Trying weathering out for the first time.

Aaron1883

Hey guys,

I've been building models for awhile and want to take a crack at weathering. Nothing to complicated if possible, maybe some beginner technique's and then what a good way to progress from that.

If someone could list out the steps in which they do perform each technique would be really helpful.

Here is my process:

-I assemble the major parts of the model and prime each section and then paint them. (Ex: for an M4 Sherman I just assembled I build the chassis and turret and primed and painted them separately, then assembled them)

-After the painting I put a clear coat on as the final step. (Can you weather before the clear coat or should it be before)

I usually apply my filters first. Then clearcoat. After the clearcoat I do my pin wash to bring out detail. Then i proceed to weather using oils and finish off with a dusting with the airbrush. This is my process and i am sure others will differ in the sequence. Your best bet is to start simple and develop your own techniques.

Aaron,

Check these videos out from Our resident ModelMadMan ! He has a set of Awesome Videos !!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScaleModelMadman

I agree with Cap. There are some basic steps in Weathering. The order will vary with each modeler. Case in Point - I apply My pin wash first. Dry brush,Weather with Mud & Dirt, Dulcote, apply pigments to dust up. At the same time, it depends on what you model. I model Armor , German Armor more specifically,and it's almost like, each Genere has a certain style.

Feel Free to reel off the Questions. That's why We're all here !! trade Ideas & Scrape Plastic !!

i have found that beginning modelers tend to make a big deal out of weathering which is understandable because you're basically mucking up a finished model and you dont want to ruin it. In all reality weathering is not as difficult as it seems. This is probably the part of the modeling process where you have the most artistic freedom. Companies like MIG and promodeller have created products that are what I call idiot proof. If your not sure of yourself or a technique practice on a junker, or a piece of styrene. Chances are you will like what you see. ;)

Cap can i ask what you mean by filters? And what is good to use for a clear coat? I use enamels @ the mo, dont know if that makes a difference? Sorry I'm a complete novice when it comes to weathering :)

Jez said:
Cap can i ask what you mean by filters? And what is good to use for a clear coat? I use enamels @ the mo, dont know if that makes a difference? Sorry I'm a complete novice when it comes to weathering :)

1. Think of photography. A filter is usually a translucent color that fits over the lens of the camera, this see through color effects the overall picture. Filters are just translucent layers of very thin paint to shit the color below it.

I talk about it briefly HERE

2. The clear coat depends maybe on what you intend to do, make it glossy? make it flat? satin?

Erm flat preferably i guess, I just want it so i can put oils like in that video and rusting steaks, basically to stop things sticking to my enamel paint job without it looking unatural. Anything really to make my tanks look more realistic.

I recomend using a gloss clearcoat to begin with ,this will help your decals settle better ,once they are on seal them with another coat . The gloss also helps with washes etc ,you will find the washes flow better on a gloss surface , you can put a matt coat on when you are finished .But just make sure you put your decals on before you start making everything dirty ;)

Chris.

Hey jez. Due to the fact that you you use enamels as a base coat, you want to make sure you don't use enamel based washes. Because eat will destroy your base coat.

Awesome tips! I am a beginner at weathering, too. I just don't want to screw my build up. I'm getting some Tamiya weathering. Is this good stuf to use? For a beginner?
Thanks. ;D

Atomicdog said:
Awesome tips! I am a beginner at weathering, too. I just don't want to screw my build up. I'm getting some Tamiya weathering. Is this good stuf to use? For a beginner?
Thanks. ;D

As long as you do a seal coat after final paint, whether it be Future or some other product, you can always wipe it off and start again. ;)

Latest posts

Back