Trumpeter Cougar AVGP

A nice thin wash will give them that dusty appearance. You can build it up accordingly too. Not a bad idea to hit them with some soap and water first though.

Thanks for all the help with the tires, everyone!!

P2140725.jpg
I sanded and washed the tires before mounting their hubs. They're dry-fitted for now. It sits level, and the tires are straight up and down, all in contact with the ground! Thank goodness. She's looking factory fresh right now.

P2140726.jpg
I experimented with the shroud over the main gun a while back. I remade it with tissue paper, painted it, gave it a wash with Citadel Gryphon Sepia, and highlighted it tonight. The strap and buckle are all shiny stuff I raided from a PE set for my Spring Contest build. I coated them with Tamiya brush-on Surface Primer in prep for painting. I hope it passes muster, Ken!

P2130724-1.jpg
And now for the ultimate exercise in patience... the barracuda cam net. Right now, it's a sheet of tissue paper that's been brushed with scenic cement to stiffen it up a bit. I'll be painting it in 3-color NATO cam tomorrow before I start the tedious process of punching out half-rounds with a cheap chisel I found at Michael's. I hope to finish that in the next couple days as the clear coat hardens on the model in prep for filtering, washing, pigmenting, aka the fun part!

Happy modelling! ;D ;D

Looking great ND!!! Daunting tasks lie ahead...think you have it all under control!!! Keep it going!!! ;)

She is looking mighty fine ND, can't wait to see that camo net

I airbrushed the camo net in the standard Nato 3-color cam. I was hoping it would bleed through to the other side of the tissue paper, but no luck. It's drying overnight. I won't get a chance to have a go at the underside until Thursday morning. Meh.
Clear coat's on the girl, and she's ready for a filter! Off I go! ;D

And I'm back...
P2150727.jpg
She got a filter from the AK NATO weathering set, and I'm applying a pin wash right now. Never having done this before, I referred to an entry from Mig's blog where he weathers a front-end loader (it seemed the most straightforward how-to I could find). He slops on a wash in the panel lines and stuff, then comes back later and cleans up the excess with a small brush dampened in spirits. Easy-peasy!

So that's what I did. I gave the entire hull a panel/detail wash, and I'm coming back after it's dried to scrub away the excess with a small brush & turpenoid (no fumes). Thank goodness for the non-fume issue, because I've been at it for two hours, and what you see is all I managed to get clean. The hull section in front of the driver hasn't been cleaned yet (you can still see excess wash around some bits). I've watched several vids on YouTube on doing a pin wash, and they all just seem to dab or slop it on, and they never seem to clean up the excess.

My eyeballs are about to fall out of their sockets. Is this normal for a pin wash? And I mean the look, the amount of time it's taking, the tediousness, the eyestrain, everything. ???

get you hands on Washes, fading and oils from AK done by Mig Jimenez he shows you exactly how its done,

hmm googled for a link for you and found this on you tube, watch it while you can because im sure its not ment to be there

*edit: video removed and thanks for your PM spud... no harm done but lets not promote copyright infringement ;D

oh yes i Highly recomend you Buying the DVD, im sure this will get removed soon

as for you doing the whole thing, i think you done too much. i think you should only do 1 section at a time let it for 15min and clean then do teh next area. But the thinners should still clean the excess.

Yeah, I tried to order this with my AK fluids, but they were out of stock. While it's very much appreciated, spud... my moral compass says no. But I appreciate the help!!

hehe good man ND i pmd Ken after posting to get it removed from youtube because it should not be up there, :) and ken thaks for removing the link i should have known better than to post it but ND was man enough not to watch it :)

ND i Highly reomend you finding a copy of it, Also the the one for the winter techiques as they are both fantastic and somthing you will watch more than once :)

No worries man and thanks again.

I've already spoke to Iain about it and it's all up to youtube now and they're pretty slow at times...

So here's where I am right now:
P2170726.jpg
Colour mod on the hull. Haven't got to the turret yet. I'll do that tomorrow evening and let it dry over the long weekend. I started on the barracuda cam net too. Should be finished soon!

BTW, is it too late to do the chipping? ???

Happy modelling! ;D

no you can do some now and just do some more weathering or blend it all in when you are finishing up

Didn't exactly take a week off here...

P2240724.jpg
Here's where I'm at. Sooo close!!
I 'chipped' with some lighter green paint, and came in with a pencil to fill in the marks. The chipped paint colour was standing out a little too much, so I gave everything another very mild colour filter.
I threw on some streaking grime and some faint rust streaks (they weren't that beat up when I drove them...). I then applied the rain marks, and may have been little too heavy, so I had to brush most of the upper hull away. The lower hull got the heavier treatment (sorry, not very visible in this pic :p ) in prep for dirt and mud (starting tomorrow).

P2240725.jpg
Oh, you like the camo net? Me too!! ;)
I rolled it up and gave it a quick dip in scenic cement to make it more pliable before sitting it carefully on the coffin bin. I did have to pick at it with some tweezers and a hobby knife to get it to stand up in spots and reveal more netting underneath. While I'm pretty happy with the results of this build so far, this has got to be the biggest success of them all, IMHO. With a light wash and some dust, it should pass muster! The sanded and drilled mount is ready for the antenna too. I used some thick CA and some kicker to get a nice ball shape on the end, and a dip in some medium CA, then held upside down, created a reasonable facsimile of the cone & ball antenna tips I was going on about early in this build.

Just mud, dust and some oil marks, and It'll be done! Happy modelling, everyone!

I think I overdid it.

P224072416-06-56.jpg

P224072516-06-56.jpg

From far away, it looks okay. But up close, you can see how much overspray got all over the turret and the top of the hull. It's Tamiya Buff and some plaster of paris, mixed into a slurry and blown onto the model from an old paintbrush. I think I had the airbrush pressure too high. Can this be toned down with a brown filter, or should I just 'live and learn,' finish it off and call it done?

Latest posts

Back