Tiger I weathering

GaryG64

I started weathering the Tiger this evening. The idea of Grey paint being exposed came from YouTube's Nightshift. He had Grey where the zimmerit was missing.

Should I keep the Grey showing or paint it back over with the dark yellow?

Attachments

• 20221027_234429.jpg
    20221027_234429.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 14
I started weathering the Tiger this evening. The idea of Grey paint being exposed came from YouTube's Nightshift. He had Grey where the zimmerit was missing.

I like it, looks cool.
Pantherman

Me...I would leave it grey. I love making kits but my aim is to show a simple model of a tiger, sherman, or whatever. I am not interested in trying to replicate an exact duplicate of a specific tank which is why I now just put on basic markings to represent a tank from a certain division. I prefer it when someone looks at my small collection and just says..."Wow, thats a tiger right?". You kind of lose them if you reply "Yeah, its from Heavy Pz Abt 503 blah blah blah"
Just my thoughts and besides I get fatigued by nit pickers and rivet counters. I enjoy making kits...thats it, but the choice is yours. That is just me. Great job so far.

Me...I would leave it grey. I love making kits but my aim is to show a simple model of a tiger, sherman, or whatever. I am not interested in trying to replicate an exact duplicate of a specific tank which is why I now just put on basic markings to represent a tank from a certain division. I prefer it when someone looks at my small collection and just says..."Wow, thats a tiger right?". You kind of lose them if you reply "Yeah, its from Heavy Pz Abt 503 blah blah blah"
Just my thoughts and besides I get fatigued by nit pickers and rivet counters. I enjoy making kits...thats it, but the choice is yours. That is just me. Great job so far.
Thank you, so far I'm pretty please with the outcome so far.
This is only my 3rd tank and my first German tank.
And instead of true authenticity I'm just have fun. I am however, trying to make it look "real." I've received a lot of great advice from urumomo and everyone else including you and very much appreciated. ;)
Everyone here is great and has a lot of great experience and advice for me.

I'd leave it as is .
looks cool ,
but if you're going for historical accuracy ,
the later , steel wheel Tiger's were never grey .
In fact , most were not .
Bottom of this page linked below : " So, out of 1350 Tigers built, I can count only 25 grey ones at present. "
https://tiger1.info/EN/Grey-Tigers.html#:~:text=The grey paint was officially,1940, before the Tiger's introduction.
Thanks, I think I will keep it as is and just have fun with it. I do appreciate all of your help and advice along the way. You've been a great help.

Other than a little highlight wash here and there I think I'm finished, unless there are things I missed or need to be addressed...

Attachments

• 20221029_025037.jpg
    20221029_025037.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221029_025022.jpg
    20221029_025022.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221029_024937.jpg
    20221029_024937.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221029_024955.jpg
    20221029_024955.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221029_025115.jpg
    20221029_025115.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221029_025052.jpg
    20221029_025052.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221029_025006.jpg
    20221029_025006.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221029_024916.jpg
    20221029_024916.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 11
Thanks, I think I will keep it as is and just have fun with it. I do appreciate all of your help and advice along the way. You've been a great help.
I'm just giving you that technical info as an FYI .
That page I linked is by David Byrden . He's THE Tiger 1 expert .
I don't worry about extreme accuracy myself . That Takom King Tiger wears totally fictional markings .

When I first started back into scale models I was building a 1/72 U-Boat and was going out of my mind researching the proper color of the hull .
That's when I stumbled upon Maschinen Krieger and other SciFi builds and decided that's more up my alley .
I'll leave all that historical accuracy to the museum people . ;)

I'm just giving you that technical info as an FYI .
That page I linked is by David Byrden . He's THE Tiger 1 expert .
I don't worry about extreme accuracy myself . That Takom King Tiger wears totally fictional markings .

When I first started back into scale models I was building a 1/72 U-Boat and was going out of my mind researching the proper color of the hull .
That's when I stumbled upon Maschinen Krieger and other SciFi builds and decided that's more up my alley .
I'll leave all that historical accuracy to the museum people . ;)
Thanks. It's good to have you in my corner. :D:)

Hi,
The grey that you mention in the example you can see on YouTube will I think be much lighter in shade than the Dunkelgrau of early War vehicles.

The grey colour is that of the bare Zimmerit and will be shown where it is damaged, either solid grey if a chip/gouge or if through to the steel you would see the red primer and any remaining Zimmerit would show as grey.

Hope this helps and not too forget a very nice Tiger has resulted from your build.

Aye'

John

Hi,
The grey that you mention in the example you can see on YouTube will I think be much lighter in shade than the Dunkelgrau of early War vehicles.

The grey colour is that of the bare Zimmerit and will be shown where it is damaged, either solid grey if a chip/gouge or if through to the steel you would see the red primer and any remaining Zimmerit would show as grey.

Hope this helps and not too forget a very nice Tiger has resulted from your build.

Aye'

John
Thanks.

I don't think Zimmerit would be grey .
It would be some type of ochre color - probably a fairly lite tone though judging by it's ingredients .
It would definitely depend on how pure the barium sulfate in it was and the pigment -- it probably varied between plants .

I found this article in the January 1995 Fine Scale Modeler on another way of applying zimmerit.
Sorry for the poor quality.

Attachments

• 20221029_223858.jpg
    20221029_223858.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221029_224132.jpg
    20221029_224132.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 8
I don't think Zimmerit would be grey .
It would be some type of ochre color - probably a fairly lite tone though judging by it's ingredients .
It would definitely depend on how pure the barium sulfate in it was and the pigment -- it probably varied between plants .
I would fully agree with you in your comment and given material quality being supplied to the factories there is every liklihood of varying shades being obtained from the production of each mix.
From speaking with other members of our hobby over the years, I have always followed from those discussions, where many of the Dunkelgelb paints available, unless you mixed your own shades at those times, an accurate ochre colour then was as likely to be too close to the Gelb applied in the overall paint colour.

WHAT I omitted to add to my thoughts was that after adding a wash, now deemed a filter of good old fashioned Sepia or similar shade oil paint, the grey areas take on a different tone. Something most of us use to add subtle colour shifts to suit our view of our work. Then of course we get on to adding other weathering effects.

Not wishing to create confusion, my communication was not properly constructed and I still enjoy playing with the capabilities of Oil Paints in our hobby.

Have a fun Sunday and I am most definitely spend a few hours relaxing with my 251/16, or if much more frustration at the Dragon, "guess where the next part really attaches and which way round", throwing it out the window.

Aye' John

Some very instructive comments here which is good to see not to mention instructive. Mate, all things considered, that Tiger is really nice. I love it and would be proud to have that displayed in my collection. Well done.

Some very instructive comments here which is good to see not to mention instructive. Mate, all things considered, that Tiger is really nice. I love it and would be proud to have that displayed in my collection. Well done.
Thanks, Phil. I hope to improve my skills with everyone's help.

Latest posts

Back