The cold war, the multitude BUILDS and eventually building a T62

Jeep

As a child growing up during the end of the cold war, I remember things like, fall out drills in school (duck and cover in the shelter) in addition to fire drills in school. There was a real fear that the Soviet Bear would come streaming across the Fulda Gap and Nuclear oblivion would be right around the corner. Any miss step in the political brinkmanship by either country could bring this about and wars were fought by supporting proxies in far away places. Now that this is fading into the past and tensions have eased, we can look back and the reasons, and the things that were developed that took the world so close to the edge.

This is a truly broad and very interesting time to build a military model. It is also well represented in my stash of models. I thought very hard about WHAT I am going to build for this group build. Some of the projects that I had already planned are as follows:

M151 ford MUTT jeep and trailer, This was going to be made up for my Father's old command. Eventually I will have a vehicle that is representative of all of my friends or family's military service. Decided that I want to wait on this one, I want them done well.

Next I have a M26 Pershing or a trio of Pattons (M60A1) (m60A3) (M48A5) no US tank says COLD WAR like the Pattons, These are on my shelf too, Maybe..........A secondary project.

Israeli M4 and M50/51 Shermans, Interesting to be sure but, I have built LOTS of Sherman already, I need a break.

The multitudes of jets of every sort, Another F4 Phantom II build is tempting, A Iranian F14 vs a 6th fleet F14 meet up would be cool, or maybe a FB111 bring the pain to Libya. but honestly, Jets and helicopters were what I was mostly building in High school.

Then in the corner, covered in dust I have a Tamiya JS3, T62A and I have a Trumpeter 1/35 Soviet T-62 Mod.1962 This is what I have finally settled on. A pair of T62s, One of the most numerous and wide spread tanks ever, The T62 is with out a doubt a great representative of the cold war era. They served in every theater and conflict that I can think of and I have not built one yet.

As I started to research this choice I notice that the earlier Tamiya T62a is considered the worst model that Tamiya has made currently. and very inaccurate. This is where the trumpeter model came from, Then while on Evilbay, I came across this:Verlinden 1:35 T62 Detail Set + Battle Dmg. Parts #2157 wouldn't you know it but I won both. The verlinden kit "fixes" the earlier Tamiya kit. About that time I came across this website; SCRATCHMOD.COM and IDF in scale Arab subjects This sealed it, new techniques to learn, lots of possibilities to research. I am going to build a pair of T62s, right now a damaged one that may be Arab in nature and maybe a Russian one, displayed together tells a pretty broad story of the cold war ear, As I add the a fore mentioned models and repair some of my earlier builds I should have a shelf full of models that represent a telling part of world history.

I would post images of the kits but 2/3s of them are in the postal stream some where. More when they arrive. In the mean time I am going to fix up some old models and practice some of those damaged tank techniques.

Re: The cold war, the multitude of choices and the T62

Ooh baby! This sounds cool! Do it! Do it! Do it!

I got a T72 M1 that I'm thinking about entering in this GB. Is that Cold War as well?

Scott Girvan said:
I got a T72 M1 that I'm thinking about entering in this GB. Is that Cold War as well?

The T-72 is a Soviet-designed main battle tank that entered production in 1970.

Yup! You're good! :)

Jeep said:
As I started to research this choice I notice that the earlier Tamiya T62a is considered the worst model that Tamiya has made currently. and very inaccurate. This is where the trumpeter model came from, Then while on Evilbay, I came across this:Verlinden 1:35 T62 Detail Set + Battle Dmg. Parts #2157 wouldn't you know it but I won both. The verlinden kit "fixes" the earlier Tamiya kit. About that time I came across this website; SCRATCHMOD.COM and IDF in scale Arab subjects This sealed it, new techniques to learn, lots of possibilities to research. I am going to build a pair of T62s, right now a damaged one that may be Arab in nature and maybe a Russian one, displayed together tells a pretty broad story of the cold war ear, As I add the a fore mentioned models and repair some of my earlier builds I should have a shelf full of models that represent a telling part of world history.

I would post images of the kits but 2/3s of them are in the postal stream some where. More when they arrive. In the mean time I am going to fix up some old models and practice some of those damaged tank techniques.

