Trumpeter 1/35 BM-21 MRL Grad

Hi guys,

thanks ER and Bizarre for the likes!
Yup, Iran used this MRL during the war with Iraq.
Some of the Iranian Grads were also mounted on Mercedes chassis.
The Sepah Pasdaran logo is actually similar to the Hezbollah of Lebanon.
I saw one pic of this one of my warfare books and that is what inspired me to do this.
If I didnt use this scheme, I would be doing this as a Northern Alliance BM-21 which I also like. :)

I already did the chipping and the kit is on a final hurdle on the weathering.
The chipping method that I did is one that was suggested by Mig Jimenez on his blogsite.
It is the sponge technique.
What we did here is to use an enamel paint (I prefer Tamiya Red Brown plus German Grey), and then mix it to create a shade somewhat similar to oxidized steel.
What I did is to drop a small blob of each enamel paint on a paper.
Using a small sponge or brush, mix it well so as it would appear grey-brown.
Once done, dip the sponge on the mixture then brush off the paint on another part of the paper.
This is similar to drybrushing.
Now, we dont want a wet sponge to be brushed on the model so the sponge should just be barely damp.

DSC_9334.jpg

DSC_9333.jpg

After doing this, touch the model surface using the sponge to create some random chipped effect.
Do this on areas that are most likely to experience wear and tear like door edges, surfaces, hinges etc.
I did mine a bit heavy as this is on a battlefield plus the fact that there are sandstorms and Haboob in the Gulf that could have sandblasted the paint on the Ural truck.

If you dont want the effect, you can simply clean it off with a small brush dipped on a paint thinner, white spirit or lighter fluid. :)

I also have the AK and MIG chipping effects but havent used it yet as I plan to use it on the 2S3 Akatsiya as it has a lot of flat surface thus a wide area to practice on. :)

Here are some of my progress:

The engine hood:
DSC_9338.jpg

DSC_9341.jpg

DSC_9354.jpg

DSC_9361.jpg

Under sides:
DSC_9369.jpg

DSC_9368.jpg

other parts like fuel tanks, flat bed and doors:
DSC_9356.jpg

DSC_9358.jpg

DSC_9374.jpg

DSC_9378.jpg

Enjoy guys!

Iking

FINISHED: Trumpeter 1/35 BM-21 MRL Grad

Hi guys,

Here is my latest finished kit after a weeklong hiatus!

Background:
This is the Trumpeter BM-21 Grad (Hail) multiple rocket launcher (MRL) system.
The BM-21 is basically a 40-barrelled, 122mm (4.8in) rocket launcher mounted on a 6x6 truck chassis which is usually a URAL or ZIL truck.
It was developed in the 1950s and can be considered as a grandchild of the famous World War II rocket launcher, the Katyusha rocket system.
The BM-21 rocket uses a solid-fuel rocket which can carry a variety of high explosive (HE), fragmentation, incendiary and assortment of subunitions.
Known for unwanted dispersals that contributes to its inaccuracy, the Grad serves its purpose as a saturation weapon that can bombard huge amount of area with its continuous firepower.
The Grad was widely used during conflicts in Afghanistan, Iran-Iraq War, and Chechnya.
A modified BM-21 rocket exists today and is widely used by Hezbollah and Hamas in the conflicts in Mid-East.

The Kit:
The kit is molded in light grey plastic with sharp details.
Wheels are molded in black vinyl plus there is a photoetch sheet for delicate parts.
As typical of Trumpeter kits, the plastic is a bit delicate than other kits like Tamiya.
However, the assembly is easy to medium in difficulty.
The only difficulty I had is with the suspensions as alignment of wheels are a real challenge on almost every wheeled armored vehicles.
Modifications were made to simulate battlefield damage and wear.
Wirings and plumbings were also added on the engine compartment and rocket launcher systems.

Finishing and Weathering:
The kit is finished in light sand color by using Tamiya Dark Yellow and Flat White.
I painted it with sand color as I want to make a replica of a BM-21 MRL that was used during the Iran-Iraq War as shown on my reference book.
The light sand color was complimented with washes from AK Interactive as well as DAK Filters and streaking grimes.
Pigments were from Vallejo and Mig Productions.
Decals were custom printed as these are showing Iranian Revolutionary Guard markings.

As common with the Iranian practice during the Iran-Iraq War, propaganda slogans were written.
The script on the right-hand door is handpainted with Vallejo and written in Farsi script that says ‘Marg bar Saddam’ (Down with Saddam).
A custom printed poster of the Imam Khomeini is also attached on the windshield as made common by Iranian soldiers at that time.

Added weathering was done with chippings using the sponge technique.
Paints used for this effect are Tamiya German Grey and Red Brown.

Assortments of stowage are from spares’ box.
Of typical note is the prayer mat that was painted using Vallejo acrylics.
Prayer mats are a must for Iranian soldiers during that time.

The wheels were weathered with accumulated dust and mud using pigments and pigment resins.
What I did is cut a small portion of foam board.
Lather it with pigment resin.
Spread a mixture of your pigments.
Roll the wheel
DSC_9402.jpg

Here are the finished photos:

grad-4.jpg

grad-1.jpg

grad-2.jpg

grad-3.jpg

grad-5.jpg

grad-6.jpg

grad-7.jpg

grad-8.jpg

grad-9.jpg

grad-10.jpg

grad-11.jpg

grad-12.jpg

grad-13.jpg

grad-14.jpg

grad-15.jpg

DSC_9406.jpg

Interior shots:

DSC_9014.jpg

DSC_9013.jpg

DSC_9010.jpg

I'd say that Trumpeter did a good job on this kit!
It is a must have for every armor modeler more importantly for Russian armor enthusiasts!

Cheers and happy modeling guys!

Iking

Well done, that is a cool looking truck, beat up and filthy. The weathering and spongework turned out quite nicely indeed!

Thanks a lot Biskup, CaveD and Grendels!:D
Im glad you like my build and finish!

Ill post more of my works here:)

Cheers!

Iking

truly impressive work Iking! i love the little touches like the Farsi script and poster! and the weathering is awesome! thanks for the tip about the wheels!

FINISHED Trumpeter 1/35 BM-21 MRL Grad

andrei383 said:
truly impressive work Iking! i love the little touches like the Farsi script and poster! and the weathering is awesome! thanks for the tip about the wheels!

thank you very much andrei! yup im happy to help and share the tips that i have learned also :D

cheers and more power!

iking

Latest posts

Back