this other thing I'm building

For some reason, I just had a flash in my mind's eye of the robot on the cover of Queen's "News of the World".

Hmmm ,
you and at the least a few others like to see some humanoid going on in this . ,, which allowed the naming of it ( thanks to Aussie Cylon )

" news of the world " :
OLazj2P.jpg

Well . Maybe . Possibly . Maybe not .Probably only slightly close to something at hand .

Last edited:
Yeah, at this point, it looks like a torso to me. Like a classic 50s robot.

" classic " ?
well ,
don't think so , but share to me what you're talking about .

The T-pipe section looks like a hip joint to me, and above that (albeit inverted in the pics) is the torso of a robot. It's probably not what you're building, it's just what it looks like to me, at this point.

tenor.gif

1q5o0J1.jpg

200.gif

wen4M5G.jpg
o4B4PNb.jpg

I always use the Extra Thin for the initial glue-up , then mop the joints with the heavy solids

from orbit

it's the only way to be sure

nBKkJMk.jpg
x6nbs9B.jpg
kkdY6jH.jpg

nNfJuYM.jpg

Now to make 20 of those things
then drill em out to accept the tubing .

jkQZmQU.gif

91YsdLM.jpg

That's a lot of cutting in 2 mm styrene so I switched to the scroll saw :

xowDcn8.jpgugFqFpU.jpg

Roughed-out with the scroll saw , then finished with sanding sticks using a jig to ensure exact duplication :

iNYuYpi.jpg

DoGS2fa.jpg
ucma6bs.jpg
60PPVRv.jpg

So , at the beginning of all this I checked the O.D. of the aluminum with this drafting template conveniently hanging next to the bench ,

882EMjH.jpg

Imagine my delight when the tube , which I guess we're calling 3/8 pipe now , wouldn't fit into the hole .

The first drill bit I had in the press had way too much run-out ( probably why it was in the Bad-Bits-Bin ;) ) so I switched it out with a different brad point .
I figured I grabbed a 31/64 bit or something .... . Nope.

It's actually .516 inches ( 13.13 mm ) O.D.
Swell .
Terribly inconvenient .
I used that little jig to slice that 2 hundredth's of an inch out of the way using a sharp #11 blade .
Time Consuming .

glad I'm not working with 1/2 inch aluminum plate o_O

EGK3iRO.jpgV3q0VZ2.jpg64Uf0b6.jpg
dOrj5rN.jpg
6lZdMSp.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back