The Dark Knight Bat Pod in 1/25 by Moebius > WIP

Ohm

dumpsters, divers and details
All images are here until this all gets properly sorted:

MoeBP_boxartF.jpg
box art front (top)

MoeBP_boxartB.jpg
box art back (bottom)

This is the plastic model by Moebius "The Dark Knight Bat-Pod" in 1/25.
A (small) box at 9.5" X 6" X 1.5".

Assembly begins with the Frame halves (22, 23) and Engine part (24). The next step is the assembly of the Front Chassis parts (15, 34, 35) and some modification needs to be done for proper fit and alignment.

MoeBP_gap_at_keyway.jpg

There is a gap between the two subassemblies. This gap doesn't allow the key to engage the proper position between the (Frame) and (Front Chassis). The stance of the completed vehicle will be off and the gap visually noticeable.

MoeBP_P22_keyway.jpg

Some drilling and trimming will solve this:

MoeBP_remove1-32.jpg

I cut and sanded smooth approximately 1/32" (0.8mm) material from the end of the suspension pivot peg of part (23). This peg is 1/8" diameter.

MoeBP_1-8Drill.jpg

With a 1/8" bit, drill out the Front Chassis Connector Tube, Upper and Lower Half parts (34, 35) after gluing together and the glue has set. These parts want to split while inserting the pivot peg part (23) if it's not drilled first.

MoeBP_proper_key_registration.jpg

After I did this mod, I noticed the assembly was easier and the keyway registered properly. And no more gap

MoeBP_no_gap.jpg

All images are here until this all gets properly sorted:

Last edited:
Thanks for checking in.
This will be a box stock build with details added. But pretty much box stock.
The kit parts are nicely molded with crisp detail.
The fit of some parts are a little difficult and need modifications.
But basically a cool little kit

P27.jpg

part (27) Right Side Brace doesn't look exactly like the illustration in the I-Sheets.

MoeBP_dont_glue_here.jpg

I didn't glue part (29) Shock Absorber to parts (20, 21) Brackets. (The joint as arrowed in the picture)
This will allow articulation of the shock part (29) for easy painting later. Cleaning the parting line between each peak and valley of the coil spring detail isn't necessary. Engine Cover part (2) will later conceal this

There are three spots that could use some putty filling. These places are arrowed:

Moe-BP_puttypoint.jpg
The two hollow spots on the top of the Large Air Tank part (9) and the middle joint spot on the Left Side Brace part (28)

Moe-BP_puttypoint_P26.jpg
These two spots are ejector pin marks on the front of part (26) Left Foot Rest/Radiator.

Moe-BP_puttypoint_P26_3B.jpg

Thats a cool looking machine :) cant wait to see you get to the paint :)

Chris.

Thanks for looking in guys

dry fitting parts and having fun with this model. It's a great little kit. This looks like some kind of robotic stinging insect

Moe_BP_subassem_.jpg

Moe_BP_subassem.jpg

Thanks, rookie

The battery pack detail is a little shallow and flat on the model frame part.
Searching on line for prototype images show battery packs on both sides of the frame just forward of the rear wheel.

Moe_BP_battery-buildL.jpg
I roughly blocked in the details which will be wired later

Moe_BP_battery-buildR.jpg
There was something tubular running horizontal in this area on the prototype. I visually estimated and stretched some sprue and glued it on

Moe_BP_battery-buildT.jpg

thanks for looking

Very nice kit! After I saw the movie I went out and purchsed this kit. Great job in the modifications. I will have to note these issues when I build mine. I like the battery detail you added to the kit. Looking forward to seeing this complete.

Thanks for checking in, Tanker52

Yeah, it's a super cool little kit with lots of potential either OOB or a kitmash sci-fi project or whatever... ;D

I think this model would be much cooler if it were a 1:1 working model 8)

Really excited to see the finished product Ohm.

Thanks for looking in, VoID_1. Actually, the 1/1 prop vehicle used in the movie is fully operational. It was not all CG ;)

now the wheels ???

OH oh...

Heads up with the tires and rims.
I read what RotorheadTX (from another modeling forum) already clearly described about the tire damage that can occur if you don't sand the ribbing off of the outside diameter of both rims.

The I-sheets told me to insert Front Wheel part (31 front) (32 rear) into the Tire part (48)

Moe_BP_tireDamage-ishtR.jpg

Moe_BP_tireDamage-ishtF-1.jpg

It's a tight fit and this happened

Moe_BP_tireDamage.jpg

Moe_BP_tireDamage-filed.jpg
I filed off the ribs that are molded onto the outside diameter from both rims

Moe_BP_tireDamage-tri.jpg

Moe_BP_tireDamage-none.jpg
No damage and a more realistic final look

This is something I saw so I had to fix on my model. You really have to look close to spot it but the Front Munition Cluster boxes are hollow.

MoeBP_back_cavityL.jpg
left side

MoeBP_back_cavityR.jpg
right side

MoeBP_backplate_traced.jpg
The holes (arrowed) were punched with a standard paper hole puncher.
After the holes were punched, the Munitions Cluster parts were placed face up onto the styrene sheet. A sharpened pencil was traced around the parts then cut out

MoeBP_backplates.jpg
After cutting these out they were cemented in place. Don't forget to trim out some material for the CO2 Cartridge parts registration tabs

Nice catch on front munition cluster boxes. Liked your approach to correcting the boxes. I have to remember this when I build mine. Keep up the great work!!!

Thanks for the comment!

Next is drilling out the 40MM Cannon muzzles

The I-Sheet describe the main guns as 40MM Cannons.
The way they are molded make them look too solid and chunky so I drilled mine out at the flash suppressor muzzle

MoeBP_muzz_imprv_Need.jpg

MoeBP_muzz_drill.jpg
I first used a sewing needle for a centered pilot hole for the 1/16" drill bit to follow

MoeBP_muzzle_FlSup.jpg
The flash suppressor muzzle detail was then shaped out with a No. 11 blade

After painting these will look much more detailed. However I have seen some delicately painted without the drilling out and they look good. Just depends on your own style

Latest posts

Back