Truckbed Trailer COMPLETE BUILD

ArtChromer

Taking a small break from my foxbody build and grabbed some popsicle sticks for a change of pace. I have had this little gluebomb Chevy truckbed since I blew the complete truck up with firecrackers when I was maybe 10/11 years old. I've always hung onto this little bed and I never knew why until now. I worked down a few sticks and I hope to create a real wood bed for a little pull behind trailer for another rig in the future. I have scratched out a frame from square rod and I am almost on my way to paint. I went ahead and threw together a pallet out of the scraps. Hope to get some realistic results on the finished product. Stay tuned...
IMG_0603.JPG
IMG_0605.JPG
IMG_0612.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG
IMG_0614.JPG
IMG_0615.JPG

Got the hitch roughed out, using some clicktop ink pen parts. With some putty and some grinding, I was able to turn this Ford tailgate into a plain tailgate. Used some gentle heat from a candle to get the bodywork correct. I am currently scratching out some leaf springs and an axle. Got a fairly good idea with my mock up, where this is headed.
IMG_0617.JPG
IMG_0620.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG
IMG_0625.JPG

Stuck on suspension fab. Wanted to take a break, but I needed a bin for all my parts on this build. Out of my frustration came a little organization.;)

I figured out how I would mount the springs to the frame, but can't figure a realistic way to mount the axle to the springs just yet. I can hear my rat brain scratching around so the solution is near. Some final welds and off to the booth...
IMG_0632.JPG

I forgot to hit the post button earlier, so that's why I have such lightening quick results...

Figured my way out of my suspension problem and fashioned some leaf spring shackles and U-bolts with some wire and flat stock. Got a final mock up before I paint it tomorrowIMG_0639.JPGIMG_0641.JPGIMG_0656.JPG

COMPLETED!
Thank you all for following along. I have been away from my computer so I apologize in advance for the post length. Got this thing in primer, and then the rest fell together before I could think to make another post. I wrapped it up today. I spent a while on paint and made a wire harness with electrical tape and everything. I snapped a few pics along the way. Any questions, feel free to ask.
IMG_0693.JPGIMG_0713.JPGIMG_0726.JPGIMG_0728.JPGIMG_0729.JPGIMG_0731.JPGIMG_0733.JPGC2ED3359-457D-4867-87AE-5AB41462F0FF.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0711.JPG
    IMG_0711.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0706 2.JPG
    IMG_0706 2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Great scratchbuild! I like your use of the popsicle sticks-classic scratchbuilding move. I like them for making wooden floors for dioramas.
Your build takes me back to when I was a kid, and my dad had that same Chevy truck. I remember the first time one of the old floorboards cracked and lost a piece. I noticed then that there was nothing between me and the highway.

How did you weather the wooden sticks?
I mocked up the final fit, spaced apart how they would lay in the finished piece, onto duct tape. I took a few different tools (hammer, pliers, dental scrapers) took out a small amount of aggression. Then from there, I started with light brown, and a little rust enamel from Testors and brushed them on full strength, then added black and dark brown to my wash and dry brushed until I got the grime i was looking for. The best part is the more you goof it, the more it looks the part. No uniformity. The wood is reluctant to accept the enamel, so you have a good amount of time to work and a good bit will wipe away if you go too far.

Taking a small break from my foxbody build and grabbed some popsicle sticks for a change of pace. I have had this little gluebomb Chevy truckbed since I blew the complete truck up with firecrackers when I was maybe 10/11 years old. I've always hung onto this little bed and I never knew why until now. I worked down a few sticks and I hope to create a real wood bed for a little pull behind trailer for another rig in the future. I have scratched out a frame from square rod and I am almost on my way to paint. I went ahead and threw together a pallet out of the scraps. Hope to get some realistic results on the finished product. Stay tuned...

View attachment 706
I deal with tons of pallets every day hahaaa you caught me of guard on this one I LOVE IT ahhahaha I will take this picture to show my friends at work.

Latest posts

Back