Tamiya Sherman M4A3E8 - 1/35 Scale

gameengineer

Might as well chronicle my adventure here. This will be my first model build attempt with attention to scale details. I know there will be plenty of mistakes but it should still be fun and still be a great learning experience.

Just ordered my first airbrush (Badger Patriot 105) with Master Airbrush TC-20T 1/5 HP compressor. Its a cheap compressor so if it poops out (which I hope it doesn't) I have my 6 gal. 2HP (noisy) air compressor as a back up. I am thinking of getting a cheap model of some sort to practice airbrushing on.

I will do a paint scheme different from Tamiya's image below but this is the general look of the tank.

EDIT: Okay I haven't even started and I am already changing my mind on the model to build. I admit not doing as much research on the M4A3 variant but I thought the one I bought originally was the "Fury" version. It wasn't. I originally set out to built that version. So I found the right model and this is the one I am going to build.

Sherman_M4A3E8_zpsmbm1b7ig.jpg
Image from Tamiya: Sherman M4A3E8 (Tamiya model: TM35346)

-Steve

Re: Tamiya Sherman M4A3 75mm gun - 1/35 Scale

six gallons of air at 120 psi will last plenty long running an airbrush at 12-15 psi ;D

so the noisy part would be once daily at most .

Looking forward to some build pics !

Cheers ,
Uru

urumomo said:
six gallons of air at 120 psi will last plenty long running an airbrush at 12-15 psi ;D

so the noisy part would be once daily at most .
Ok, picture this. The one time when it would run would be late in the evening (the only time I can find to do hobbies, think: house full of needy family). So its either maintain a happy home with sleeping members using a quiet compressor or wake everybody up when the goliath compressor goes off. :D

Looking forward to some build pics !
Thanks!

-Steve

Just say'n .
You can charge it up when the noise it makes is irrelevant .

I charge up a little 3 gal + an eleven gal reserve from Harbor Freight and it lasts me from 1 to 3 days depending .

......... no compressor is quieter than any compressor .

We digress .

So -- you're planning a winter white-wash on the Sherman ?

IMO , the Tamiya example is lame .
check out some better , real examples online .

Ciao

urumomo,
My OP says I am doing to do a paint scheme different from the Tamiya box image. I don't like that look much either.

-Steve

just asking if you're doing a winter scheme . . .

I'll wait and see ;D

urumomo said:
just asking if you're doing a winter scheme . . .

I'll wait and see ;D
Probably not because I have some ideas for the diorama that isn't a winter theme. Thanks for the interest though. I have no idea what I'm doing but there's no time to waste getting it done! ::)

Started the build this weekend. Been 35 some years since I've built a model. Felt good actually but the parts were certainly harder to see. :) I use a lit magnifying stand.

I also found using sprue cutters was certainly the easy way to go too. I used xacto blades before. Also found the Tamiya Extra thin glue to be really nice to work with especially the small applicator brush. I am not very far along but I spent a lot of time sanding parts removing seams and sprue nubs (or whatever you call them). I am trying to do things much differently than before when I just slapped the model together as fast as I could.

I know this is pretty noob stuff but it sure felt nice to get back to model building. Can't wait to use my new airbrush too. :D

DSC_0690_zpszipgztnu.jpg
DSC_0691_zpsomnq5kas.jpg
DSC_0692_zpsm1lv4jxy.jpg
DSC_0693_zpsehm9dxmw.jpg

I am building that same kit. My first armor model build in 35 years. It’s a good kit. I’ll be following your build.

Started the build this weekend. Been 35 some years since I've built a model. Felt good actually but the parts were certainly harder to see. :) I use a lit magnifying stand.

I also found using sprue cutters was certainly the easy way to go too. I used xacto blades before. Also found the Tamiya Extra thin glue to be really nice to work with especially the small applicator brush. I am not very far along but I spent a lot of time sanding parts removing seams and sprue nubs (or whatever you call them). I am trying to do things much differently than before when I just slapped the model together as fast as I could.

I know this is pretty noob stuff but it sure felt nice to get back to model building. Can't wait to use my new airbrush too. :D

View attachment 79932
View attachment 79933
View attachment 79934
View attachment 79935
I've just ordered this kit myself. And an aftermarket decal sheet. Going to save it for cooler weather.

Hey man... Just recently got back into the hobby myself and I can relate, it does feel good to get back into it. Tho the techniques involved have certainly changed... Back then every effect was made with paint. Now, oh my, it's a Forrest of options. A bit overwhelming to be honest.

Anyway, I'm going through the same process with the m41 bulldog and learning a lot. Next project will probably be the Tamyia M1A2 Abrams.

I'll certainly be following along.

Have you seen Night Shift video og 50 shades of olive drab? Very interesting.

Latest posts

Back