Tamiya Mk.5 Chieftain

Docbritofmf

This is the second tank of kit i have ever attempted to build but the first time I've ever made a serious attempt at oil paint weathering.

The kit as said above is another Tamiya Mk.5 Chieftain tank, as I said from my last tank build I couldn't be more impressed with the kit, the quality is way greater then the revells and hobby boss kits I've built.

I started taking photos of this build late into the build because it honestly wasnt on my mind untill I decided I was gonna step my skills up a notch and try for some weathering.
PXL_20221003_003139679.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20221003_003132488.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20221003_003110183.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20221003_003104076.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20221003_002639281.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20221003_002624368.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20221003_002445932.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20221003_002438285.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20221003_002506640.PORTRAIT.jpg

The build is mostly finished aside from some touch ups and assembly of the three main structures.

I figured it would be easier to work on weathering if I did so in sections, I purchased a cheap set of oil paint and after alittle learning curve on blending and the right amount of thinner I'm starting to get the hang of it,

On the turret you can see directly top I had issues blending it's also still slightly wet so it's standing out but on some other areas around the turret I started to find my grove and each step of blending is starting to make more sense as I work threw it.

I also made a few custom parts, such as a wire cable I made out of beading wire to replace the plastic ones the kit came with, also the tank has a part called a wire wheel but this wheel has no wire so I added to it

Lastly I saw a trick on YouTube were you can make lite fixtures look like they have an actual glass lense on them by putting a thick layer of clear canopy glue over the top of a painted surface I'll take pictures of it but I think it worked surprisingly well.

Still got a lot of work Todo but I'd love some feed back and suggestions cause this is still a huge learning curve for me

Last edited:
This is the second tank of kit i have ever attempted to build but the first time I've ever made a serious attempt at oil paint weathering.

The kit as said above is another Tamiya Mk.5 Chieftain tank, as I said from my last tank build I couldn't be more impressed with the kit, the quality is way greater then the revells and hobby boss kits I've built.

I started taking photos of this build late into the build because it honestly wasnt on my mind untill I decided I was gonna step my skills up a notch and try for some weathering.
View attachment 93977View attachment 93978View attachment 93979View attachment 93980View attachment 93981View attachment 93982View attachment 93984View attachment 93985View attachment 93983

The build is mostly finished aside from some touch ups and assembly of the three main structures.

I figured it would be easier to work on weathering if I did so in sections, I purchased a cheap set of oil paint and after alittle learning curve on blending and the right amount of thinner I'm starting to get the hang of it,

On the turret you can see directly top I had issues blending it's also still slightly wet so it's standing out but on some other areas around the turret I started to find my grove and each step of blending is starting to make more sense as I work threw it.

I also made a few custom parts, such as a wire cable I made out of beading wire to replace the plastic ones the kit came with, also the tank has a part called a wire wheel but this wheel has no wire so I added to it

Lastly I saw a trick on YouTube were you can make lite fixtures look like they have an actual glass lense on them by putting a thick layer of clear canopy glue over the top of a painted surface I'll take pictures of it but I think it worked surprisingly well.

Still got a lot of work Todo but I'd love some feed back and suggestions cause this is still a huge learning curve for me
Looking really good to me.
Pantherman

I added some chipping and rusting and weathering it's not done, again it's a learning curve so I'm trying to find the balance PXL_20221003_195431491.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20221003_195453601.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20221003_195505200.PORTRAIT.jpg
If you have any pointers suggestions or tips I'll gladly take any constructive criticism

PXL_20221005_001834076.PORTRAIT.jpg
Just added some more weathering effects to the model.

I found a video on YouTube on how to make your own weathering powder like the Tamiya kits using crushed and powdered pastels. So I made some soot like weathering effects using a black pastel.

I think over all the weathering went well but it's still a learning experience each step of the way.

Nice looking build of a Mk V in I'm guessing a 'what if' camouflage scheme. I am not acting as a critic, that's honestly not in my nature, but the British Army never used the Nato 3 tone paint job. Most Mk V's from my time of sitting in either the Gunner or Loader position they were mainly painted in Deep Bronze Green (gloss) as a single colour or with Matt Black disruptive camouflage, often thinned with a little Diesel fuel, just to add a little shine. During the 1980's the colour was changed to an anti-Infrared reflective paint. Your base green coat that you showed looked about right for that. Of course the Berlin Brigade Afvs were painted in the Urban warfare block pattern.
The Leyland Multi Fuel Pack was a filthy beast at the best of times, so you could add lots more pastel to the exhaust area. It's funny looking at the huge searchlight brings back memories of night shoots in the days before Image Intensification sights were issued.
I look forward to seeing more of your work in future.

