The Battlestar Galactica Moebius should have made!

I've been waiting for a friend of mine to send me his tiny Vipers he sculpted to be in-scale with this kit for a couple of years now. He's been accumulating stuff in America for me for a couple of years now and I keep asking him to send it to me. What I need to do is finally send the package I have for him and hopefully that will motivate him. I want to recast them in clear and see if it's possible that I may be able to drill a tiny hole to insert an 0402 SMD into the nose, paint it, and have it look like the engines are lit up. Would you be interested?

Latest.

Here's where I'm trying to go:
IMG_20190408_144449724_HDR.jpg

Box stock, in case y'all ain't seen one of these:

DSCN0512.jpgDSCN0514.jpg

2 per kit, left & right.

Here's what I managed: I'm hoping it helps the final look of the model, but I wasn't impressed with the outcome of this as with many of the other mods, though this one has been one of the most tedious and time consuming.

DSCN0515.jpg
DSCN0517.jpg

I also adjusted the strip along the bottom of that top section:

DSCN0519.jpg

Here's where it'll end up:

DSCN0520.jpg
DSCN0521.jpg

I still have the other side to do and I want to add something... I don't know what really... that would add a little more detail to this. You can see alotta lumps and bumps on the studio model and I would like to add some of that to maybe help the look, but this detail is REALLY tiny.

Now, just a disclaimer: I do not mean any offence with this post or any of the others I've made.

Thank you for looking,
Rob.

Little bit more on this engine section. The gap between the upper and lower sections of this engine seems a bit tight as it comes out of the box.

Stock:
DSCN0522.jpg
DSCN0523.jpg
DSCN0524.jpg

It may need to be a bit wider, so I wider'ed it just a smidge.

side.jpg
rear.jpg
front.jpg

I think it looks a little better?

Rob.

Hey, I am glad you are back! I haven't been on this forum for several months now until tonight myself. I am happy to see your progress. I haven't touched my own Galactica kit for quite a while. I still have the lights on the breadboard on my bench next to me, which I still need to figure out. My friend did send me his tiny Vipers he sculpted. I wanna cast them in clear and figure something out for this kit.

Hey, I am glad you are back! I haven't been on this forum for several months now until tonight myself. I am happy to see your progress. I haven't touched my own Galactica kit for quite a while. I still have the lights on the breadboard on my bench next to me, which I still need to figure out. My friend did send me his tiny Vipers he sculpted. I wanna cast them in clear and figure something out for this kit.

Hello Mr. Steve! I'm glad you all back too!

I'm slowly catching up with you now.

Rob.

Hey y'all! Another apology for the length in the reply, but this really is the soonest I could post it and it's STILL just sorta tacked in place so I could make a small update, for anyone still interested in my sporadic posts. This one, I believe, has improved the look. It mainly consists of fixing up those trenches and adding some detail on those pieces along the sides just below those trenches.

Again, here's what it is straight outta the box:
dscn0522-jpg.jpg

Here, again, is what we went with:
dscn0527a-jpg.jpg

All of those tanks on the upper and lower sections of those trenches are ROCO Sheridans #254 (on the real deal) and they are cut in half, right down the center.
s-l1600-jpg.jpg

s-l1600-1-jpg.jpg

As thus:
half-jpg.jpg

The tank tread we see glimpses of in a couple pictures. I think, come from the same little ROCO #215 plastered all over the sides of the engine of the Galactica. In this next picture you can also see the Sheridan's cut in half:

265-jpg.jpg

Now, on to my feeble attempts to create some of this and what I was able to do. I took the stock pieces for the Sheridan and sliced 'em. Sliced 'em good. I added some detail to those and had to make those tracks completely from scratch. With all these 1/144 kits I showed earlier, I was able to use the tracks... TWO TRACKS... cut in half length wise and wrapped that all the way around all these tracks you'll see next.

dscn0533-jpg.jpg

Y'all with the kit will know, we still mighty small here and this took me a couple days. ALL this has been practically constant work since that last update. Evenings, mainly, but every day.

Next, I decided to add a little bit to the interior of those gaps, which we can see into now, which means I had to create a wall inside there which got cut away on the stock kit when I cut the tanks in half. I took a bit of liberty here and added a couple scribe lines and a few detail pieces to add some lumps and bumps in there. Now, there are also a couple ladder/vent/teeth looking pieces on the original, so I added those too, sorta seen here:
battlestar_original_miniature_060a-jpg.jpg

Here's how all that came out:

dscn0534-jpg.jpg

dscn0535-jpg.jpg

You can also see those new walls I had to make. This "wall" also serves to align the top and bottom now and keep the alignment in place. I'll want to be able to open this model up later if I ever have to work on it, so I started that mod with this mod.

Some may have noticed, in those last pictures, that I have detailed the outer sides of the engine just a bit too. To me, one of the biggest improvements with this latest one was the dressing up of those pieces just under those drop tanks/fuel tanks along the sides. This mod was an ABSOLUTE pain in my diminished glute, but makes a very nice show, to me anyway. They are the crane section of ROCO #257.

Those pieces, along with the angled sections at the forward of the engine (the blade at the front of the ROCO), are from the same ROCO tanks also all along the sides of the original engine section, ROCO #257:

roco257-jpg.jpg

On the crane pieces along the sides, I sanded the originals off the kit piece and using that crane outline I was left with, I had to scratch each and every crane. I also had to keep the size consistent. The body of the 257 is what's on the engine section too, so I used the body on the kit piece to keep the size right as I was making them:

dscn0532a-jpg.jpg

Ok, after writing all that, here's what I've ended up with.. Like I say, not completely permanent yet, but I think this one turned out OK.

dscn0536-jpg.jpg

dscn0537-jpg.jpg

Makes a difference this time I think.

Critique, criticism, comments, complaints and suggestions, as I've shown already, are 100% welcome and encouraged here.

Rob.

Looks a lot better than the Galactica I built out of cardboard boxes when I was a kid, parents were a bit pissed about the size of it.... loved that show.

Yeah, I say "straight runs", but that was if the TV happened to be on or we was inside at that time. Saw most of 'em later on DVD.

After current project, I have a batmobile I promised my daughter, from Christmas, though I might take a break and do the batmobile as a distraction.

Attachments

• 20230311_073559.jpg
    20230311_073559.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back