Tamiya Stug IV

Wolf Star

Man of mayhem
Was home sick today and bored, so I was working on my Tamiya Stug Iv. This is the old 1974 kit. The muffler is just sorta sitting in place, not glued on crooked. I'm using the RB Models barrel and I have RFM individual link and length tracks, but having a hard time getting them to fit to the Tamiya sprockets. I may end up just using the Tamiya rubber bands.
#Stuglife

IMG-20210526-172718592.jpg
IMG-20210526-172728092.jpg
IMG-20210526-172740470.jpg

That’s looking pretty good Wolf.
I’m liking the color shifting on the top view in particular. Shows it off most excellent.
Keep bringing it.
Those old classics are so underrated anymore these days. What with $70 US for the same Dragon, you can build a platoon and at normal viewing distances, you’d be hard pressed.

That’s looking pretty good Wolf.
I’m liking the color shifting on the top view in particular. Shows it off most excellent.
Keep bringing it.
Those old classics are so underrated anymore these days. What with $70 US for the same Dragon, you can build a platoon and at normal viewing distances, you’d be hard pressed.
Thanks! Yeah, I know what you mean. I think I paid about $20 for this old kit. I love building armor, but I can't fathom spending that kind of money on a newer offering, and then perhaps having to spend another $40-$60 on tracks because I do like Friulmodel track, etc... For a kit originally put out in 1974, Tamiya delivers.

Work continues. Got the running gear and tracks on. I decided to use the Tamiya vinyl tracks. I did some pin washes, rust washes, other detailing.

I still have to apply markings, I should have done it sooner, but eh, it's fine. Also need to do detail painting on the tools and weather those appropriately to match. This vehicle will eventually be in a cemetery diorama scene.

I also still have streaking, color modulation and other details to do like some mud, more dirt, etc.

IMG-20210613-193414649.jpg
IMG-20210613-193434109.jpg
IMG-20210613-193444896.jpg
IMG-20210613-193455050-HDR.jpg
IMG-20210613-193507281.jpg

It's a nice palette cleanser to build something almost out of box for a change. The only real aftermarket I've used so far is the RB barrel which was cheap. I really waffled on whether or not to buy some nice tracks for this. But for a sub 20$ kit, seemed dumb to spend nearly 40 on the tracks.

I have a Tamyia Tiger I mid production that I built 19 years ago that I used Friulmodel tracks on, along with Verlinden detailing set which included copper fenders, resin engine bay and other details. Last year I went to move it in my display cabinet and the dang thing literally disintegrated in my hands. I kept what I could, and I got a replacement Tiger on order (on sale too) that will show up in the future, so I can still re-use my tracks and some of the other things I saved. I throw nothing away.

Thanks. I have to:
Finish weathering the tank and figure out the stowage items, but the final weathering will have to match the ground work.
Still waiting for my figures, they are coming from Taiwan and may be awhile.
Work on the grass work, other terrain stuff, blown out bricks, headstones and wrought iron gate.
Other misc. details.

I've made some minor progress on my dio, but not much progress. Been going camping a lot before the kids go back to school. Last week I ordered some longer static grass and I'm gonna be 3D printing some stuff for my little cemetery. Not much free time for models unfortunately.

This is where things are at right now. I'll be airbrushing some of the grasses to get them to blend better once the terrain stuff is complete. I have a rusty gate for the entrance and need to make some loose bricks. Also have some tall grass/weeds and want to make a small tree. My static grass applicator doesn't seem to like the long stuff. It was great with the initial pass of 8mm flock, but for some reason the 12mm grass tends to lie down.

I also have a crew for them.
s-l500.jpg

IMG_20210817_170809176.jpg
IMG_20210817_170816319.jpg

I managed to get some headstones 3D printed. Hopefully I can get around to painting them this weekend and I will post pics.

Latest posts

Back