Trumpeter 1/35 M1127 Stryker

Ah, I see we have the famous 1/35 F/A-18 Hornet mobile armor variation in OD Livery ;D

:eek: When did this come up! By gosh, it seems that I've missed a lot of the action - thank goodness for the thread review feature!

$15? $15?!?! $15!!! I checked on Amazon and other online sites, and that price you got cannot be beat. I'm guessing you have a super duper LHS? Or was it a streak of luck?

You have really impressive work going on Myke. I spent the good part of this morning cereal in hand, reading every post in the thread in an almost scrutinizing fashion - and I would've had it no other way!

I love your paintwork, it especially shows on that stowage. All the details are extremely crisp, the entire build itself has a cleanliness like no other - until you weather it (?) (Any plans on that?)

What I want to see is how you slap paint on those figures! Those things are screaming for your master quality precision painting!

Keep it up man! ;D

HAHA, Yea, it doesn't fly very well but can really take a bullet.

Thanks for the incredibly kinds words fruit. I'm not sure how I'm going to get my head and inflated ego out of the door now!

Gonna weather this thing pretty lightly. I bought the AK Interactive NATO weathering set, so I'm going to add some filters here and there, do a little color modulation (in a poor mans kind of way), and add some rain streaks. I think I'll weather up the tires too, but I need to research some good techniques before I do that.

I have the figures base colors painted, and I think tonight I'm going to work on the desert camo for them.

The price tag was because it was a traded in item and some parts were missing. The box had most of the stowage removed from the sprue, and it was missing the PE parts for the racks that hold the jerry cans, and some of the mesh that goes over the suspension. Whoever had it before me did remove some of the big parts and clean them up so that was nice. I am also in pretty good with my LHS. A bunch of nice fellas there, and I always buy local when I can.

Thanks again for checking it out Fruit, stay tuned. Should have some more photos up tonight.

I don't think I've ever went off photos so much on one build. I just have no idea how to weather armor. Learning SO MUCH on this build. Thankfully though I haven't had anything set me back, but at the same time I've done plenty of experimenting.

On with the updates.

Weathered up the tires with some Flory Models Sand Wash.

WET

IMG_20120130_192216.jpg

DRY

IMG_20120130_214038.jpg

IMG_20120130_192149.jpg

Shot the body with some future to prep for the filters and washes.

IMG_20120130_192232.jpg

Painted up the details. Didn't get close up of the rest though. Sorry.

IMG_20120130_232001.jpg

Most of the close up photos I've seen of this show a white film that gets heavier towards the bottom, I'm assuming from the rain. So after experimenting, I think between the filter and the white wash It's going to look spot on. Only the tires and undercarriage are going to get any "muddy" weathering on it.

IMG_20120130_215720.jpg

Even my figures are starting to come to life.

IMG_20120130_231219.jpg

Thanks for following along.

I see, you have tissue paper that spans 4-5 so feet, and those must be real tires!

Weathering is no doubt a really great skill to learn, and I'm impressed that you've - what I believe - have mastered it! The wash on the tires really brought the life out in them, and they definitely look worn. I would think you plan to build a base with some sort of vegetation or artificial earth? If so, I would think that could help you with figuring out weathering perspectives and such - not that you need the help anyways ;)

I'm excited to see that stowage dress up this model - maybe then it'll look like a moving sandbag ;D

Loving the paint work on those figures Myke, make sure to get some real nice documentation on painting the faces!

Great job so far Myke!!! Those tires are certainly looking the part!!! Keep it going my friend!!! ;)

Very, very nice work on this Myke. This will be sooooo realistic. Agreed with 007 the tires and stowage look amazing. And that AK stuff is da bomb!!

Nice to see you are still working on her ! Looking forward to see more of it ....

and what's nice with the AKI stuff.... you can always brush some off !!! if you think you have overdone it !

I love that stuff !!!

