Testors AC-47 "Spooky" Gunship

Don't ya love that Sotar!! Even the more sweet being hard earned prize.

Dakota is looking great, like the idea of sanding between coats. marking in my notebook.. 8)

Been a while since I looked in here Myke ....She's came a long way !!!...looks awesome buddy ,I like the way you're doing the camo ,looks very effective :)

Chris.

The Sotar is indeed a great AB, and I've been enjoying it since it arrived.

I finally managed to complete the painting on this.

Final masking done and Dark Green applied.

IMG_20111018_120956.jpg

IMG_20111018_121001.jpg

IMG_20111018_121007.jpg

Masking off and here is the product in various crappy lighting situation.

IMG_20111018_142107.jpg

IMG_20111018_142159.jpg

IMG_20111018_142207.jpg

IMG_20111018_142053.jpg

IMG_20111018_142117.jpg

Just need to touch these bits up with some Tan and I'll be ready for gloss coating.

IMG_20111018_142224.jpg

IMG_20111018_142216.jpg

This will be a bit of a stop point for me on this. I can't use the decals that were provided with the kit so I'm going to have to find another set somewhere. A set that was printed in the last 15 years or so might be nice.

Once I get the touch up done and before the gloss coat I'll dull it all down with super thinned mistings of white. This also smooths the colors into each other a bit more.

Thanks for following!

Hey Myke !!! Question !

The Blue-Tack putty you've used ! Did it leave a residue on the paint....? Either oily or sticky ?? I never used that masking technique and I might have to with my Prowler... with the hard edged camo; I might chose .... I will need something like that… to duplicate this…
and in the advent it did.... ! what did you use to remove the stain ? once again… if it deed you had some residue from the Blue-Tack…?

The Camo looks stunning !!! BTW ! Good job ! On the Old gal !

Hi, Myke, that camo came out pretty nice!

I'm curious to know, too, whether the BluTak left any residue.

I do the blu-tack/poster putty/silly putty thing all the time and have never had an issue with staining.

I usually mess it up all by myself! ;) :D ;D

I've never had any kind of marks or stains or anything. Here are the steps I used

1. spray black on the bottom
2. gloss coat the black
3. mask the bottom
4. spray the base coat on top (dark tan)
5. spray thin coat of future (just in case the masking didn't want to stick to the flat coat)
6. mask off the tan
7. spray the medium green
8. mask the medium green
9. spray the dark green
10. remove the masks

Of course I left ample time to dry in between coats, and after I masked the medium green, I didn't get around to spraying the dark green for a week. So I had putty on the plane for two weeks and no marks :)

The key to getting sharp line is spraying the open areas from all angles and give it a couple of coats to make sure.

Norm: You might find it tough using this method for such small and tight patterns. The blu tack can only get so thin before it's unmanageable. Def. give it a try for the big areas.

Hey Myke, looks great. Just to follow up with some of the other questions - what brand of Blu-tack are you using? The reason I ask is that up here you can get various different brands of similar products and I know that some of the ones we have used around the house have stained the wall paint in my sons rooms.

Just wondering...

hey JMac: I think it's the 3M brand. I'm not 100% certain because when I bought it I just made it into a giant ball, and threw it on my workbench, and that was 3 years ago. It's full of dust and paint and a bit of dog and cat fur. Perhaps that's the secret. When I bought it though I used it right out of the package to mask a Hurricane for it's camo and didn't have any issues with it then.

On a side note everyone, I've added a good gloss coat on the entire plane and have the decals ordered. As soon as they arrive I'll get this finished up and focus nearly all my attention to my F/A-18C over in the Navy/Marine Group Build.

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,4087.0.html

Latest posts

Back