The Xwing Fighter

Great stuff. Watching the quicker progress on red 3 and final stages like this really gives you a sensation of things just cruising along.

Oh hey look. Im a technical consultant! ;D

Hey Scott... Goto bed! Man you look exhausted!

Hey I want to say thank you for your great service! I truly enjoy your dedication to this scalemodeladdict!

That Titanic stuff was cool! How did he make the sunken Titanic? That Rock!

Anyways, Take it easy.

8)

Hey cool. Where did you get that Death Star reference pic, you are holding into the cam?! Great airbrushing, though. I am going to buy my very first airbrush this month, I guess. Makes things so much easier / faster. I am also using the maskol / masking liquid way of chipping paint as well. It's really comfortable and you have full controll over where you'll get the paint chipping. But it seems to be a bit limited as well.

Oh and I saw one entering the room in the first video. :D

Hi Scott & Darph, ;D
Your right not to rush the build mate, just think of the time you've put in.
Your a Hero, just think of all the people you've motivated to do something positive, and all the people you've made smile.
Joolz. ;)

Thanks guys. The sunken Titanic is scratch built with styrene. He's made 8 I think in total - commissioned for museums and such. Death star reference came from a viewer. Thanks Joolz. I appreciate the comment but I'm no hero man, just a regular guy trying to shine His light.

Great dude...you've done a marathon of modelling!!!
No worries about the deadline not reached, you've made the right decision, if you would have screwed it up it would have been a 6 months "screwed up work" and that would have been reaaaally bad...
Great job indeed considering the rush, the "non-sleeping" hours you've been modelling, the very exhaust face you had (LOL LOL) and...well....a fantastic marathon indeed dude!
And, furthermore, you've also managed to "put" there two other awesome vids, very enjoyable and funny as always...with some great quality works as well of course!

Cheers mate and take care

Thanks Jack. Yeah T-I-R-E-D. I'm too old (34) to be pulling all nighters.

Scott, I once e-mailed you this and it still applies:
I have not failed, I have learned 10,000 ways it will not work.
Wish I'd a thought of that! It was Thomas Edison.
But those X-Wings ROCK MAN!
Outstanding.

Great vids Scott, well i watched return first then had to give up as spring watch is on and the pc's speakers can't compete with the TVs (dang kids). I,ve got a tip for ya also! i see that you covered the hole x wing in tape (blue,i use the same) but instead of doing that just mask up to the area your painting then get some cling film (don't know the name in Canada but ya can wrap up your sarnies in it) lay it nearly up the masked of area then retape it down and fold around the rest of the model. You will spend a lot less time removing the tape, your tape will last longer and 3rdly when you run out of cling film its just a case of picking up some more on your next visit to the supermarket and not a trip to the hardware store just for masking tape.

I'm just waiting for the kids to finish watching spring watch then i can re watch both the vids.

Blitz

Thanks guys! That's a great tip for masking. That'll save me lots of time in the future!

Hey Scott, their coming along great, AWESOME!

I think you made the right choice to quit whilst your ahead and not cram.

there's always next year :p......Pullin for ya!

Dave

Great progress Scott and don't feel bad about not having finished in time for the show. Had you decided to make some cutbacks on quality you would have felt miserable from this point on, like you said, 5 months of work for that would have been a waste. As for being not so experienced with the airbrush: there are a lot of things about airbrushing that influence the final finish. Pressure, thinner to paint ratio etc. but nothing has a bigger impact than your technique and that's something that only gets better by practicing. From what I can tell the X-Wings already look really good. So get some sleep and once you're done painting this model, quickly build the next one so you can practice spraying some more. Now that you don't have the deadline to worry about, are you going to make the lights blink now or not? Great episode!

Thanks guys. I plan to revisit some half finished builds and practice on those. No, no blinking lights. It's all sealed up and ready to weather.

What you had done at the show was great Scott. Take your time to finish. You have another year to finish until Shearwater or CAMS comes along again. Keep it up. And wow I'm on Youtube!!!

Scott Girvan said:
Thanks guys! That's a great tip for masking. That'll save me lots of time in the future!

Hope it helps and also i will be getting myself a palm sander on Saturday after your tip about using them, got lots of sanding to do and funnily enough the first victim will be the S foils on my X wing build ;D

blitz

I am always using newspaper to mask big areas out. But just recently I saw in one of those japanese modelling shows (Plamo Tsukurou or something like that), that someone used a tissue for masking the interieur of a tank. He just stuffed it inside there. Why haven't I come up with this yet? :D

Something I was wondering Scott when I was watching the videos. I noticed that everything was disassembled when you started painting, was there/is there any issues with seam lines when you put the hull halves together?

On Red 6, BIG TIME. I have it together now but it was a pain. I ended up ssslllooowwwllly adding thick CA, mm by mm around the seam, pulling it in line. Then I had to brush paint white and now I have to touch up the green on the nose a bit. The weathering will tone down the rest. Red 3 will go together without a problem, mainly because I didn't butcher it during the modifications.

Latest posts

Back