The Xwing Fighter

As always GREAT work Scott!! I really love how Red 6 and Red 3 are coming out your hard work is really paying off.

Hi Scott,

First let me just say how awesome you and your videos are - they are hugely entertaining and I like to kick back and watch while im "at the bench" - you inspire me sir! \m/_ _\m/

I had a quick question about your method of thinning Tamiya paints for airbrushing. In your last vids you mention a 50:50 mix with 100% isopropyl alchohol. I read in other forums and here also that you can get problems with "orange peeling" and having to do several much thinner coats while airbrushing. Whats your experience with this? From the vids it looks good to me! Some people also think that the alcohol should have an acrylic retarder in it to help the paint flow better. Ive been using Tamiya X20A thinner up till now (which works great for me) but it seems to have disappeared of the face of the planet atm .... esp in the UK. Just wanted your opinion (and anyone elses here for that matter!) before I go out and buy myself a big jug o isopropyl

Thanks and keep up the good work!!

Lee

Thanks 79'. They are coming together now. I will be late with a video this week - again - but I should have a little sumthing. Busy times lately. I have the wings on and the birds are on the base. Starting to look like a finished model.

Hi Jedi Puju. Welcome! and thank you. I'm kinda using both. No problems so far. I have 99% stuff. Seems to work fine.

When I used Tamiya paint, I was always too cheap to buy the Tamiya thinner. Always tried some concoction of alcohol, wind sheild washer fluid, water, combination of each, and always ended up with the same problems. Either the paint would dry in the tip of the airbrush, or would dry on its way to the kit, leaving a dusty, sandy finish on the kit.

Once I decided to "Splurge" on the Tamiya thinner, all my problems disappeared, not more drying before it hits the kit, no sandy, pebbly finish. Heck I could even sit my airbrush full of paint down for 5-10 mins, pick it back up and it would still work no problem, no spitting or drying.

Never had as good of success spraying Tamiya paint until I tried it with their thinner.

Of course now, I use mostly Vallejo now, which is a whole other learning curve, but once you nail it, the results are fantastic!

You know what I like, the fact That I get to see this diorama first hand.. IT IS AWESOME..wait till you see them lit ... it will have to be displayed in the office Scott

Doing a great thing Scott gonna help a lot of people before this year is out :D
oh! and the X-wings are awesome as well ;)

Thanks guys! It's a group effort! I'm happy with the X's. Gonna hit them with some future in the morning - let it dry up all day and weather later this week.

Excellent news on the amount. Very happy to play just a small part.

The X-wings and diorama look very cool.

Chas ;)

Thanks Chas. Hey it's no small part - 10% buddy - thanks again! Outstanding!

Dude! Scott! The diarama, the red 3 the red 6, it all looks super awesome. It has been such a treat watching along as you have been building this stuff. Im looking foward to attempting the tank with you next season, rad times are sure to be had! Keep it up. Dont stop the rock!

god bless

josh

Hey Josh, if I haven't already welcomed you, WELCOME! Thanks man. I sure am having fun and it's great to be so close to being finished. I honestly haven't finished a model since I was 12.

your models are looking totally awesome and I love the diarama. making me want to watch star wars all over again...that is if I can find where my wife hid the dvds.

ent said:
your models are looking totally awesome and I love the diarama. making me want to watch star wars all over again...that is if I can find where my wife hid the dvds.

Solution: Use the force and make her tell you where she hid the dvds...

That is looking better and better! :D I was a bit confused, when you said the X-Wings still have to be weathered, since they already look quite battered. Looking forward to it.

Last night I put a 'promodeler' dark dirt wash on them. Wiped most of it off. Then I put an oil wash in the engines --- too much. So I wiped all the oil off. These Xs are gonna be filthy! I'm no pro with weathering, just learning and having fun.

And another pic from this morning. Once I'm finished both I'll take some time and try to get some good photos.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latest posts

Back