Testors AC-47 "Spooky" Gunship

Myke

Approximately 212 years ago, I built my first model. My first model (best I can remember) was this; The Testors AC-47 Spooky Gunship. That model is long gone and your guess is as good as mine as to what happened to it, but a year ago at our local IPMS show I came across one of them. I wasn't looking for it, but as soon as I saw it, it brought back so many good memories that I had to buy it. It was an open box with missing pieces (the guns, a clear part, and the door), but the core was there so I had something to work with.

IMG_20110221_223842.jpg

That night after I got home from the show, I began construction. I could not wait to get it open and see that old green plastic and make a proper comparison to kits of today. I finished it in 10 days, and sat it on the shelf, proud to have my first ever kit finished and in my modeling room. Well after less than three months on the shelf, I knew I had to put some proper time in it and refinish it. I kept looking at it and thinking how incredibly bad it looked. There were seam lines showing, re-scribed panel lines that were crooked and inconsistencies in the paint work, not to mention the rough weathering job that I did on it.

And thus..., my next gig is to refinish my beloved first kit. It's not going to be a perfect piece, there are no scratch built pieces, resin or PE on it. It’s just an old kit out of the box.

Here are some shots in case you've never seen it. I didn't take photos along the entire build process, just these few when I opened up the box.

IMG_20110219_205236-1.jpg

IMG_20110222_004602.jpg

IMG_20110222_003700.jpg

IMG_20110222_004440.jpg

IMG_20110221_225101.jpg

IMG_20110221_225138.jpg

I can tell you that the kit went together as good if not better than a lot of kits you get today. Makes me wonder why Testors aren't making kits anymore like they used to.

I am dying to find the old Testors C-130 in 1/48th scale they did (not the gunship version). I see it on eBay every now and again but the timing is never right to buy it. That was a special kit for me back in the day and would love to have another one.

-Myke

I remember that kit well, looking forward to seeing this (content nazis block photobucket at work so I have to check this out later.)

Wow thats awesome you were able to get the first kit you ever built. Cant wait to see what you do to it.

Makes me want to go find a 1/48 Memphis Belle.
Your wok looks like it will be one of love, this time around

Thanks guys! ;D

Definitely a work of love and definitely made up I was able to find this kit. I'm keeping it very simple and just want to have a nice finish on it so that when I walk by and see it on the shelf, it stands out for just that.

To get started on this little project, I've removed the props, gears and wheels and other small pieces and started cleaning them up. I've stripped the paint, filled the mistakes with some CA and Vallejo Putty and did a preliminary sanding. I then hit it with some primer and worked on the finishing sanding for the top and bottom.

IMG_20110816_094357.jpg

IMG_20110816_094410.jpg

IMG_20110816_094425.jpg

Gonna take care of the rest of the sanding and hit it with another coat of primery.

Take care guys.

Very cool! Is this in 1/48, or 1/72? I never knew that anyone had issued a 1/48 C-47 back then, except Monogram. It would be an excellent display along with the C-130, I agree.

Great tale of nostalgia Myke! Your prep work is looking very good and we all know a piece is only as good as the prep work. Should be a real stunner when done. Have fun with it!

Thanks but they are not mine. They belong to a club member and are actually all gunships. It's a set he did to trace the lineage of the AC-47

Myke said:
To get started on this little project, I've removed the props, gears and wheels and other small pieces and started cleaning them up. I've stripped the paint, filled the mistakes with some CA and Vallejo Putty and did a preliminary sanding. I then hit it with some primer and worked on the finishing sanding for the top and bottom.

IMG_20110816_094357.jpg

IMG_20110816_094410.jpg

IMG_20110816_094425.jpg

Gonna take care of the rest of the sanding and hit it with another coat of primery.

Take care guys.

Mighty fine work Myke.

So from the photo of the finished models, I take it that it's 1/72. Looking forward to the next installment!

Latest posts

Back