Thanks everybody, you guys are too kind.
@Fruit: I thank you for the compliments but those tires are molded so well they are hard to mess up. This is my first armor build so I have a LOT to learn about weathering still. This has so far been a test of very careful experimentation. (Thus the reason it's taking so long)

@PA007: Thanks pal. Looking forward to getting to the AK stuff too. So far it's pretty impressive stuff. Oh and I'm in Ohio so i still spell it tires too. ;D I only lived across the pond for a little while. The wife is from there though ;-)

@TRM: Thanks dude. I'm more looking forward to seeing that boat finished up than I am getting this done. ha.

@FT: Cheers man, working to keep the weathering really subtle to make it realistic looking.

@Norm: Glad to see you are still watching, I was worried that you weren't checking on to keep me on track with accuracies! ;D Need all the help I can get on this one.

Ok.., enough of the hug fest..., on to some more work

WEATHERFEST 2012

Here is the plan (after a lot of testing).
[size=14pt]
IMG_20120202_093131.jpg

1. Flory wash: to get that white dusty scuffed look on the surface. I love this stuff because it's completely water based and you can easily control how much or little you want left on the surface. It comes off easy but not tooooo easy.
2. Pin washes: After adding this and removing the excess, it further mutes down the Flory wash.
3. Filter: Adding the filter in various areas and thickness further mutes the Flory wash even more and adds more of that fading to the surface.

So far it's been successful. The photos are still pretty bad but here is what it looks like so far.

What it looks like with the wash on. This is a very light coat and spread pretty thin.
IMG_20120202_093003.jpg

Here is the wash mostly removed and the pin wash in place.

IMG_20120202_093041.jpg

And here it is with a super light filter applied to it. Nearly drybrushed on.

IMG_20120202_100257.jpg

Back to work now. I'll post more once I get the body done.

Thanks for following.

:eek: Moi ? Accuracy checker ??? no sir e !

LOL Just glad you are working on a Stryker dude ! I have tons on my shelf crying to be started and I am a little jealous that you have one ... well "almost one" under your belt ! I just Pre-Ordered and paid for a M1129 Mortar Stryker at HLJ... should be in by March some time.... it looks Awesome... so if you are looking for another great Stryker body AFV ? there are lots for you to Tease your interest !

I have a Canadian A.T. (TOW) LAV III built but not in the painting stage yet.... I might get to that one now... I kind of miss it !!! seeing you work on yours...

I have to finish the UAE BMP-3, the Viper VII and ARC-170 I have on my bench first thou !!!

I'll see !

but don't think I am snooping around to make sure you get all the details right on yours....??? why would I do that ? LOL Accuracy ? that's for A.R. People ! LOL

Later buy guy !

Norm.

haha. Norm that what I'm hoping you will do. You can also help me with this beast. This is what I want to build now after seeing it at my LHS. This thing is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HBB85502.jpg

Awesome review and detail photos showing all the PE here. http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=9260

Sounds like you have your hands full bud, I'd love to see that LAV III painted up. I didn't pay much attention to this one when I was building it up in the beginning and I wish now I would have. This makes me think I'm going to have to pick up another one and maybe add that interior to it. I'd like to have one in the Desert sand/pink color and another in the NATO camo, and heavily weathered.

Thanks for hanging out Norm!

Wow! you have that? Myke! You're my hero!

I hesitated to buy it....when it came out..... But since I had the FAUN, I started last year...to finish.... I wanted to wait before I get this one!

It's a beautiful thing isn't it!

You sure know how to pick them!

Later buddy!

I haven't bought it.... yet!
I have a feeling it will be in my stash very very very soon though. ;D

My LHS has it for about 20 bucks more than what I've seen online.

It will be mine!

Just looked over all the pages again myke taught I might see somit i could rob :D looking killer fella I hope mine turns out just as good :)

Thanks Spud :D

Did you find anything? I kinda had most of it built before I started the thread.

the wiring of the smoke launchers, i think ill rob that idea :) and send you my bags for painting ;D

Latest posts

Back