The 555 timer chip explained

There is so much junk on that site... Frikkin' optical illusion images all over the place, I couldn't filter out the noise and find the signal... Or rather, I couldn't be bothered to...

Here's what I found most useful in understanding the 555:
555 tutorial

In particular, check out that animation they've got.

What I came to understand from this thing, which I never really understood before (but could have, if only I'd taken the time to try) is that the 555 isn't a "timer chip". Rather, it's two voltage comparators that act as triggers for a set/reset flip-flop. To use the thing as a timer, you use the state of the flip/flop to control the charging/discharging of a capacitor, and use the voltage of the capacitor to feed the voltage comparators. Understanding this bit of information about the 555 made it a lot easier to understand how the 555 can be made to do other things, like a "fader" effect and so on.

They have changed the site since I posted that link, and now it is somewhat a dead link. You have to find the 555 on the left side of the page and then click on it. It is useful, well it was to me. It did explain the basics behind the use of the 555, what the capacitor does, and why you use it.

I will agree that it is a bit technical. But, I was able to build a few circuits from the site, and I did learn how to control the blink rate, among other things.

Sorry it didn't work for you.

This is a much better link to the 555. For working with Models, the Asable state is what most of you would be worried about.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/555timer.htm

I just wish I had found it earlier. It describes what I had to do with trial and error. Nice equations for getting the blink rate down.

I finally figured out that little 555 timer mystery!!! I got a circuit going with 4 LEDs , two flashing red, blue, then a RGB flasher and a plain white. Going to make the circuit permanant for a guide now. (Pats self on the back for the good work)

Glad I could help with the links, if you are interested, I have two variants posted on my enterprise NX-01 build.

Latest posts

Back