Trumpeter VK4502 "Vorne" build completed

the doog

"I ain't old; just heavily weathered!"
Hello, all!

As way of saying "hello" here, I'm posting my first build here that I just completed--the VK4502 from Trumpeter. I just finished it up, and used a lot of the techniques that I learned down at AMPS, Atlanta this past year.

The tank had Squadron putty zimmerit applied, and was built basically OOB beside that, and a few small details added, but not of he tank itself. This kit comes with an interior, and it was a nice touch, for what you can see of it even with the hatches left wide open. I painted it with Tamiya paint, and weathered it with Adam Wilder's new "Gunpowder" line of pigments, washes, filters and other neat effects. My concept on it was that the Vorne hull sat, rusting in the yards until being hauled out of "retirement", given a quick coat of zimmerit, and adorned with an older turret from a refurbished tank--thus the rationale behind the two different colors. The hull was given a quick coat of DY and camo, and the tank prepared for its final battle. Kind of an "apocalyptic vision". lol. I hope you get that from looking at the photos. ;)

Thanks for stopping by and saying "hello"! :)

Here's the interior shots before I closed it up.

DSC08177_zps98b8f708.jpg

22turretandguncompleted23_zps56645dbe.jpg

And the finished build:

DSC09652_zps1d7b4aee.jpg

DSC09634_zps721639f8.jpg

DSC09646_zpsd0d20f30.jpg

DSC09625_zps82dd3282.jpg

I hope that you enjoyed the pics, and that it gives you some ideas for your own Vorne!

Very nice. The interior looks awesome, too bad you can't see it when finished. Great to see it done up nice all the same though. I'm guessing the rabbit is driving the beast? ;) Fantastic job with the weathering.

Bullet21,

Hey, thanks for the reply, and the nice compliments---the line about "the rabbit" made me smile--you must know my love for rusty car models? I always put a "rust bunny" in with them, every time. ;D

The interior was a nice touch; pretty well engineered and all in plastic, which was nice--I hate working with resin unless absolutely necessary. The kit has some problems--most notably the tracks which are tough t glue and have a lot of weird flash.This one took me a while to get done, but in the end, NOT-rushing it paid off.

Thanks again for looking in! :D

Wow! Beautiful detailing and weathering. I did a Hobby Boss VK4502 Hintern variation and it had interior turret detail that is almost identical to this Trumpeter kit. (Are Hobby Boss and Trumpeter somehow related???) I assembled the interior but just painted it white, concentrating most of my efforts on painting & weathering the exterior. Now that I see what you've done I wish I could go back and detail the interior of the Hintern.

VK4502CleanLowDetail02eBay.jpg

Awesome build man and love your concept about this vehicle. What did u use for the
pooled water effects ? 8)

pingvuiini said:
Wow! Beautiful detailing and weathering. I did a Hobby Boss VK4502 Hintern variation and it had interior turret detail that is almost identical to this Trumpeter kit. (Are Hobby Boss and Trumpeter somehow related???) I assembled the interior but just painted it white, concentrating most of my efforts on painting & weathering the exterior. Now that I see what you've done I wish I could go back and detail the interior of the Hintern.

VK4502CleanLowDetail02eBay.jpg
pingvuiini, thanks for the reply, and for sharing your version of the interior. I didn't know that the HB Hintern had an interior, but that's really cool to know--I have to say that I don't think I'd build that interior twice, however, seeing how little of it you can actually see. A little bit of detail inside maybe, for the judges, lol.

As far as I know, Hobby Boss was a line of models created to get around some of the East's "Exclusive distributor" contracts that they had with some bug American companies. A well-known company here in America wand to market some of another model company's models, but their contract with a certain major distributor prevented them from doing so. To get around that, Hobby Boss was created to enable this company to "spread the wealth", so to speak, so they may indeed have some kind of incestuous relationship?

Thanks again for your compliments and your post!

bdr65 said:
Awesome build man and love your concept about this vehicle. What did u use for the
bdr, thank you for taking the time to leave a nice compliment. For the water effects, I used Woodland Scenics' "Real Water". It's a silicone-like product, that you can drip of pour, and it's also acrylic based, so you can tint it or add color to it as well. I dripped it on with a toothpick dunked into it, and then added color to it with a paintbrush.

geegad said:
superb work the weathering is spot on real battle worn+
Thank you, geegad--I appreciate the comps and your taking time to leave a comment! :)

the doog said:
bdr65 said:
bdr, thank you for taking the time to leave a nice compliment. For the water effects, I used Woodland Scenics' "Real Water". It's a silicone-like product, that you can drip of pour, and it's also acrylic based, so you can tint it or add color to it as well. I dripped it on with a toothpick dunked into it, and then added color to it with a paintbrush.

Awesome man - Thanks for the reply :)

Thanks, rookie! I appreciate it!

LOVE your avatar too, by the way. Clint is the MAN!!!

Latest posts

Back