Thinners/mineral spirits

ohbejuan

Are these the same thing? I bought the Mona Lisa for modeling and the mineral spirits for woodworking. Could I just have bought the mineral spirits?

Attachments

• B0C02F36-4DC6-4001-A216-E1C7CD92D622.jpeg
    B0C02F36-4DC6-4001-A216-E1C7CD92D622.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 2
Pretty much the same thing for most purposes with the exception of the price .
Mona Lisa shows a slightly higher flash point , even though it lists Naphtha on it's SDS - which has a lower flash point than mineral spirit .

If the data sheets are to be believed , the Mona Lisa appears to be more refined which is what I'd expect for the price .
They don't list a % for the other aromatics ( Naphtha is composed of a bunch of the lighter aromatic hydrocarbons so they're using it as a catch-all I'm thinking ) -- so maybe they are just being more honest with their data than Klean Strip is .
For all practical purposes they are the same .
The Mona Lisa probably gives more open time with oil paints due to it's higher density and higher boiling point , but that would have to come down to " brush feel " and be dependent on the application .

Which one seems to have more of an odor ? Or are they the same ?
I see some people saying it is completely odorless and others saying it stinks like gasoline .
Gonna depend on the temperature and exposure ( sniffing the open bottle or pouring it into an open container etc ) so I don't know how to interpret that .

Last edited:
If the data sheets are to be believed , the Mona Lisa appears to be more refined which is what I'd expect for the price .
They don't list a % for the other aromatics ( Naphtha is composed of a bunch of the lighter aromatic hydrocarbons so they're using it as a catch-all I'm thinking ) -- so maybe they are just being more honest with their data than Klean Strip is .
For all practical purposes they are the same .
The Mona Lisa probably gives more open time with oil paints due to it's higher density and higher boiling point , but that would have to come down to " brush feel " and be dependent on the application .

Which one seems to have more of an odor ? Or are they the same ?
I see some people saying it is completely odorless and others saying it stinks like gasoline .
Gonna depend on the temperature and exposure ( sniffing the open bottle or pouring it into an open container etc ) so I don't know how to interpret that .
The odorless mineral spirits were w bit stronger I would say.

OK ,
that's what I would expect from the info on the material safety data sheet .
Regular " paint thinner " is less refined than " odorless mineral spirit " , so the % concentration of other aromatics like toluene , pentane etc are lower in those labeled " odorless " but that doesn't mean they are completely removed .
The Mona Lisa is even more distilled so the concentration of the more reactive , stinky volatiles is even lower but there is most likely still a very small fraction still there .
If you're using it a lot indoors , then paying more for a more refined white spirit might be justified .

Latest posts

Back