The psychology of stash building

Swanningabout

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."
I used to fear that if I let my stash grow too big I would wear out my interest in model building. That is, I would "spoil" myself or something, and become like people who buy tons of books and don't read them. But now I'm beginning to feel, since I have dropped my discipline more than ever (buying a new kit without having formed any firm resolve to finish an old one first) that if anything, my growing stash keeps the embers of passion smouldering even when the flame has temporarily died down. Does anyone else feel this way?

My stash size is mostly directly proportional to how much room I have to store it. Once I get to max. capacity, I have to go through and pick out some that I know I will never build, and then I am good for a little while.

Unfortunately once you do that a few times, you get down to the point where you really can't bear to let anything go, which seems to be the point I am at, at the moment.

Mind you I say that, but if I really wanted to do I could probably force myself to pare it down a bit.

Have to agree with ECH about it sometimes getting out of hand.
Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against a good stash, but I've decided to stop buying kits 'just because.'
For me, now at least, I'm going to need an actual plan for a given kit before I buy it.

Now, that's not saying that said plan has anything to do with the speed in which said kit will move up in the queue, but...

Collecting is huge part of why I love this hobby. I have way more kits than I really "need" but I dont care because it makes me happy to surround myself with them and I tend to only buy kits that I absolutely cant live without it has to be a subject that I'm passionate about. It will probably be years before I get to my Jupiter 2, but I'm stoked to know that I own one ;)

Elm City Hobbies said:
Hey Q, that's the problem, in my head....I have plans for all of them.
I feel your pain, believe me. 2/3 to 3/4 of my stash came that way

My stash has been called everything from substantial, through random and too bloody big (the latter being the wife) but my buying habits seem to be motives by one of he following.
I don't have one of those (gundam, boat, helicopter)
I love that from tv/movie (iron man, Christine, thunderbirds, Star Wars)
I think that's a great investment or is 2 cheap 2 pass on
I think these are cool, now I want more (eggplanes, f1 cars)

But it has become a little unruly so there will b a 'consolidation' of the stash in the next few weeks.

For those who collect/hoard/stockpile I'd be interested to know if you do the same w paint/glue/tape etc like i do

I haven't bought any new kits in quite a while. My stash is sizable enough to keep me busy for a reasonable time. With that being said, there is always a kit out there that you just can't turn down. I just haven't seen it lately. ;D

Well my stash is groing but i use kne of Webby line.. buying most of my kits second had"its too cheap to pas on that one"

I have a limitation on how large I can get my stash, so right now, I am pretty much done with buying for a bit. I need to build to make room for more. A good rule to follow is no new kit until you build one.....

Grendels said:
I have a limitation on how large I can get my stash, so right now, I am pretty much done with buying for a bit. I need to build to make room for more. A good rule to follow is no new kit until you build one.....

I try that, but then I see that nice, shiny new kit at the hobby shop that I just HAVE to have. :p

You also need room to display all the finished models, and that alone can take up quite a bit of space.

Mine is about oh, one large shelf right now. But it's enough models to keep me building solid for about a year I'd say if I neglected all other hobbies. Which does seem a bit excessive now that I think about it. :eek:

Cave_Dweller said:
Grendels said:

I try that, but then I see that nice, shiny new kit at the hobby shop that I just HAVE to have. :p

You also need room to display all the finished models, and that alone can take up quite a bit of space.

Mine is about oh, one large shelf right now. But it's enough models to keep me building solid for about a year I'd say if I neglected all other hobbies. Which does seem a bit excessive now that I think about it. :eek:

There are other hobbies?? ;D

Cave_Dweller said:
Grendels said:

Makes it doubly hard when you own a hobby shop and get those shiny new kits at cost for yourself instead of paying retail!

Latest posts

Back