TOS Enterprise Captains Chair - Papermodel

Papermodder

Modeller in both Plastic and Paper Card
Hello everyone.
This past Easter weekend I took a break from the Me-329 project, to do something different.
The template for this came available last week and I could not resist building it.
A change that I did to the model, and since I have not done a lighting project myself, was to build this as an experiment and to light the display panels on the chair.
The chairs scale is 1/6th.
I've had this idea of using overhead transparencies for back-lit panels on papermodels for a while, thinking this might be a good project to give it a try.
First cutout the paper display panels on the arms and for the overlays. Light block the area with black poster board behind the panel area, leaving the display area open. An overlay frame for the display is applied to give them depth.
A copy of the displays were printed onto an overhead transparency, and the displays cutout. These were then glued to the overly frames on the arms. A piece of white normal printer paper is applied to the back of the display to act as diffusion. Then a blackout box is assembled around the back of the displays. Into this box is a reflector of white printer paper and the LEDs. This is then glued into place over the display area.

Panel5_zps57dd43d2.jpg

Panel6_zps6fe3b8c3.jpg

Here is a lighting test of the left arm.

Panel3_zpsa8049e6b.jpg

Then went ahead and assembled the base of the chair.
This is a test of the lit panels on the completed base.

BaseChair_zpsbaf6cd58.jpg

From that point the rest of the chair was assembled and fastened to a wooden artists canvas that was painted black and a piece of tan paper applied to simulate the floor of the bridge. Inside the base was mounted the battery and on/off switch. In order to hold the shape of the back of the chair. It was stuffed with a cotton ball.
Here is the final result.

Chair1_zps3d99a0c2.jpg

Chair2_zps4e51e7d3.jpg

Chair4_zpsaae1fbc6.jpg

Chair5_zps4cb981fe.jpg

Chair6_zps70e009bb.jpg

Chair7_zps6d909ff4.jpg

I forgot to attach a couple of data cards, so here is the final pic.

Chair8_zps86375517.jpg

Hope you enjoy and thank you for following.

Jim

Thank you John.
Yes for me 4 days is like a record.
Though there are not that many pieces and most are simpler shapes.
The lighting took one day, actually one evening, and those arm rests were a little tricky.

Jim

Thank you Patrick.
I've been thinking the same thing. Will have to look and see what can be found.

Jim

Latest posts

Back