Trumpeter F4F-3 Early 1/32

fightnjoe

i keep turning up....just like a bad penny....
Biting off more than I can chew part 1.

This will be one of two upcoming projects. This will be my 2016 Pearl Harbor Tribute build.

BoxArt_zpsggt6e0yp.jpg

Stay tuned folks. This could get interesting.

Joe

Well here I am.

Here we go.

First step is .................well..................some destruction.

First up was to mock up the mount for the landing gear/engine. From what I remember this is one of the problem areas. I added a bit of styrene to get it to sit level and then centered. I then mocked up the pit floor to make sure where the cuts would end up. Out came the dremmel and after about a half hour.......

First-Cuts_zpsyva7pdae.jpg

Not much to it. I cut out bits of the upper wing as well. Going to do that a bit different than the previous ones.

Next is clean up and then I can begin to work on the details.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

A quickie update to show what little work I have done.

Work was isolated to fabrication of the radio equipment for this aircraft. The SCR-274 N. Composed of several components here is the still very rough initial look.

SCR-274-2_zpsw9u664se.jpg
SCR-274-1_zpsjsbhx9ut.jpg

Should be pretty cool when done. Debating on whether to paint it now or wait as I did with the P-40B equipment.

Next will be to continue fabrication of the parts aft the cockpit.

Joe

All this interior is scratch-built ?

What are the little cylinders attached to the boxes in the radio equipment ? ;D what do I Google to find out what I'm looking at ?

Thanx ,
Mo

Many thanks for looking in. Yes it is all scratch built. The little cylinders are the dynamotors for the radio equipment. For me once I found out which radio set I just googled the name. This one is the SCR 274 N. If you google SCR 274 you will get a great start. I took one of the drawings that labeled all the components and then set to work finding pictures of them.

Joe

More done on the SCR 274 and a bit to the plumbing on the interior of the fuselage.

Some paint is a good thing right? Going blind with the white work. Using the Testor small bottles I got some color on the different receiver and transmitter equipment.

SCR-274-4_zps2nraod2w.jpg

The work on the interior of the fuselage begins with the different boxes and fittings for the starboard side.

SCR-274-3_zpsmgvfcs2w.jpg

The interior is coming right along with much more to do. The wiring and fittings for the radio and then the different boxes and fittings for the port side of the fuselage are next up.

Joe

Work continues. Two updates in three days, wow.

Watching YouTube was good for me and I was able to make some decent progress.

The radio is 99% finished.

SCR-274-5_zps9xv6nlfd.jpg
SCR-274-6_zpsmwesepyf.jpg

All that is left is the wiring after it is installed into the fuselage.

I was able to work a bit on the port side with the fabrication and addition of boxes and fittings.

Interior-4_zpsdt2xjguo.jpg

I worked a bit on the rear of the cockpit bulkhead.

Interior-3_zpsvdpinhn6.jpg

I then threw some paint. On the interior of the fuselage I sprayed Gloss Gray and then Alclad Chrome.

Interior-2_zpsbpkbxkzr.jpg

And then with the rear of the cockpit I sprayed Gloss Black and Alclad Chrome. To show the comparison.

Interior-1_zpsqwihyjf9.jpg

There we go. i am thinking I can now move onto the cockpit.

Joe

Loving it ! ;D

The tonal difference with the chrome atop the different base-coats is pretty remarkable

PS -
Thanks for the radio info .

Many many thanks.

I agree the tones are incredibly different.

Joe

Well folks here I am again and after a couple of days of fighting with Photobucket I can post an update.

First up I began working on the cockpit. Here is the bare bones and the kit pieces in place.

Cockpit-6_zpsrwyqesvm.jpg

Using these photos out of Squadron Signal Walk Around for the Wildcat I began to fabricate the sides. This is for discussion only.

Ref-1_zps0lnwvufj.jpg

I went off of them and this is what I ended up with.

Cockpit-5_zpscvsmmtsg.jpg
Cockpit-4_zpsd9dvfn5u.jpg

I was pleased. Then I turned the page and found these. Again for discussion only.

Ref-2_zpslukhk1xi.jpg
Ref-3_zpsg6wgz3fp.jpg

At that point I noticed several big issues that I just could not live with. I scraped some of the detail off and redid it. Here is the result.

Cockpit-2_zpsfyvyfhmw.jpg
Cockpit-3_zpsqgcco5is.jpg

And the cockpit floor.

Cockpit-1_zpsx2fpgm1t.jpg

And there you have it.

I like it.

Next up is color for the pit.

Joe

;D Wow ..

Did you build-up all those different levers from scratch or are they from other kits ?
Pretty fantastic stuff !

Many thanks.

All the objects in white are scratchbuilt.

Joe

Just a brief update.

Attention is now turned to the cockpit fully. With most of the parts fabricated I can throw a bit of paint on and then some detail painting.

Cockpit-7_zpsqcouhrxl.jpg

Actually pretty happy with this but I do see some areas that will need a touch up.

I could not help myself and I jumped ahead a little and started working on the firewall as well.

Firewall-1_zpsl4oenp8t.jpg

Still a long way to go before I can turn my full attention to that. Next up is to add some of the detail that I have not fabricated yet as well as working on the instrument panel.

Joe

Latest posts

Back