The 'Junkster' Pod Racer

tiking

It's been a while since my last build. I have started on another build taking another break from truck building, while gathering thoughts for my next one. I have several in mind but I am trying to figure out which one to choose and how to proceed. 'Till then, I am working on a pod racer. Yes, another one. For some reason I have a think for these machines. I also planning on a big spaceship build after this build. We'll see. Anyways, Here are pics of the progress so far. We will see how it turns out.

The concept of this build is simple. It is an older model that has been rebuilt from scrap using various metal and machine components, hence, the name, The 'Junkster'. So It is going to be weathered to show the old age and extensive usage. Fits me just right.

-----------------------------

2. Most of you guys may already know what parts I am using here already. It's from a 1/32 F-15E fighter jet. I finally found a use for this F-15E fuselage :cheers: , I've had for many years. I had no drawings, just planning as I build. I have lots of parts(lots), as you can see in the pics blow:

miscelleneous_parts_zpslknt1ou2.jpg

miscelleneous_parts2_zpsglp0uiw8.jpg

3. This will be the body of the engines. Or should I say the fuselage. As you can see, I've already started adding the details to it. Majority of the parts are taken from other kits. Makes things easy for me, as time is always of the essence.

frame_a_pod_racer_extreme_zpsxllq3sj8.jpg

frame_ab_pod_racer_extreme_zps4xjvbnoo.jpg

pod_racer_extreme_zpsfeti5ywe.jpg

pod_racer_extreme3_zpsfrdfgctn.jpg

pod_racer_extreme2_zpsr0jbhyzh.jpg

I'm going to add some bits and pieces at the rear of the fuselage, to make it look busy.

pod_racer_extreme7_zpsov66xx9n.jpg

pod_racer_extreme6_zps6cf3nbtr.jpg

Added short oval shape styrene on both sides of the fuselage for a total of 6 short lengths.

pod_racer_extreme4_zpssgselw52.jpg

Some more exterior detailing on the fuselage. Styrene stripping on the sides lading up to the front. Added parts from a missile at both front corner ends of the fuselage.

pod_racer_extreme8_zpshqb1zphb.jpg

pod_racer_extreme10_zpsb5kdzu4d.jpg

Added a couple details under the both sides of the fuselage. I will not be adding a lot of details on the bottom as it will not be easily visible for viewing anyway. I also think the amount of detail on the fuselage already as it is on the underside is just right and does not need too much attention.

pod_racer_extreme21_zps2dg2o29p.jpg

7. These will be air and maintainance vent panels, which will be displayed open, to display some of the details inside. These are just the original F-15E doors that came with the original fighter plane, as you plane enthusiast might already know what I'm talking about.

pod_racer_extreme13a_zpswsfw2qak.jpg

pod_racer_extreme13_zpsscip8bvu.jpg

I've already painted on of the panels to test how it will look.

pod_racer_extreme13b_zpsagygnhun.jpg

These particular hatch doors were taken from a stryker model. I seem to have lots of these parts lying around back when I was scratch building AFV models.

pod_racer_extreme22_zpsfqqtcagz.jpg

The braking flap. This will be left in the open position as to give the entire model character when it finally placed on its mounting baseboard.

pod_racer_extreme26_zpsfppcpqj4.jpg

8. Did some more detailing at the rear to cover up that flat piece of styrene I had added to fill the huge gap in the fuselage. Added some bits and pieces to make the rear end look busy enough to keep the viewer interested.

pod_racer_extreme14_zpsimyffcrk.jpg

pod_racer_extreme15_zpsuuzhkr20.jpg

9. I had to find a way to conceal those two exhaust vents out the back without getting too intricate with the overall look. So I opted to add some sort of vent metal meshes then make some covers to cut direct view into the exhaust. So I came up with these two methods you see in the pics below.

pod_racer_extreme16_zpsmqafzthu.jpg

pod_racer_extreme17_zps22394cnq.jpg

These will be the vents angled downwards. I added a little mechanism to both sides to give the impression that the vents can be folded upwards at right angle for a horizontal exit.

pod_racer_extreme5a_zpsfsbjmytu.jpg

The covers added:

pod_racer_extreme5b_zps3vwberfq.jpg

10. I have already started working on the pod itself. It has already been painted(my apologies. Stress for time). I used a Tamiya F60 Ferrari as the base for my pod. The design was just what I wanted. After all, why go through the effort of scratch building when available models will do half the job for you. For me, what whatever works, use it. That's how the Millennium Falcon was built. The color used is a Automotive base coat reddish color. My choice of color is going to be this color, white and black.

pod_racer_extreme19_zpsdprinr1k.jpg

pod_racer_extreme20_zpsrf0pbjya.jpg

pod_racer_extreme20a_zpssvoclubg.jpg

pod_racer_extreme20b_zpsd0mnqhub.jpg

pod_racer_extreme20c_zpscwdk4yvx.jpg

11. I made my own seat belts by using yellow tape from Tamiya, but we all know its made for Tamiya by scotch brand tape. Very please with it too. I used the one with the smaller width.

