Trumpeter T62 Mod 1972

Jimi

Ok, so there is a small story attached to this: yes i know, i usually build sci-fi kits and i have a stack of military kits around here so i decided to take one to work with me and sit and build it rather than keep buying books off of ebay, which was costing me even more than model kits.

so i'm roughly getting an hour a night to work on this kit in less than perfect conditions to say the least but it's a slow burner and in three week i have managed to complete most of the hull and i have also completed most of the turret. work has been slowed by the fact that i wanted to add some additional plumbing for the external fuel cells which was fabricated out of 30 amp fuse wire which you can just about see in this picture in the top left corner.

I wanted to do this tank as one that had been captured by the Mujaheddin during the war with the Russians in Afghanistan however the mono-chrome green colour is putting me off when i look at the option to paint it as a Syrian tank but i will stick with my original plan as i have bought some afghan rebel figures as well.

I originally didn't want to build the trumpeter kit as i had built one of their early kits a T-55 which i had built to resemble a North Vietnamese army tank from the Vietnam war. that kit was a nightmare with huge gaps that needed a ton of plastic-card and filler and it put me off of trumpeter kits altogether but over the last two to three years i kept hearing everyone singing their praises, whilst i was thinking this was utter madness, so in the end i cracked this kit open from the stash and i must admit it is a marked improvement from their earlier kits.

Sorry their is only one progress shot but photobucket was being a pain in the rump yesterday:

20161104_021555_zpsnqnkvkpf.jpg

A ways to go ... You can build models at work ? :)

I've never built a trumpeter kit - I have only a couple of artillery kits from them that I grabbed for donor parts ...
Looking forward to your assessment

urumomo said:
A ways to go ... You can build models at work ? :)

I've never built a trumpeter kit - I have only a couple of artillery kits from them that I grabbed for donor parts ...
Looking forward to your assessment

yeah building at work isn't easy but it is possible while we wait for the truck to get loaded. but there isn't much room in it as there are two of us in the cab and it doesn't help when you are trying to glue sensitive parts and the truck is rocking from side to side when they load heavy pallets. the guy that i work with is a ship builder and he only builds big 1/350 scale ships so there is no room for his stuff lol

as for the kit it's going together incredibly well, compared to the old T55 i did a way back when so i would recommend it, there is a small amount of PE which i am not a great fan of but i'm getting there.

;D Ha Ha , Cool --

That's dedication . I don't know if I would try that .. . I have enough difficulty working from my fully equipped bench ;)

PE too ? NUTZ !!

urumomo said:
;D Ha Ha , Cool --

That's dedication . I don't know if I would try that .. . I have enough difficulty working from my fully equipped bench ;)

PE too ? NUTZ !!

well there isn't much else we can do while we wait and i've read a ton of books this year alone... this will be the third kit i will have built this way, this year.

after about a week's worth of work i have managed to get through most of the turret although there are still lots of little items to add on, i hope to have this part finished for the end of this week.

20161108_062818_zpsdcajeoa5.jpg

The turret is now complete along with all those annoying PE parts as well although i did miss some out due to where i was working at the time. I hope to be giving the kit a coat of primer tomorrow some time.

20161112_160428_zpskt4tdv3q.jpg

What do you work off of ? Your lap ???

Do you roll the window down when you're rattle-canning ? ;D

urumomo said:
What do you work off of ? Your lap ???

pretty much, yes is the answer to that!

i do the painting at home, which is where the kit is now, i'm halfway through covering it with matt black car primer paint

Latest posts

Back