The Scrap Buggy

Moon Puppy

This is a scratch building exercise I'm doing. We have a interactive classroom at Modelers Alliance and scratch building is one of the topics right now.

http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/scratch-build

Here's what I got.

These things are used to haul the scrap tubing we make to the trash cans. I got a couple of pictures of them and figured it would be easy enough.

scrapbuggy1.jpg

scrapbuggy2.jpg

Hardest part for me was sitting down and actually doing it.
So I got inspired!

Sat down and dusted off the trusty ol' mind and remembered back on Mr Gill's mechanical drawing class in high school.

scrapbuggy000.jpg
I'm figuring on the bottom part of the buggy being 4 foot, or 1.5 inches at 1:35 scale (or am I doing 1:32?). I made the bottom panel 4 foot square and built up from there.

scrapbuggy001.jpg
I just can't seem to get the hang of some of the simpler CAD programs, mental hangup no doubt. so I just started drawing with a scriber.I used some pigments to make the lines show up.

scrapbuggy002.jpg
Connected up the points and transfered those points for the opposite sidewall. I used some pigments to make the lines show up.

scrapbuggy003.jpg
Cut the parts out

scrapbuggy004.jpg
Test fit to see any gaps, none, not bad first time out..but it is square...sort of.

scrapbuggy005.jpg
Glued it up and see that something got out a whack. Not sure but did you see the original pictures?? Those things are trashcans so beat up is fine. I'll trim it up.
scrapbuggy006.jpg
Attempting to add some weld lines.

I've since noticed I got the top wrong, that top edge should be longer, may correct that, may not...

Well...whatcha think??

hehe pays to have teh pic of what you are working on infront of ya ;D

looking at teh pic i would say the top straigt bit should eb a about a foot longer on eiter side

But apart from that it looks like a mini skip we have over here so not a total loss ;D but for a first attemp is blooming good

After some consideration and total blank thinking of how to make the wheels I did was searched Sprue Bro for Round Tubing from Evergreen and ordered one each...Sure I could dig out the spares boxes for some wheels that would pass, but this is for 100% scratch build.

scrapbuggy007.jpg

What I had in mind was build up from the center cutting various thicknesses, slide one onto another building up layers. getting thicker the further out I got.

scrapbuggy008.jpg

scrapbuggy009.jpg
And I'll have it mounted on brackets in some way or another, waiting for inspiration to strike again.

Latest posts

Back