Testors spray ( rattle-can) Lacquer issue

urumomo

So I know more than two other people have used this :

20151026_235749_zpssdrempwl.jpg

?? problems ?

The first time . I used it to clear coat the paintwork prior to using oil washes .
That went spectacularly well ;) .. the spirits made short work of dissolving it .fun , . Horrible . shameful .

Then . so long ago I forget about it . so , just this week I used it to clear-coat prior to setting decals and the Micro-Sol made very short work of scaring it into a mess . :eek:

........So . Can I cook with it . ? At least .

What Tha ? My books tell me 'cured lacquer' is good against mineral spirits .. I don't know about vinegar

Lay it on me , please ::) ;D

Uru

With any laquer based paint or coating, you must let it cure and dry completely for at least 24 hours before painting over the top of it.

;D -- So I assume 4 days at 77F and 60% humidity would be enough to full cure for a thin coat ?

Yes ::) , one would hope

I don't know what this stuff is good for other than making stuff shiny .

I swear by this stuff here :

20151027_111925_zpstcthif19.jpg

The can says allow 5-7 days for full bond to plastic and it's no lie -- the primer and paint become one .
You can sand the primer down to a feather edge no problem and acrylic bonds to it beautifully .
.... and at under $ 4 a 12oz can it's a steal

Mineral spirit wash will eat right through an enamel or lacquer coat.

If you plan on using a mineral spirit wash, better off to use an acrylic clear coat.

Mineral spirits ( paint thinner ) will NOT dissolve cured enamel or lacquer . OR , it's not supposed to .
You can definitely clean surfaces coated with cured enamel with paint thinner .
"lacquer thinner" of which there are different formulations galore but contain acetone , toluene and more will dissolve cured lacquer but not enamel .

20151027_121154_zpsx5wl2ghh.jpg

.... at least the coatings we use daily in residential construction behave this way and behave exactly as all my books on finishing , paints , coatings etc say it will .
Same thing with people telling me you can clean off cured epoxy with acetone -- you can't . Not after it cures .

Why I want to know what that stuff actually is .
Not that I plan on using it again

Uru

Well, good luck to you, but I think you just disproved that list.

Easy way to look up what it is, search for its MSDS sheet. Tell you all you want to know.

Well , Elm City , I never had an issue with mineral spirits on acrylic or cured enamel .

... and everyone ( guys that do the stuff for a living ) that I ask tells me what the books tell me ;) - that mineral spirits will not dissolve cured lacquer . -- or cured enamel or cured acrylic .

I checked out the MSDS for the stuff @ Testors :p -- I guess I should email them and ask :p

Cheers

;D O K
Just got off the phone with Rust-Oleum which evidently owns Testors

They tell me that lacquer formulation requires 72 hours to cure or the mineral spirits will be able to soften it back into a solution BUT after that it will have no effect -- she didn't know about Micro-Sol or similar decal solutions and their chemistry ....
... so I quess I didn't wait as long as I remember for it to cure out --- but I don't see any advantage in this stuff if I have to wait 3 days before it's 'safe' . so- ' it's been fun' :-*

Also , within The Rust-Oleum " Painter's Touch ' line that I like so much ( pictured above ) , the Clear-Coat is acrylic and the primers use a modified oil ( enamel )
...... just so you know :)

Latest posts

Back