Transformers Bumblee plamo build

stevethefish

My name's actually not Steve
No, not the Bumblebee model kit that Trumpeter made; this is the VW Beetle kit by Aoshima. Actually this is originally a kit by Imai, and Aoshima bought the molds when Imai went under. Aoshima also bought Imai's molds for Speed Racer, Mospeada, Thunderbirds, and other series.

I wanted to buy this kit and build it up as Bumblebee because I have a sheet of Autobot decals. The kit doidn't cost much. When I took it home, I realized that it was another one of those car kits that sacrifices accuracy to accommodate a battery compartment. In the '70s and '80s of the Showa Period, such motorized car models were pretty standard in Japan. The seats are raised up to allow a battery to fit underneath. I am pretty sure that Aoshima has another Beetle kit that is not like that, but I do not know which one. I once worked for Aoshima 6 years ago, but never got around to studying their Beetle kits.

Since it had room for a battery compartment, I decided to go all out and light this kit up.I placed a battery pack for two AAA batteries, wired up a switch, and have the headlights, tail lights, and even the license plate lamp lit up. I used an 0402 SMD from HDA Modelworx for the license plate lamp. The headlights and tail lights are standard 3MM LEDs, but I placed diffuser caps onto the tail light LEDs. I took these pictures last night before I realized that I still need to attach the windshield wipers.

I forget who makes the Autobot emblem decals. They were given to me by an internet friend. I could really go for GI Joe decals too, I think.
bumblebee1.jpg
bumblebee2.jpg
bumblebee3.jpg

I have plenty of Autobot decals left over, so I plan to also build Wheeljack from the legacy Tamiya Lancia Stratos kit, Sideswipe from Fujimi's Lamborghini kit, and Smokescreen from Arii's '79 Nissan Fairlady. Oh, and I also have the Porche Martini kit from Italeri I plan to build as Jazz.

Heck, one could definitely build a Macross Valkyrie and do it in Jetfire's colors with these decals. HMMM...

This is awesome, love the LED work.

I'm also excited to see the possibility of more JP Plamo turned Transformer!

Alright, that makes sense. I gotta look for smaller switches all of mine base mount well, but none are small enough to kit mount, lol.

As I'm considering my build, I'm thinking just making the back seat removable and going with no switch. Battery in = power on, battery not in = power off, lol.

As I'm considering my build, I'm thinking just making the back seat removable and going with no switch. Battery in = power on, battery not in = power off, lol.
Here is how I did mine. Again, the seats are for midgets because they are raised to accommodate the battery compartment. There is a detachable door on the bottom. The kit came with no metal parts that were originally meant for battery contacts as it once did in the '80s. Instead, I used that empty compartment to place my own battery pack. You'll see the tiny white switch to the right.

Attachments

• DSCN7126.JPG
    DSCN7126.JPG
    374.8 KB · Views: 4
Here is how I did mine. Again, the seats are for midgets because they are raised to accommodate the battery compartment. There is a detachable door on the bottom. The kit came with no metal parts that were originally meant for battery contacts as it once did in the '80s. Instead, I used that empty compartment to place my own battery pack. You'll see the tiny white switch to the right.
Well, now I have to see if I have any old toys or anything kicking around I can repurpose a switch from, lol.
This was clever, and that switch does look like the same thing that was on every couple dollar die cast car from childhood.

These switches cost only 10 cents or something, so it's easier to just buy them. I just buy electronics stuff online and I think most people do this. I hear that Radio Shack in the USA is long gone, as is Fry's Electronics. Options are rather limited. I live in a small town, so the price of shipping is better than getting into my car and driving anywhere, especially with gas prices going up.

These switches cost only 10 cents or something, so it's easier to just buy them. I just buy electronics stuff online and I think most people do this. I hear that Radio Shack in the USA is long gone, as is Fry's Electronics. Options are rather limited. I live in a small town, so the price of shipping is better than getting into my car and driving anywhere, especially with gas prices going up.
I don't know if they were chain or not, but n Okinawa there was a PC store called Goodwill, they had oodles of good stuff. There were also little RadioShack sized shops with nothing but components, I don't know the names of any of those in JP though.
Shipping is usually the killer.

Latest posts

Back