Th Old Ikea Shelf

Since my collection has been increasing I needed to find some way to display my growing collection.
I finally found a use for the old Ikea shelf! It's not much but it's a start. :)
Liking the display shelves. I would like something similar but my other half is very opposed to the idea. Apparently it could be used to display her priceless ornaments rather than my "stupid tin soldiers ". Yep, she is really interested in my hobby. Not.
Pantherman

Liking the display shelves. I would like something similar but my other half is very opposed to the idea. Apparently it could be used to display her priceless ornaments rather than my "stupid tin soldiers ". Yep, she is really interested in my hobby. Not.
Pantherman
Thanks. Luckily my wife is letting me display the dart frogs and models right in the living room. ;)
Here is Tony, on the left, and Bob & Lucy on the right.
Thank goodness the wife likes them.

Attachments

• IMG_20230310_103555_955.jpg
    IMG_20230310_103555_955.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220512_174121.jpg
    20220512_174121.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 3
IKEA has a particular cabinet that I like, but haven't bought one yet. It's the Fabrikor model, and I like its retro look. It looks like doctors' cabinets from the 30s, especially the model finished in white.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fabrikoer-glass-door-cabinet-black-blue-00363171/

Availability has been spotty, too, since the lockdowns first started back in 2020.
That's a fine looking display unit, glazed so less dust. Bit expensive but looks worth it. I like it alot.
Pantherman

IKEA has a particular cabinet that I like, but haven't bought one yet. It's the Fabrikor model, and I like its retro look. It looks like doctors' cabinets from the 30s, especially the model finished in white.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fabrikoer-glass-door-cabinet-black-blue-00363171/

Availability has been spotty, too, since the lockdowns first started back in 2020.
That is a really nice cabinet.

One drawback I'm faced with it the ever presence of floating dog fur!
Eventually I'd like to get one like the one you chose to help minimize fur-babies.
One Husky, one German Shepherd, one pit/lab mix = too much fluff.

Since my collection has been increasing I needed to find some way to display my growing collection.
I finally found a use for the old Ikea shelf! It's not much but it's a start. :)
I use a cheap book shelf and some cheap wire rack shelving from wally world, I even have an old head board against one wall that creates a shelf for when I need it. They work for now. I have a grand plan to build some nice shelving but laziness gets in the way. :)

Welcome to the world of repurposed furniture and shelves as display space!

My modeling room if full of stuff like that

I'm refinishing an old china cabinet, too, for use as a display cabinet. It's maple, about 6' high, 4' across, two shelves plus the bottom. A local dentist used it in his office and was getting rid of it. It had about 4 layers of paint on it. I've got almost all the paint off it. I'm thinking of ordering some mirrored glass to glue to the back inside, to reflect the contents. I may add some lights, too. I should get it finished this spring.

Last edited:
I'm refinishing an old china cabinet, too, for use as a display cabinet. It's maple, about 6' high, 4' across, two shelves plus the bottom. A local dentist used it in his office and was getting rid of it. It had about 4 layers of paint on it. I've got almost all the paint off it. I'm thinking of ordering some mirrored glass to glue to the back inside, to reflect the contents. I may add some lights, too. I should get it finished this spring.
That sould really nice. Maple is such a pretty wood. I like the mirror idea too and the lights would really add a POP to it all.
Looking forward to seeing your cabinet.

Latest posts

Back