Aye'
John

Nice looking build of a Mk V in I'm guessing a 'what if' camouflage scheme. I am not acting as a critic, that's honestly not in my nature, but the British Army never used the Nato 3 tone paint job. Most Mk V's from my time of sitting in either the Gunner or Loader position they were mainly painted in Deep Bronze Green (gloss) as a single colour or with Matt Black disruptive camouflage, often thinned with a little Diesel fuel, just to add a little shine. During the 1980's the colour was changed to an anti-Infrared reflective paint. Your base green coat that you showed looked about right for that. Of course the Berlin Brigade Afvs were painted in the Urban warfare block pattern.
The Leyland Multi Fuel Pack was a filthy beast at the best of times, so you could add lots more pastel to the exhaust area. It's funny looking at the huge searchlight brings back memories of night shoots in the days before Image Intensification sights were issued.
I look forward to seeing more of your work in future.

Aye'
John
Thanks for the input I actually caught this mistake after the paint was on, the Tamiya instructions all though extremely helpful put the paint colors in small foot notes, with the picture being black and white I assumed. Standard NATO style greens browns and dark green or black but looking back at the instructions I saw it stated green with dark green and at that point I was past the point of no return unfortunately.

I do have. Question why was the search light blue? I'm assuming because it's night enough but not white since white light is a no no on the bottle field.

Also what is the purpose the round forward facing hatch on the turret left side

Good Evening,
Your questions in truth I have even spoken with another ex Tankie today regarding the small round circle on the left front of the turret as although I was aware of it being there nobody or any of the materials that we have examined even mentions it. So I cannot find any reference, but it is not a hatch. As the turret went through a number of development versions over its early life, maybe it is an artifact of something. I do know that it is in the area of the Gun trunnions. It is interesting to notice that although Tamiya describe it as a Mk V, it has been stated over the years since it was released that it contains elements of other Marks of vehicles. Their 1/25 scale kit even has the stowage bin on the nose of the Glacis plate, that was a false addition to hide the slope and thickness from those would have liked such info to seek countermeasures against it.
The Commanders spotlight is something that I never saw fitted, but as it was not for use in Battle would likely be just for White light. I have never seen a blue filter, may its another thing that tamiya saw on the tank they used for the kit.
I have fired in training using the main searchlight using white light, in illumination of targets for Scorpion, Scimitar and Fox CVRs as initially the Image Intensification sights were not on general issue to all units.
Although I never saw them, there were dark filters for the lights which were to be used as active Infrared for night observation and engagement, which of course became counter productive as others used the same type of equipment, making it no difference from white light. When I trained as a gunner on the MBT in the mid 1970s, it was at the start of the Image Intensification use, which in only a few short years became Thermal Observation Gunnery and the magic ballistic computers. A sad aside is that I believe that Gunnery suffered as the Mk 1 Eyeball and Head Computer, took much of the enjoyment of the Gunnery Skills out of the turret.

Sorry for a bit of a ramble, but it is enjoyable to share time with others who enjoy the history behind our hobby. If I manage to find out the purpose of the small circle, if it has one, I will get back to you. Aye' John

Good Evening,
Your questions in truth I have even spoken with another ex Tankie today regarding the small round circle on the left front of the turret as although I was aware of it being there nobody or any of the materials that we have examined even mentions it. So I cannot find any reference, but it is not a hatch. As the turret went through a number of development versions over its early life, maybe it is an artifact of something. I do know that it is in the area of the Gun trunnions. It is interesting to notice that although Tamiya describe it as a Mk V, it has been stated over the years since it was released that it contains elements of other Marks of vehicles. Their 1/25 scale kit even has the stowage bin on the nose of the Glacis plate, that was a false addition to hide the slope and thickness from those would have liked such info to seek countermeasures against it.
The Commanders spotlight is something that I never saw fitted, but as it was not for use in Battle would likely be just for White light. I have never seen a blue filter, may its another thing that tamiya saw on the tank they used for the kit.
I have fired in training using the main searchlight using white light, in illumination of targets for Scorpion, Scimitar and Fox CVRs as initially the Image Intensification sights were not on general issue to all units.
Although I never saw them, there were dark filters for the lights which were to be used as active Infrared for night observation and engagement, which of course became counter productive as others used the same type of equipment, making it no difference from white light. When I trained as a gunner on the MBT in the mid 1970s, it was at the start of the Image Intensification use, which in only a few short years became Thermal Observation Gunnery and the magic ballistic computers. A sad aside is that I believe that Gunnery suffered as the Mk 1 Eyeball and Head Computer, took much of the enjoyment of the Gunnery Skills out of the turret.

