The cold war, the multitude BUILDS and eventually building a T62

Re: The cold war, the multitude of choices and the T62

Great test Jeep. That looks killer. I think you're gonna have a sweet build here.

Wow !!!! I am Sold !!! I've got to Try this technique now !!!! Your test turret is turning pretty sweet !

a little out of focus but... from what I can see it looks like Real Rust !!!

WOw !

AAARGH, this would be a LOT easier with instruction. Wanted images of T62 interiors, featuring turret, and engine specifically.

I have done many searches for some PDF of it, but to no avail!

I hope that someone finds one for you.... This kit is massive! I feel for you!

Don't lose hope!

Jeep said:
AAARGH, this would be a LOT easier with instruction. Wanted images of T62 interiors, featuring turret, and engine specifically.

Did you try contacting Verliden themselves? They might email you a scan of their instructions.

I have a evil plan, I bought and received a Trumpeter T62. I am studying THAT kit and the TAMIYA kit in hopes that I can figure out were everything goes. I was actually contemplating basing all these kits (2.5) tanks onto one diorama base. I could use the verlinden parts and some plastic card to build a shattered hull for my extra turret, but this gets away from building one "new" in russian use and one dead in unspecified middle east conflict. hmmmmmm

Still no luck on better references for the verlinden kit, I am even going so far as to search out other T62 model builds in hope of some clear photos. I have only found complaints on the lack of instructions and inaccuracy of the Tamiya T62! talk about being stymied, In addition I found some photos on armorama that are fantastic, but they show that I will have to do a LOT of work to the verlinden "burnt" wheel sets to make THOSE accurate. I am not sure that I want to even use them right now.

I have seen the Tamiya T-62 kit built and since I wasn't Keen on Russian Stuff and I am still not !!! It looked the part until the builder showed me the Turret Flat Spot ! and other stuff ! but a good paint job will boost the overall effect ! so far the Rust technique you have shown us ! should do the Trick !

The overwhelming Photo Etch and Resin kit would have been wicked ! But until you get those instructions ! you might want to concentrate on something else or change your plans slightly ?

Did you put a Request in the Armorama Forum ???? for a copy of the instructions ? I'm sure someone there has to have this set either built or in their stash ! lots of peoples keep instructions !
and do the same at Verlinden or their distributors... it's nothing to them to supply you with those !

I wish you luck and hopefully you get back on track with this build !!!

practicing the dry pigment under paint technique and still cleaning resin. My personal hell is now cleaning resin.

I feel your Pain !!!

After looking at the Kit picture.... you will be busy doing that for some time...

Take your time then !!! and don't forget to wear a Mask ! not worth getting sick
over Resin dust !

Take care and in Hopes to see some of your progress soon !

Norm

OUT !

I like what I've seen and read so far, apart from the toils of resin which isn't fun... I only have a couple of Forgeworld items and they were awkward.

I look forward to seeing some more of the build with photoetch . 8)

This detail kit is a creation of the anti christ! This build was started almost 6 months ago and it really has not gotten really far. SO frustrated with it.

This is a overall of what I have managed to (mostly) clean, I have had huge problems doing this.
I think most of these resin parts were "dropped" out of a one part mold and the tops are over filled leaving a .020 to .040 thick overpour that needs to be cleaned off the backside of every resin part, this requires a LOT of sanding and a respirator. trying to do this with a belt sander or dremel motor tool leads to disasters like the loss of the toothed turret ring, which shattered into tiny pieces after being sucked out of my hands and flung across the shop at warp factor 6, even so I did recover a glue this but it frankly looks like hell and I am not sure I will use it anyway. Apparently there is NO instruction for this detail kit. we are supposed to use the box art, and references. I will also point out that this Tamiya kit was one of the old ones that was meant to be powered, as such there is a slot in the back of the hull for a optional mechanism. The Verlinden kit has a detailed engine compartment and a new rear hull but to use the new parts the back of the old one needs cut off, hell if I know were to make the cut though.

Then there is the road wheels, I can either use the kit parts or the resin "burnt" wheels, the problem with the resin road wheels is they are once again molded in one piece, the slots and even the gap between inner and outer wheels is absent, I have been banging my head against the wall on how to cut the slots in each wheel and the gap between the inner and outer road wheels with out amputating and fingers and making the part over fragile. This is another sticking point, right now I am leaning towards using the kit parts and not making a "burnt" tank, or at least not a burnt wreck that had flame impingement on the running gear.

Lastly is the interior parts, these are test fit into the hull now, still cleaning these and again I still am not sure where things belong.

Right now I need to figure out a way to make a new toothed turret ring since the resin one is now beyond use. I am open to ideas with this one.

My original thought was to make this a diorama of a section of road. I have a 1990 era Bradley that I could rebuild, a Tamiya t62 a velinden detail kit, a Trumpeter T62 and tamiya JS3 and T55 kits. to finish these in various states of abandonment along a road with a m1 and m2 trundling past. I am not sure I can finish the Tamiya T62 in its exploded and burned state, those road wheels in particular are a pain in the butt.

Almost a whole year ago I posted a image of a box of forgotten dead models, For my cold war T62 build I am considering resurrecting the Bradley in this image to make a diorama.

Part of the reason for doing this is quite frankly I needed a break from cleaning resin and had to get glue on my fingers. Here is the result so far. I still need to find or replace the Track commanders hatch, and some other missing odds and ends. I did order a metal barrel for the 25mm off of Ebay for $4, it will be here soon.

To get this far I reattached as many of the broken parts as I could lay my hands on. Then rubbed the exterior down with fine sand paper and washed it off. Once that was dry I spray bombed it Desert tan and let dry. Then did a light brown oil paint wash. Once this was dry I sponged some Olive Green to represent chipping and the sanding away for the hasty tan over paint. A lighter sponge of aluminum was made around REALLY heavy wear areas. This was then toned down with a airbrush applied dusting of gulf war tan and Buff. Followed by Tamiya weathering sticks and MIG powders to blend everything together.

Right now I need to find the missing parts and install the metal barrel when it arrives, then decide if I am going to use this or not and whether or not to add stowage all over it.

Comments?

Well I sucked it up and started the considerable surgery required in the conversion of the T-62. Shown here is the first cut I made to the back of the haul, mind you this was done by guess, trial fitting and dead reckoning. I still have no directions.

There was a LOT of cutting required on the haul top as well.

Man! That looks like a lot of work!!!

Don't despair, you will end up with a wicked model afterward.

PS: I could not find the turret ring I told you about! I must have sold the kit in question, long ago.
I am sorry! I was sure I still had it.

Norm.

Latest posts

Back