Trumpeter '64 Ford Falcon

Elm City Hobbies

Well against my better judgement, I started another kit. Our club had our monthly "Build Day" and I decided to get something new out.

7-110314092Q112.jpg

Our 25th anniversary show coming up at the end of May have a couple of themes, 110 years of Ford, and in conjunction with our Silver Anniversary show, we have a theme called "All things Silver". Basically anything painted silver, silver in the name (Rolls Royce Silver Cloud), silver anniversary version (25th anniversary Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, etc, etc), military operation (Any operation with silver in the name), or a NMF aircraft (not usually silver, more aluminum colors, but we won't split hairs over that).

So in my strive to kill 2 birds with one stone, I figured why not a Ford vehicle, painted Silver. One model, qualifies for 2 themes, and I have been wanting to build one of these Falcons for awhile.

So, the over all color will be obviously silver. The car has a wide body molding down each side with just screams to be masked off and painted another color, as well that same color would be carried over to the seat and door panel inserts of the interior. And since you don't see silver colored leather or cloth seats and carpet, I am probably going to go with a very light grey, something that could look like silver, just without the metallic sheen in it.

Now, the accent color, I am thinking is either going to be a vibrant red, which would stand out (think of the car in the above picture, same red on the stripe on the side, but the rest a nice silver color), or a vibrant blue, which would also stand out (but not as much as the red) but would also match better with a light grey, or light blue gray main interior color.

As well, thinking about going with these wheels:

1123.jpg

Pegasus' new set of Sovereign wheels. Nice 5 spoke mag like a set of T's, or Cragers, but with a nice subtle thin white wall.

Nothing much to show at this point, as I am just trying to get as much sub assemblies together to get into the paint booth for primer.

I am going to try a trick I picked up from one of the car modeler gurus in our club, and that is to foil the Ford lettering on the hood and trunk lid after the primer, but before the paint color. You then very gently use an X-Fine sand paper or stick to gently sand away the layer of paint on the chromed letters. Supposed make them look very realistic chromed letters, and saves having to need a steady hand to paint them, which never come out looking like chrome.

Should be fun!!

Cool :)

What do you think of the Trumpy kit Scott ? I was looking at this one the other day ,but wasnt sure how good or bad they are ?

Chris.

So far everything has fit quite well together. Some parts of the kit shows some brilliance, like the motor, very nicely detailed.

The interior, isn't bad, but no detail to the floor, just flat plastic. They would have you put decals on the dash for the instruments, molding and badging, but most of the molding and badging detail is built into it. Like the radio...decal for the radio, but the radio is molded into the dash, as well the decal has the Falcon name on it...but the Falcon letters are molded on the dash already. Speedo decal is fine, as well as the tach and gas gauge, but the where they sit in the dash, there is a raised nub in the middle, so it would never sit flat (PITA to get out as well).

Since it is going to be a mild custom (just with paint) I think I am just going to use the speedo and the 2 other gauges, and just paint the rest of the dash, try to pick out the Falcon lettering on the passenger side of the dash.

Couple of sink marks in locations that can be seen, one on the dash itself, but nothing that can't be fixed. Tons of knock out marks, but mostly where they can't be seen, and the ones that can be seen are easy enough to fix. Just alot of them...like 6 on the inside roof, bunch on the bottom of the chassis. Chassis pan itself is fairly simple, not alot of detail, simplified suspension, but it all fits together very well.

Trick with this kit will be trying to put a killer paint job on it. Going to play around with some sample test pieces, and some different colors I want to see how they are going to look before committing any colors to the body and interior.

How about going with Alclad II ALC-205 Holomatic Spectral Chrome

5.jpg

Of course, the shape of your vehicle may vary from the one in the above photo which, by the way, is being used for discussion purposes only and is an indirect advertisement of sorts for this product, thus making the manufacturer quite happy. ;) ;D

Ok, did some test panels of stripe colors.

Basically took a sheet of styrene, painted it silver and laid out the colors.

Styrene sheet was primed with Vallejo Black primer, then sprayed with Vallejo Air Silver. The pictures seemed to come out darker than it actually is, despite having lots of light over the test piece.

Anyway, here are the colors!

VallejoAirArticBlueMet_-vi.jpg
Vallejo Air Arctic Blue Metallic

VallejoAirScarletRed-vi.jpg
Vallejo Air Scarlet Red

VallejoAirTurnSignalRed-vi.jpg

Vallejo Air Turn Signal Red

VallejoAndreaBlue-vi.jpg
Vallejo Andrea Blue

VallejoIntenseBlue-vi.jpg
Vallejo Intense Blue

VallejoTrans_Blue-vi.jpg
Vallejo Transparent Blue

VallejoTransGreen-vi.jpg
Vallejo Transparent Green

VallejoTransparentRed-vi.jpg
Vallejo Transparent Red

VallejoUltraMarine-vi.jpg
Vallejo Ultramarine Blue

Showed my wife, and she likes either Intense Blue, or Ultramarine Blue as the outside stripe color and inside accent color.

Personally I think either the Scarlet Red or Turn Signal Red would pop more as a stripe, but doesn't mesh as well as an accent color for the interior color (Pale Blue Grey), which the blues would do.

The Transparent green I just did to see a green strip against the silver, and it came out very nicely, but again, doesn't really mesh with the interior color, but would be interesting to do on another car in the future.

I played around with a few effects as well. Basically a base color, then sprayed over with another color through the plastic mesh that comes on the mandarin orange boxes.

GunmetaloverBlack-vi.jpg
Vallejo Air Gunmetal over Black primer

GunmetaloverSilver-vi.jpg
Vallejo Air Gunmetal over Vallejo Air Silver

SilveroverGunmetal-vi.jpg
Vallejo Air Silver over Vallejo Air Gunmetal

The next 2 are hard to see as the color are so close, but it makes a cool ghost effect.

SilveroverSteel-vi.jpg
Vallejo Air Silver over Vallejo Air Steel

and my personal favorite:

SteeloverSilver-vi.jpg
Vallejo Air Steel over Vallejo Air Silver

If I do this, it will probably just be limited to the upper surfaces like the hood, roof and trunk lid. Just unsure if I should do it, or just go all silver. Might be too much with the effect, the stripe, etc, etc.

However, would look very cool as a ghosted in racing stripes over the hood, roof and trunk.

Anyway, that is the news fit for printing...what strip color would you go with?

Latest posts

Back