Timeslip 1/350 Action VI Transport

That kit looks nice!

Can't wait to see what you're going to do with it! ;)

nicholassagan said:
Either that or some Homeworld 2 or Chris Foss-inspired scheme.

Vaygr? 8) That would be soooo good looking! ;D

Really cool model, saw this on the Starship Modeler store, gotta say I wouldn't mind having one! And yes, go for a Chris Foss style paint job, awesome!

I just did a quick Google search for Vaygr and boy, some nice patterns there!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Vaygr&aq=f&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&authuser=0&ei=e746UYupBqXDygHo0oGoDg&biw=1218&bih=744&sei=fr46UcCKE8bzyAHguoDQDQ

I'll have to start sketching!!!

Also...this is a really nice kit but really does need some love in all the right places...mainly ALL the joints. I will also be super-detailing this with greeblies vinyl and PE, etc...tastefully done for 1/350, of course. 8)

nicholassagan said:
Thanks! You can get it at the Starship Modeler Store
http://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/product/2522_107/1350-bulk-transport---wild-karrde.cfm
But I ordered my direct....

Thanks for the tip. I'll watch this closely and maybe...

If you are not certain about using conventional hairspray you may consider using AK Interactive "Worn effects" and/or "heavy chipping" solutions: They require them same procedure as haispray, but are more consitent in their effect. They are a charm to work with and even 3-4 days after applying the chipping solution and paint overlay they function without any problem: You just need to let the water on a little longer. The soltions can be airbrushes or paint-brushed onto the surface. In any case, if you haven't tried it before you should test them on some scrap piece or older model.

Cheers!

Another small bit of progress. I decided to keep going with the general assembly portions and added the engine section to the main bulk. Turns out I didn’t really need to fill and sand the seam on it because it’s hidden by the engine shroud. Take note. The nozzles have these neat little cutouts too that I removed the flash from. They’ll need a little bit of filing to get a cleaner opening. Another note: it’d be better to open those spots before mounting the engine tubes to the base. It wasn’t a huge deal but there are a couple on the inside of the array that are slightly more difficult to get to.
ac6_img_2097.jpg

ac6_img_2100.jpg

Also, when I went at cleaning the main seam, I was a tad aggressive so a bunch of strips were added to make it cleaner and more flush. AND so the head portion can be easily ‘toggled’.

ac6_img_2098.jpg

ac6_img_2099.jpg

The cargo doors that will be removed are marked here. They will be open at three different levels and a box will be built on the inside. I think a nice mesh or screen will work as module separators...

ac6_img_2106.jpg

Lastly, I mounted the magnets for the battery access mechanism.

ac6_img_2113.jpg

ac6_img_2114.jpg

ac6_img_2115.jpg

ac6_img_2116.jpg

Awesome work here, I love this kit, it'll be on "the list" someday hehe! What kind of colors are you thinking?

Thanks guys! I sure do love magnets!!

As for colors...I'm still up in the air and will let inspiration find me. :p But I'm ruminating on something Chris Foss/Homeworld-esque. There are some earlier posts with example ideas...

started the good old fiber hole drilling and light blocking

ac6_img_2122.jpg

ac6_img_2123.jpg

ac6_img_2128.jpg

ac6_img_2129.jpg

ac6_img_2130.jpg

making the cargo hold was a bit of fun! i cut out the roller doors to expose the hold (with a little dremel slip...oops) and then using some plastic sheet and strip stock to build it out. there was also some handy PE mesh that serves well as the section barriers. i also figured i would paint it first before priming the whole thing so i can just mask off the openings. once most of the painting is done i’ll go back and add rust and a bunch of little cargo containers. it’ll look really good with some red light bathing the hold...

ac6_img_2132.jpg

ac6_img_2140.jpg

ac6_img_2142.jpg

ac6_img_2146.jpg

ac6_img_2147.jpg

ac6_img_2149.jpg

ac6_img_2151.jpg

ac6_img_2152.jpg

of course the ever-daunting threading of fibers...i’m using .75mm for the windows and .5mm for the flashers. the fibers around the cargo area were a bit tricky because i had to thread them down the inside of the supports and out the bottom of the hold floor. they were also getting a bit messy so the hollowed out engine tube works for holding them “out of the way” until the LEDs get placed.

ac6_img_2131.jpg

ac6_img_2137.jpg

ac6_img_2138.jpg

ac6_img_2139.jpg

ac6_img_2154.jpg

ac6_img_2155.jpg

ac6_img_2156.jpg

ac6_img_2157.jpg

james (aka halcyon) hooked me up with a bag of stuff and in it were these lovely clear plastic caps! turns out the top diameter is just right for engine glow diffusers!!

ac6_img_2165.jpg

ac6_img_2166.jpg

ac6_img_2167.jpg

also, big thanks to dark kyp for suggesting the design inspirations!!

Hiigaran_battlecruiser.jpg
Hiigaran_destroyer.jpg
vaygrandstrike.jpg

This is looking good!

I really like your PE mesh section dividers; that gives a nice touch I think. :)

I didn't realize how big that puppy is... you defintely are having fun I can tell. Looks awesome so far my friend... can't wait to see more!

Looks like this kit has far more opportunities for lighting than I've expected.
Brilliant work, thumbs up!
And if some voting is allowed here, I'm for the top variant of painting scheme: gray-blue, dark-gray and white stripes - looks very mean imho.

Latest posts

Back