Very nice! Can't wait to see how they turned out! :)

The semi-official dates for the Cold War (this probably would have helped better when we set this up) is basically Churchill's "Iron Curtain" speech of March 5, 1946, through to the fall of the Berlin Wall, Nov. 9, 1989.

We had a cold war theme at CAMS a few years back, and I had done some research.

In the end....doesn't make a whole lot of difference, as it is all in fun!

A T-62 would be fantastic ;D
(is this the first non-flying entry?)

I did a quick google of the T-62 and it's really cool. Looks alot like the T72 which is cool too. Nice to see variations on a theme - not that they're identical.

Looking forward to seeing this Jeep.

Some of the T62 stuff came today, enough to start anyway,

Lotsa' stuff there man, looking forward to this build.

;D

Jeep said:
About that time I came across this website; SCRATCHMOD.COM

Dudes,

the creator of that artwork, Mr. Scratchmod himself is a friend of mine who lives one town over, I was just with him on Saturday. He recently got me involved in his local club, Nordland AMPS and we had a meeting at Alpenflagehobbies, who created the chapter.

He brought his latest creation, a derelict Panther sitting on some lot somewhere. He's posted some pictures on the internet somewhere, but seeing his stuff in person is amazing. You'd swear he uses real rusty steel, not plastic.

I'll try to get him over here the next time I talk to him, he's a very helpful guy when it comes to explaining his techniques.

8)

Wow, that's an oldie..... Looking forward to see how this bad boy will turn out with all those goodies you have for it....

Take care...

Norm.

I almost forgot how daunting resin is to work with. I have done lots of forge world kits for warhammer 40K and more than a few resin kits for HO and G scale trains but this is really my first try at photo etch and resin in scale modeling.

What a PAIN in the (__x__) ! I have spent the last 4 days washing the resin, sanding the resin, breaking the resin, gluing the resin, looking for the resin and generally NOT building models with the resin until this morning! To keep my sanity I took to numbering each resin piece on its sprue to make it easier to find and assemble. I have not even started with the photo etch portions yet.

I finally started to piece the turret together. The toothed turret ring gear came broken in multiple pieces and while cleaning it I managed to bust it up even more, Good thing that this is a damaged tank kit.

The breach and gun tube are solid lumps f resin. I drilled this out with a too small pin vice drill and a needle file and a half dull eXacto knife #11 between spawn time while playing some Call of Duty 4 on my PC last night in this hole I inserted a brass tube that matched the inner diameter of the main gun tube. This in effect pinned the breach block. mantle and gun tube together for strength. It all looks a lot better.

I also started to practice my rust effects on the parts of the tamiya kit that I hope to replace with the Verlinden kit. Basically I primed the tamiya turret with a brown enamel and left it to dry for several days. Then I put a coat of Dull Coat on it and left that to dry. I then "painted" it with Turpenoid odorless turpentine substitute. then stippled a sloppy coat of oil paint in rust colors to what I considered a nice patina. Over this I attacked it while still wet with various rust colored weathering pigments. Of a first try it looks OK. Next, is the salt and hairspray.

Cool. Looking forward to the rust results.

between spawn time while playing some Call of Duty 4 on my PC last night

I know what you mean, I have been "hooked" on an online game called Combat Arms.....free for the most part...online only.....great fun. Hasn't been anything like this since America's Army.

I feel your pain with the resin!!!

I like your Turret Color TEST ! it looks very promising !!!

Burnt Tanks are hard to do !!! That link will come in Handy if I ever try something like that....

Looking forward to your next Update !

Norm

OUT !

Well I am pleased with the results, It was pretty easy effect to achieve and I thought for awhile that I may have screwed it up a couple of times. The TEST turret turned out so well that I may have to use it in a diorama.

First I coated it with dullcoat then applied a heavy coat of hairspray and course Kosher Salt.

This was sprayed with the modelflex paint from the contest. It was nice just put some paint in a airbrush and going to town for once, It also dried really fast. I think I will be buying more of this for my supply.

After waiting not long enough I started to scrub the slat and hairspray off with a couple of old brushes and a tooth brush. a little bit of alcohol helped this along. I should have waited for the paint to dry a little bit longer before doing this step, some of the paint smeared instead of flaking off. This caused me to go back and reapply some oil paint and pigments to the turret to repair the damage to the rust effects I was after. OOPs

Here is the effect:

Latest posts

Back