Trying to find out what windex is called in uk

darkanger39

Hi all
im from the uk just learning how to use my airbrush going to use tamiya acrylics with it and was wondering if i can use windex i think its called with them paints or is that for valeo paints and if i can would anyone no the uk name for windex as im from uk and its not called that here any help would be great ty guys

wonder why that is .. can they not supply the tamiya thinner where you get your paints ? or mabey it's in high demand /sold out?

darkanger39 said:
Hi all
im from the uk just learning how to use my airbrush going to use tamiya acrylics with it and was wondering if i can use windex i think its called with them paints or is that for valeo paints and if i can would anyone no the uk name for windex as im from uk and its not called that here any help would be great ty guys

I'd suggest using Tamiya Lacquer thinner instead of windex for Tamiya paints. I'm not sure about using Windex though. Never tried it.

I'm still a member of the old guard using Rubbing Alcohol to thin Tamiya acrylics; it's always given me excellent results.

I use windex/windowlene all the time on my tamiyas. It will even strip 5 year old dried tamiya! Using an ammonia based window cleaner has other benefits. Its CHEAP and easy to get from tesco or your local clover store. Also it wont be completely removed from circulation because Japan has to redesign its entire warning lable for it to be shipped and sold. Now if i can just get more tamiya paints...my overstock is running low.

I have always used Tamiya's Acrylic Thinner with Tamiya Acrylics and had no problem. But after watching DreamKnight's fantastic build videos (hope the Corsair gets finished) I went out and got me some Tamiya Lacquer thinner to try. Never tried Windex as a thinner but I do use it as part of a mix in my initial airbrush cleaning solution.

What you're looking for is a window cleaner with ammonia in it.
You'll have a huge challenge finding that in the UK, most supermarket cleaners use vinegar (acetic acid) as a cleaning agent rather than the slightly less friendly ammonia.
I wouldn't recommend you use it to thin the paint but for AB cleanup it's fine.
There are two options, Halfords screenwash, (contains ammonia), or a bottle of household ammonia, dilute 6% in water in a bottle, it stinks, do this in a well ventilated space.
For thinning Tamiya Acryl I use 95% Isopropyl Alcohol, about £5 a litre on ebay, you could probably get 75% 'rubbing' alcohol at the chemist which should do the same.
Or if you can get the better value big bottles, tamiyas own thinner which apparently contains a drying retarder, handy when spraying a large area as this stuff flashes off quickly

Latest posts

Back