Timeslip 1/350 Action VI Transport

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
Entry #2!!! I’ve been sitting on this one for awhile. I got so excited when I cleaned the parts that I just had to start playing with them. The smaller assemblies went together super easily…this kit is also hollow-to-the-max so lighting will be a breeze. I’ll be doing an on-board 9v for the power source for sure. Fiber optics, yes, too. There’s a fair amount of seam cleanup before the major assemblies happen, which is a shame because otherwise the detail is pretty good. Panel lines are a bit heavy but oh well. I like it anyway. There are also 2 paint schemes I’m undecided on, either the standard metallic or the Wild Karrde version, which is super heavily rusted and such. There’s already been a few builds with the latter so I might do something a bit more unique…maybe even with some fancy transport company graphics or something. We’ll see!

action_vi_sotg28200729.jpg

wild_karrde_ff72_2.jpg

Full disclosure on the process, too :D
ac6_img_2020.jpg

ac6_img_2023.jpg

ac6_img_2024.jpg

ac6_img_2025.jpg

ac6_img_2026.jpg

ac6_img_2027.jpg

ac6_img_2028.jpg

ac6_img_2029.jpg

ac6_img_2030.jpg

ac6_img_2031.jpg

ac6_img_2032.jpg

ac6_img_2033.jpg

ac6_img_2036.jpg

ac6_img_2037.jpg

ac6_img_2038.jpg

ac6_img_2039.jpg

ac6_img_2040.jpg

ac6_img_2041.jpg

ac6_img_2042.jpg

ac6_img_2043.jpg

ac6_img_2044.jpg

ac6_img_2045.jpg

ac6_img_2046.jpg

Got some good challenges there. Great looking construction work. What's the finish plans on this?

Thanks guys. Finish plans? I'm not sure yet. Maybe a mix of the two images above...maybe even some freighter company logo. I'll definitely be added greeblie details once the main construction is done. There's a lot of bare spots that need detail for a 1/350 ship.

Also, I am a fan of this look:
cargo-07-460x324.jpg

Either that or some Homeworld 2 or Chris Foss-inspired scheme.

danke schorn meine comrades!

after seeing PWL + Hacker's builds i think i'm going to try and do something a little different...notice i didn't christen her yet :p

Now that is cool!
To tell the truth, I was suspecting You're going to choose this one from the list You had posted to build first. Shame no bet has been made - I could get some easy cash, lol ;D
Would be interesting to see, what way are You going to go building it.

Only a slight bit of progress…mostly little fiddley-ish sub-assemblies when I have a couple of minutes after work/before bed! What's nice about this kit is that just about every part is keyed to one another. Unfortunately, things don't really fit together easily or cleanly. It's hard to tell if it's the casting job or if it was a design flaw before the master was printed, shrinkage allowances and all that. I have to admit my copy was pretty messed up…not unworkable, just warped and flashed enough to warrant ≤PAR casting. I'm used to the best though (*ahem*Jimi*ahem*). The main hull pieces were twisted a little bit and the seams need to be HEAVILY sanded to fit flush with one another.

Anyway, I pieced together the dorsal cargo hold and one of the hull halves just to make sure it would fit right. There's quite a bit of flash and a lot of sloppy edges to clean up but it fits. The trick is aligning the little insets on the front and back lower side corners (does that make sense?). Little cast mechanical/greeblie pieces get inserted. I also added some more of the pieces to the main engine housing. These keyed areas go together better for the most part. The finned cylinders that hold the static vane fins are a bit too big and soft to fit into the keyed areas on the lower engine exhaust thing so I have to add that to the DREMEL point-of-contact list….which seems to be growing. Eesh. And my circuit/LEDs are en route so that'll be fun.

ac6_img_2067.jpg

ac6_img_2068.jpg

ac6_img_2069.jpg

ac6_img_2071.jpg

ac6_img_2072.jpg

ac6_img_2073.jpg

ac6_img_2074.jpg

ac6_img_2075.jpg

ac6_img_2076.jpg

Yay! My LEDs came in yesterday. It's a nice little 9v circuit. There are 2 solid on red for the bridges (one on nose and one further up), 2 solid white to run the fiber optics, 4 solid orange for the engines and 1 blinking red for collision warnings. I think I'll make the head detachable with magnets so that the 9v can be replaced if need be. it fits nice and snug so magnets should be just enough to hold it in place. it'll be more of an access point than a holder for the battery.

ac6_img_2077.jpg

ac6_img_2078.jpg

I also cut out a ton of openings for the hollow parts just to make room.

ac6_img_2079.jpg

ac6_img_2080.jpg

ac6_img_2081.jpg

ac6_img_2082.jpg

ac6_img_2083.jpg

ac6_img_2084.jpg

Cut out the main bridge window opening. I also got a little trigger happy sanding the main center seam, so I'll have a tad bit of filling to do :p

ac6_img_2085.jpg

Mated all the parts to the engine section, making sure the big old nozzles were aligned properly...

ac6_img_2086.jpg

ac6_img_2087.jpg

ac6_img_2088.jpg

ac6_img_2089.jpg

ac6_img_2090.jpg

ac6_img_2091.jpg

then started dry fitting all the pieces together. she's really shaping up! i also attached the "handle"...

ac6_img_2092.jpg

ac6_img_2093.jpg

ac6_img_2094.jpg

ac6_img_2095.jpg

ac6_img_2096.jpg

I also have a more working idea for how I'd like to paint it up. It's seems a bit Chris Foss/Homeworld 2 inspired and it comes from Starship Modelers wallpaper of the month. I'll use this as a point of departure and possible design some decals to go with it….but maybe do a little more color variation utilizing that weathered blue effect posted a little further up. What do you think?

ac6_paint_idea.jpg

rad. thanks john! i can't wait either!! i think i'll try the hairspray method....something i've never tried before...

nicholassagan said:
rad. thanks john! i can't wait either!! i think i'll try the hairspray method....something i've never tried before...

Make sure you test it out on a test piece. It can be tricky but not too bad. You have to have enough hairspray down or you will not get paint chips.

It probably would, but I would use table salt or pickling salt and NOT Kosher salt. Pickling salt is a much finer grind to the salt than table.

Latest posts

Back