The Latest but far from the greatest !! 1/48 F-14B

Neo

What do you mean i'm addicted to Airplanes!
HI guys

here is my latest but like the tittle says not the greatest!!! i love some part of it but the global product aint that great!

Built OOB with Hasegawa weapon sets for the amo.

I was going to try Chuck salt weathering technique but i had a little decal accident witch trew my interest WAY off so i decided to just panel wash it.

Painted with Humbrol enamels, future,new Tamiya oil washes(the work really great!) and humbrol flat coat.

now for the decal incident i dont understand i did like always Future then decals the future(2 coats) but i had forgotten to paint the white inside the bording lader, placed some tamiya tape and when i removed it decals came off at a couple of places :bandhead2: .I managed to fix some but it still looks like .....

Anyways i got this kit for real cheap so i guess ill call it a practice cat!

Enjoy

p1030656e.jpg

p1030657c.jpg

p1030659.jpg

p1030661w.jpg

p1030663i.jpg

p1030665y.jpg

p1030671v.jpg

p1030673k.jpg

I think it looks awesome. Your panel lines came out great! They have a good color to them, what did you use for the wash?

I had a simular problem with a P-51 I built. I had NMF it then futured it and applied decals, then futured again. I thought futur would seal down everything including the NMF. I masked off the two lower grill panels below the exhaust on the nose, sprayed them red, removed the mask, and it took the foil and all off! I was bumbed. Cost me another set of decals.

Your F-14 still looks pretty good though. Did you use tinted Future to color the H.U.D.? That looks very trick.

Looks great to me Neo. I've had the same thing happen to me a few times. Nothing more aggravating than nearly finishing a model only to have a goof up at such a late stage

You didnt mention it, I am guessinbg that is the Hasegawa kit, I have a few of those in the stash. Waiting til I get the courage to build them.

Thanks guys glad you like it!

letsgobrowns82 said:
I think it looks awesome. Your panel lines came out great! They have a good color to them, what did you use for the wash?
I used the new Tamiya dark brown oil wash

Carsenault said:
Looks great to me Neo. I've had the same thing happen to me a few times. Nothing more aggravating than nearly finishing a model only to have a goof up at such a late stage

You didnt mention it, I am guessinbg that is the Hasegawa kit,
oups yeah i did forget to write it

It the Hasegawa 1/48 F-18B last cruise.

Appart for the nose section the kit isint that hard. plus TwoMike is supposed to come out with some seamless intakes

Thanks guys for the support

Relly nice to know ppl like it!! im my worst critic!

Looks great to me. Speaking of pulling up paint with masking.. a few guys at the show this weekend said they use wet coffee filters cut to length and placed over areas they want to mask. They said it is better than mask cause it's easier to clean up and doesn't pull up paint. I've never tried it but it sounds like a good idea.

Thanks JMac & Adam

coffe filter humm going to have to try it.

but i think in this case its more like the decals where kinda not adhering enouph.. oh well i was fun to build and still looks good from one side!!

The coffee filter is a great tip - might have to try that one.

My tips to try and prevent pulling up paint after masking;
  • I use a fairly low tack tape. I also "pre-stick" the tape to my cutting mat before I apply the mask to the model. That gets rid of most of the stickiness of tape.
  • After painting, I very lightly cut around the edge of the mask to prevent pulling off some of the new paint along with the mask.
  • Really mix your paint well, I've had problems with Vallejo adhering in the past when it wasn't really well mixed
  • If the camo scheme is not that involved - I remove the mask soon after painting

Hope this helps.

Bit harsh on yerself there mate...looks awesome to me, nice work.

Gotta build me a jet some day.

Latest posts

Back