Trumpeter 1/35 Geschützwagen Tiger für 17cm Kanone (or Big Honkin Gun)

Big-John said:
Tony Lee might be able to recomend a set of tracks for this.

I know he's used the Fruile tracks for his build, but Im not sure if there is a specific set for the GW Tiger. They are a bit out of my price range anyways. Hobby Boss makes a set in styrene thats priced right @ $10 a set and made for the Dragon or Tamiya King Tiger, i think thier sprockets are a little bigger. Still wont know if they fit til I would get them here. Might be worth the expense.

edit: I just did an experiment using the extra sprocket parts from the kit, and I can make it fit by removing certain cogs and sanding a few down. Ill leave the rest that dont interfere with the track in place. Also gives me a bit more slack too.

Carsenault said:
Big-John said:
Tony Lee might be able to recomend a set of tracks for this.

I know he's used the Fruile tracks for his build, but Im not sure if there is a specific set for the GW Tiger. They are a bit out of my price range anyways. Hobby Boss makes a set in styrene thats priced right @ $10 a set and made for the Dragon or Tamiya King Tiger, i think thier sprockets are a little bigger. Still wont know if they fit til I would get them here. Might be worth the expense.

Some thing to watch out for. HB tracks might be early tracks for the 9 tooth drive sprocket. I haven't seen them, so I cant tell you what they are. Might do some investigating before you commit to them.

I wonder if they just used the tracks out of the E-100 for this kit, probably about the same size.

**Edit, just counted the number of roadwheels per side on the E-100 and it is only 8, yours has 11, so the track on yours would be longer, but I bet it is the same design track and same wheel and sprocket sprues as in the E-100.

They are similar to the E100 tracks, wether they use the late KT or the E100 tracks is beyond me. Im leaning on the late King Tiger tracks, since the GW Tiger shares much of its parts with the KT. From what I can tell though, the Hobby Boss tracks are meant to be used with the Tamiya or Dragon King Tigers. I measured the 9 tooth sprocket on my Dragon Henschel turret KT and its 23mm in diameter versus 22mm for the Trumpeter. I bet the Trumpeter tracks fit the Dragon 9 tooth sprocket perfectly.

Gonna make do with what I got since I dont want to get bogged down waiting for parts to arrive. Besides this, I have another build planned for the contest, plus another on the go that needs to be done by the end of may for a regional hobby show. Im contemplating building some type of assembly jig to try and form the tracks over. They are not very flexible, so Id like to get the proper sag formed before I put the tracks on the model.

I got to work on the buisiness end of this monster, the K72 Kanone (aka Big Honkin Gun) earlier this week. That was another model in itself. Not totally done yet, I have to leave some bits un-attached til after I paint. Otto is here again tonight to show the K72's size. The barrel alone was over 30 feet long in real life.

001_zps0dad65ba.jpg

004_zps662c73dc.jpg

No new pictures to post yet. All the sub assemblies have been built, so Im starting the painting process now, might still have some seams to fix.

I stumbled accross this picture this morning on facebook. Its from a Life magazine collection and features the K72 canon in its natural habitat... And the pic is in color. Should be a great weathering reference.

903187_506587146069982_1885855458_o.jpg

Life have some of the best images from WWII and are great reference,

great build so far mate, really love the shade of primerred you used. And the canon looks mighty fine already!

Cheers

Wow your moven right along with this build. Looks super so far. Cant wait to see the final photo shots of the completed kit. Ill be watchen this one.

:eek: It's big and it's interesting.......... How's the build comin along ? :p

Latest posts

Back