Trumpeter 1/35 M1127 Stryker

I just receive the Resin Engin for that kit... just Awesome !!!

man oh man.... me and those resin A.M. kit !

I might get that stryker.... I like the Roof details...

This is killer Myke! Looking awesome...super clean build. After seeing this and all Norms reviews I need to get a Stryker sometime. Such a cool machine.

Scott Girvan said:
This is killer Myke! Looking awesome...super clean build. After seeing this and all Norms reviews I need to get a Stryker sometime. Such a cool machine.

a "LAV III" could be a nice "Canadian variant" addition to your large collection of model
My Canuk friend

Scott building Armor? Where should I pin the cross? Your a Saint!

LoL

Thanks for all the kind words folks!

@Scott: I was thinking the other day while building this that it really wouldn't be a stretch to turn this thing into something Sci-Fi(ey) or Mad Max(ish) should you choose to go down that route. Might break poor Norm's heart but you have options.

So after a little delay in the action, I'm back at it.

Needed to get all the detail added to the right side of the vehicle.

IMG_20111101_180858.jpg

Step 24 here really focuses directly on these spare drive shafts (I think that's what they are). All the parts swivel freely but not for any real purpose. Most of the photos I've seen of these things don't include them, or there is only one. But.., I like them so they got glued down.

IMG_20111101_180852.jpg

(Never mind the PE, it's not glued down yet ;-) )

IMG_20111107_215822.jpg

The rest of the right side detail added. I have to say these basket thingies are the most difficult part of the build. They are fiddly and you have to make sure they are cleaned up perfectly.

IMG_20111107_161640.jpg

Speaking of PE!!! On to some of that.

IMG_20111107_205235.jpg

Grills added!

IMG_20111107_161649.jpg

And finally got the pulley/winch parts added. I like these being on the vehicle because the pulley systems on them are the some of the only parts on the Stryker that are not dark green.

IMG_20111107_161705.jpg

Almost there now.

IMG_20111107_200606.jpg

My goal is to have all the construction completed by tomorrow. I'll then clean up any rough spots, add some scratch details, then on to painting.

Thanks for following, and if anyone knows what that dark green color is on this thing in Vallejo model air..., I'd like to give that a go when I paint this bad boy.
Also..., with dark green..., what would be a good base coat / primer for this?

I dont know a whole lot about modern vehicles but I believe that is a towing bar on the side of the hull.

I would personally prime with black under the green but thats just my preference.

Yeah! Myke.... As Ken mentioned..... Those tubes you think are driveshafts.... Is actually a self recovery Towbar! Which is standard now on most vehicles! One vehicle should be able to temporally tow it's own "kind" till the real recovery vehicle can assist! M984 But only used if the disabled vehicle is road worthy! You don't want to drag a dead horse!

Thanks Ken and Norm. Since those are tow bars that could lend to a cool dio option.
Thanks again for clarifying, half of the things on this Stryker I'm completely guessing at. haha

Learning a lot on this build!

Construction phase is finally done.

Some shots of the finished product minus the jerry cans, and some wiring detail.

IMG_20111114_212923.jpg

IMG_20111114_213307.jpg

IMG_20111114_213358.jpg

IMG_20111114_212656.jpg

IMG_20111114_212736.jpg

IMG_20111114_212755.jpg

IMG_20111114_212824.jpg

IMG_20111114_212847.jpg

IMG_20111114_212852.jpg

IMG_20111114_212917.jpg

IMG_20111114_212937.jpg

IMG_20111114_212944.jpg

IMG_20111114_212953.jpg

IMG_20111114_212713.jpg

Next up; clean up some rough edges, add some wiring detail, then add the anti slip coating on the top panels.

How would you do an anti-slip coating? I've heard about stippling Mr Surfacer or Mr Dissolve Putty with a short bristle brush once it becomes tacky. Got some of both on order, and just waiting for it to come in!

Thanks guys for the compliments!!

ND: I've used Mr. Surfacer 1000 in the past, but only to texture seats. It works really well for that but I'm hesitant to use it for this. It's a little to random for the anti-slip surface I think. It would also be difficult to sand down areas around all the fine detail. Probably something I should have thought about earlier, but then again, when I bought this kit, I wasn't really going to detail it up. I'm thinking of thin white glue and super fine sand. I'll do some tests of the different techniques and post them.

In the mean time..., more pics.

Finished up the figures. I doubt I'll use the fella on the left (driver), he's not very visible when in the vehicle.

IMG_20111115_122029.jpg

The instructions don't include this dude, but he's on the sprue. I found the gun for him, but there is no helmet. I assembled him anyways, but I'm not sure if he'll be used.

IMG_20111115_122047.jpg

Here is all the left over plastic, used in other versions I think is a safe assumption.

IMG_20111115_121349.jpg

And finally some left over PE. There are some belts on there I'll use for the stowage but other than that, it's all stuff I didn't use. In to the scrap box all this stuff goes.

IMG_20111115_121448.jpg

Back to the bench.

Later fellas.

Looking good..I started on one of these a year ago but put it on the back burner. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Super nice clean build Myke !! lots of lovely detail in these things ;D and look at all those handy spares ;)

Chris.

Myke ! if not too late ! the Engine Intake Grill is upside-down ! you see it shinning in the picture.. the reliefs should be UP ! you might be able to pull it up if not glued down too securely !

SORRY !
http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q378/mykefootie/Trumpeter%20M1127%20Stryker/IMG_20111114_213307.jpg

Are you going to install the Suspension Shrouds ? The Photo etch ones ? or plastic ones ? They need to be there...
SORRY !
http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q378/mykefootie/Trumpeter%20M1127%20Stryker/IMG_20111114_212953.jpg

It’s a nice kit and I might just get one.... I like the BIG Thermal / Target acquisition Sight ! What a monster.... must weight a Ton... (figure of speech)

No kidding !!! They even put a Hoist on the Roof to bring it down !!! LOL
Hence the Big Pole on the behind the hatches with the Hand cranked winch !

Keep up the good work....

Myke said:
ND: I've used Mr. Surfacer 1000 in the past, but only to texture seats. It works really well for that but I'm hesitant to use it for this. It's a little to random for the anti-slip surface I think. It would also be difficult to sand down areas around all the fine detail. Probably something I should have thought about earlier, but then again, when I bought this kit, I wasn't really going to detail it up. I'm thinking of thin white glue and super fine sand. I'll do some tests of the different techniques and post them.

I'm almost ready to prime my hull, and anti-slip is the last thing to do on my list. I have some really fine stone railroad ballast & fine ground cork ballast(leaning towards the cork, as it'll absorb some of the thin glue for a better bond), as well as some Mr Surfacer (finally!!). I'll try it tonight on a scrap piece of styrene as well.

NORM!!!!!! Help me man!

Ok, which one is the engine intake? is that the long skinny one? I can flip that one, but the others are glued down, and the big one only goes one way.

And.. I think I put the shrouds on already, they are the plastic ones... I'll go back and double check but I don't think I have any more pieces. I would have put the PE ones on but when I assembled the lower part I was just rushing through it.

Also... where do you get those ShinSenGumi Camo decals at? I did a brief search but didn't know if you had a good source. Do you know the colors of the camo too if I opted to paint the figures? I'm pretty sure the instructions are not accurate. The one called for pink and royal blue and something else ridiculous.

Thanks for the help pal! Really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back