seatbelt_prepping_tape_cutting_zpslr9w2lyz.jpg

seatbelt_prepping_zpsuyv12gtw.jpg

seatbelt_prepping3_zpsxejvr3p4.jpg

seatbelt_prepping2_zpsxepiwqkw.jpg

seatbelt_mounted_zpsgjvnsymu.jpg

12. These parts will be add around the pilot compartment. These are parts taken from old bike kits. I know. Sometimes I just buys kits that has potential of being doner kits.

pod_racer_extreme24_zpspvqxcaah.jpg

13. This is gong to be the jet propulsion that will be added to the back of the pod. I got it from another jet fighter doner. See. These doner kits are paying off.

pod_racer_extreme23_zpsqw1coyxu.jpg

How it looks installed. Not looking all that great but inside of this is not so trivial to the end results.

bottom_exhaust_plate2_zpshmry2hto.jpg

pod_racer_extreme23a_zpsurz9vpj0.jpg

pod_racer_extreme23b_zpsmox6fxlw.jpg

14. Now due to the underside of the jet exhaust not completely clearing the bottom of the pod, it sticks out some millimeters from the base of the pod itself. So I had to find a way to accommodate the bottom plate that will cover the bottom half of the pod. So I came up with this idea. I just took a piece of styrene and cut it according to the curvy design of the bottom half of the pod, and then measured the width and length of the jet exhaust and cut out the area around where the exhaust will be. The result is what you see below:

bottom_exhaust_plate_zpscxfcu2we.jpg

My free hand cutting was not perfect but all this will be hidden in the final results.

bottom_exhaust_plate3_zpslqcj2ovc.jpg

bottom_exhaust_plate2a_zpsfre5lryu.jpg

15. Here are the parts that I've laid out, trying to decide what to use for the Electro Attachments on the pod. These will be connected by a long cable to the the engines itself. I wanted something cool, simple, yet high-tech looking. So I had to puzzle the parts to together and this is what I came up with.

pod_electrical_connectors_zpsesrnxsen.jpg

The parts I chose to reprent the Electro Attachments.

pod_electrical_connectors_a_zpsrqlpmszh.jpg

Here are the parts disassembled and assembled just to give you an idea of the pieces involved.

pod_electrical_connectors_c_zpsfd3ygtmj.jpg

Now the assembled piece. There will be one on each side of the pod.

pod_electrical_connectors_bc_zpsn6jvt49q.jpg

16. Slowly adding the parts to the bottom half of the rod. Choosing odd bits of small components does bring alive the under half of this pod.

bottom_exhaust_plate4_zpsdfgdw408.jpg

bottom_exhaust_plate5_zpsq1gaqro4.jpg

17. Did some painting of the bottom engine half of the pod. I think it's starting to look like a machine rather than lots of plastic. Well, that's just me, trying to be positive. :)

bottom_exhaust_plate6c_zpshqpihzqv.jpg

18. Took the fan from a left over truck build. Since I build trucks, I have a few of these lying around. Painted it black and dried brush it with silver. I am pleased the way it came out.

bottom_exhaust_plate6_zpsedz0c99h.jpg

bottom_exhaust_plate6a_zpszeeskijg.jpg

bottom_exhaust_plate6b_zpsjjq2ra3f.jpg

19. I think I like the results of the bottom. Although, it will be visible, but one would have to bend their head just a little to look underneath. The details would be suffcient. Or maybe I should just add a mirror just under the pod. We'll see.

bottom_exhaust_plate6d_zpsndgccnwr.jpg

20. Finally threw some paint on the fuselage to give me more inspiration to carry on. As I was a little skeptical about this was coming along. So far, so good. I think. I first used a charcoal black color from Citadel, then an automobile dark reddish color as the base.

paint_racer2_zpsahmisym3.jpg

paint_racer4_zpshr23nfnu.jpg

21. I added an extra detail to the Electro attachments on the engines to add more interest to the fuselage. There will be a tiny cable, along with the bigger one, that connects this attachment point with the other smaller one on the pod. For me, the more detail, the better.

pod_racer_extreme25_zpsaabebvea.jpg

pod_racer_extreme25a_zpseqe0ym6q.jpg

22. So I started working on the fuselage intakes. Nothing too complicated or advanced, but I thought a slick design would work well for this old beast, even though it is an out-dated design and/or engine. I saved about anything that looks it might work for me in any future builds. I am an asthmatic, so I have lots of these canister lying around. I knew one day they will come in handy. I Still contemplating the design aspect of this section of the build. Will have to do more testing on the over all look later. But so far, this is what I have.

pod_racer_extreme10a_zpstwsewiij.jpg

pod_racer_extreme11_zpswlmczqhv.jpg

pod_racer_extreme12_zpsmq0inbbi.jpg

Latest posts

Back