Tamiya Yamaha YZF R1 trio build 1/12

7165jay07

Hi everyone, this will be my first posting of a build, as the title says i intend to build a Trio of these YZF R1 bikes in one go, am I nuts :-\ :-\
Well they are basically the same bike but in different paint schemes
1 x 1998 Red & White
1 x 1999 White & Red
1 x 1999 Taira Racing Silver although this could become the Clear smoked body finish Full-View version as i have one of these Limited release kits. not sure yet??

Thanks for looking
Jay

[attachment deleted by admin]

WOW !!! Jumping straight in Jay huh !!! Way to go mate ,I'll be watching this one ....sorry three ;D

Chris.

Thanks for the support guys. ;D
Just a little update but i am pretty pleased to of got this started.
The engines have had the first coat of paint and are now being assembled.
Just starting to detail them whilst i can ge to all areas before adding the other parts.

Thanks for looking,
Jay

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nice tidy work Jay :) ...looking good .

Chris.

This is cool watching a model building production line :)

OK, so it's been a while since i posted any updates to this but as with most of us work has had to come first and it's been a really busy time, then i was on holiday and guess what upon return to work there was a whole mountain of tings to catch up on and sort out.
i did have a spark of inspiration whilst on holiday though and this has now meant that the Trio will become a Duo and a solo and i will finish the solo first.
Inspiration came in the form of the US T-mobile commercial i saw on the tv, anyways my wife see's me watching intently and looks at me as if i am some kind of weirdo and asks why i'm staring at this leather clad girl on TV.
Desperatly trying to defend my concentration i explain that i was looking at the motor bike she is riding and not her ;) see image.
So, i explain that i think the colour scheme would look cool on one of the YZF's, her reply was "I like the pink colour" so that settled it final colour decided. Thank you wifey ;D Will post some pics shortly as work has begun!
Sorry, was a bit of a ramble ;D
Jay

IMG_0371_zpsbaef3e0e.jpg

Finished Engine, may decide to put a little wash on to pick out the details as Chris S does so well ;).
IMG_0060_zps92d9531f.jpg
IMG_0055_zps612250be.jpg
IMG_0058_zpscc466070.jpg

Jay

OK, the three amigos ride again. Iv'e gone back to the original plan of building the three in one go as i got a few hours of unexpected building time in and felt inspired ;D ;D
First pic is of the frames, two in the standard polished ally look and one in semi gloss black.
5c95af62d3dd5bb42aac241334f96c95_zps8b15b70f.jpg

These are the front and side fairings in white primer
ce1344b7769f7fc38bb2fb2f655b5847_zps202231d8.jpg

Finally the tank, seat and rear sections filled sanded and in primer.
8b2abc26d5a4d917d358c0d5170d2ae8_zps2e114773.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Jay

Good to see you back at it Jay :)

Looking real good too ,The engine is sweet :) .I like the idea of the Black & pink too ..nice contrast .

Chris.

OK, so it's been a while and to be honest i lost focus and started other builds, but it's back on the bench and the urge to continue has returned. Finished painting the engines and got them mounted in the frames.
3c8879c9e00b9ce478b756b53f33fca0_zps56b1e771.jpg
Painted and detailed the rear lights and under frame fairings.
196fd335f94acefe9e2b9cf67eb8846f_zps42ccf078.jpg
Also the Pink base on the body for the pink & black scheme. (The colour look off but trust me that is Tamiya fluorescent pink and man is that bright 8)
aeeb52639f9c2e74b17afc20005b49aa_zps12252c44.jpg

Jay

Absolutely fabulous work there Jay.................and ya a brave man doing 3 :eek:, love the choice of colour so far, makes me wanna break out he Yam YZR-M1 i`ve got in the stash ;)

Thanks Boots, do it, they are great kits. You will soon be hooked after your first, just ask Chris S ;) ;D
Jay

Hi, More progress made.
Rear suspensions. Check, Rear Sprocket and chain. Check, Wheels and tyres. Check.
Need to do a bit more detailing on each of the chains to bring them to life but happy so far.
f132b1038e19b2cf522a7c8c9afeb3e1_zps928e4df1.jpg
But alas disaster has struck ::) in my haste to get the matt black over the Pink i didn't wait long enough for it to cure properly and as with some Tamiya Sprays it reacted with the black and started to seperate. I had this happen on an old bike i built years ago, lesson learned finally ;D
f7786f94ec40f7054138389980f16bb4_zpsdfade083.jpg
So time to strip it off and start again. I am going to look for a different pink this time though, something i can use in the the airbrush instead of a rattle can any suggestion are welcome.
Thanks for looking in.
Jay

Whoa thats a bummer Jay :(, daft question buddy but can you not mix your own Pink using the Tam Red and White............just a thought and at least you can bang it thru the AB ;), good luck with this one fella coz everything looks great...............and yeah the Yam will make a visit when i get a chance, did the Repsol Honda a while back and i`m itching to do another bike.....

Here`s a coupla pics of the Rossi bike...................soz bud not hijacking ya thread ;D

Keep up the great work Jay ;)

Latest posts

Back