. And my only working AB has a fine or medium needle (I'm guessing a .3 nozzle), and I could tell there was some choking happening.

These were fun, but if I were purpose ordering shade shift or highly refractive metallics I would order SMS hands down.
And honestly if I wanted to stick to Water based acrylics I would go for the Vallejo "Eccentric Colors/The Shifters" line, only grabbing Turbo Dork if I were looking for something VERY specific that wasn't achievable with Vallejo. Simply because Vallejo doesn't look noticeably different when applied (it shifts real nice) and it is substantially easier to work with in an AB.
I believe SMS is about the same price per bottle, and Vallejo is cheaper per bottle (although I've only personally seen their shifters in 6 jar sets, still you end up with 6 jarsnfor the price of 3-4 Turbo Dork jars)

Fun note, I'm pretty sure Vallejo calls their color shift paints "Eccentric Colors" or "The Shifters" because Green Stuff World tried to sue them over the use of the title "ColorShift".
Youtubers have even had videos pulled because they had Vallejo sets old enough to still be using the "Colorshift" moniker :/

I was asking since clear coating metallic and iridescent paints often dulls them down and you remarked that they would " pop ".
That link to their FAQ page appears to show the gloss example muted .
Two part urethane clear , like what is used on chromed plastic , is the only clear that really works .

Yeah , I remember hearing about that Colorshift copyright battle and some You Tubers being caught up in it .

They do look mildly muted in the gloss sample, I think I'm still going to give it a go to see what happens. These mechatro mates are not a huge loss if tests go horribly, horribly, wrong. Lol.

What are some commonly available brands for the two part urethanes you are referencing?

That aerosol one says it has a pot life of 24 hours but I find that hard to believe .
I'd plan on using it up in the first few hours after it's contents are combined .

Latest posts

Back