Trumpeter 1/35 Geschützwagen Tiger für 17cm Kanone (or Big Honkin Gun)

Carsenault

Here's my first entry for the SMA 2013 Big Spring Contest, entering this in the Armor category. This is the Trumpeter 1/35 Geschützwagen Tiger für 17cm Kanone. Its a late WW2 motorized gun carriage capable of carrying the big K72 170mm long range cannon. It could fire a 68kg shell a distance of over 25 kilometres (about 15 miles). Fortunately for the Allies, the Geschutwagen never saw combat, the nearly complete prototype was captured by British soldiers just before VE day. They used the King Tiger drivetrain, suspension, wheels and tracks, but on an elongated chassis. The 170mm cannon could be removed from the carriage and left in place on the battlefield.

003_zps063ea921.jpg

Here's a pic looking into the gun bay of the captured chassis at the end of WW2...
GTiger-insides.jpg

I have never seen one of these; that thing was huge! This will be fun to see go together. :)

Les said:
I have never seen one of these; that thing was huge! This will be fun to see go together. :)

It is big, I just measured the tub, its almost 11 inches long. Im thinking I will paint up a figure to use as a scale reference.

Yeah ...it is a big kit !! Had one in my hands a few days ago . Looking forward to this one :)

Chris.

cool one mate, this one is on my wish list for a looooooooooong time...there was planned a sturmmörser variation of it as well if I'm not mistaken

Looking forward to it!

Cheers

oh i want this kit but its very pricy.

will you be doing it as it was captured or as an active one?

This is gonna be a fun build I think, once I get passed the filling of the ejection pin holes... 8)

005_zpsaac5c353.jpg

Yesterday I spent a few hours cleaning up all 44 road wheel halves, before shooting a quick coat of hull red on the inner surfaces. Then I joined the inner and outer wheels. Once that was done I began working on the chassis, installing all 22 swing arms plus the final drive housings and idler wheel mount. Did I say this thing was gonna be big? It will be huge! I couldnt resist a test fit of some of the exterior bits.

001_zps35de60c3.jpg

006_zps59ce6289.jpg

007_zps5b067eba.jpg

Right now Im cleaning up some of the exterior armor and filling/sanding the ejector pin marks. Once that is done, ill mix up a bit of home made tamiya red oxide to spray over the inner surfaces. Besides the well detailed K72 "Kanone", this kit also has a fairly nicely detailed interior.

Latest posts

Back