Sorry for a bit of a ramble, but it is enjoyable to share time with others who enjoy the history behind our hobby. If I manage to find out the purpose of the small circle, if it has one, I will get back to you. Aye' John
Ya Tamiya listed it as a hatch with the option for the door to be opened or closed permanently after it's built I modified it by cutting the inner porthole open instead of the door opening to a wall painted black to look like a darken interior.

I thought maybe it was storage or an access hatch to imaging or targeting components

:D I think golgotha is talking about something else ,
he says ,
" but it is not a hatch. As the turret went through a number of development versions over its early life, maybe it is an artifact of something. I do know that it is in the area of the Gun trunnions. "

The trunnion for the main gun is far forward of that . .. and that's definitely a hatch .
I don't see anything that looks like a round hatch out front of that so I don't know what golgotha is referencing .

I just watched this video , was hoping he would say something about it .
The one in the video has a rectangular door .
It must be storage , but golgotha-the-tanker will know what for specifically .

:D I think golgotha is talking about something else ,
he says ,
" but it is not a hatch. As the turret went through a number of development versions over its early life, maybe it is an artifact of something. I do know that it is in the area of the Gun trunnions. "

The trunnion for the main gun is far forward of that . .. and that's definitely a hatch .
I don't see anything that looks like a round hatch out front of that so I don't know what golgotha is referencing .

I just watched this video , was hoping he would say something about it .
The one in the video has a rectangular door .
It must be storage , but golgotha-the-tanker will know what for specifically .

We'll see that's why they keep you around clarification and fact checking

Are you two talking about this ? :

View attachment 94137
... Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds like y'all are talking about 2 different things ?
If it is this part that is being discussed then I admit to being at crossed purposes, my error. This hatch is the armoured cover of the White Light/IR Projector for Gunnery illumination at night. It is an artifact of the days before science developed light intensification and thermal sights.
Having experienced firing on a night shoot on the ranges, why you would send a powerful white beam that invited another weapon system to 'kill me' and anyway destroyed your night vision always seemed to negate the advantages the armour gave you.
On the final versions in which the Stillbrew armour upgrade package, Thermal Observation Gunnery Sight (TOGS) & Improved Fire Control System (IFCS) the Projector was removed and
the container with the door then became a part of the TOGS Equipment, which I never experienced as I trained on the original Gunnery kit using 50 ranging machine gun and eyeballs.

The only representative picture is from the Tank Museum and will give an idea.

Aye,
John.

Attachments

• 20221007_175333_edited.jpeg
    20221007_175333_edited.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 3
My senior moment had me thinking about this circular mark.
John

Attachments

• Mk V.jpeg
    Mk V.jpeg
    13.2 KB · Views: 4
Thanks !

So this is what you were referring to ?
jlgfa0T.jpg
or the one above it ?

Maybe that is where the trunnion mounts are connected ? Just a guess , obviously .

If it is this part that is being discussed then I admit to being at crossed purposes, my error. This hatch is the armoured cover of the White Light/IR Projector for Gunnery illumination at night. It is an artifact of the days before science developed light intensification and thermal sights.
Having experienced firing on a night shoot on the ranges, why you would send a powerful white beam that invited another weapon system to 'kill me' and anyway destroyed your night vision always seemed to negate the advantages the armour gave you.
On the final versions in which the Stillbrew armour upgrade package, Thermal Observation Gunnery Sight (TOGS) & Improved Fire Control System (IFCS) the Projector was removed and
the container with the door then became a part of the TOGS Equipment, which I never experienced as I trained on the original Gunnery kit using 50 ranging machine gun and eyeballs.

The only representative picture is from the Tank Museum and will give an idea.

Aye,
John.
That's like a damn beacon saying hey shot me I'm right here

Thanks !

So this is what you were referring to ?
jlgfa0T.jpg
or the one above it ?

Maybe that is where the trunnion mounts are connected ? Just a guess , obviously .
That's the boyo. I it was the original filling point for Tennant Long Life Lager in bulk. It's use was discontinued as the 'Bag Charge' containers offered much more effectiveness for storing it in individual tinnies, with the bonus of keeping them cooler as the insulation was great.

John

Latest posts

Back