Tamiya Mclaren MP4/4

vinceqn

I am finally finished with this project. I had a very hard time with this kit. Everything, literally down to the last bolt, fought back at me. The fitment was off that caused a lot of problems with assembly. I think the kit was sitting in warm climate and it may have warped the body. I painted the Chevrons a little crooked. The decals were older and yellowing, I tried putting them in the sun,which got a lot of the yellow out, but it did not eliminate them completely. When putting the body on to the chassis, I broke the antenna prongs and scraped the "Boss Aryton Senna" logs. I somehow even put on one of the suspension pieces on backwards and didn't realize it until everything was glued, so I had t remove, repaint and reassemble the back end twice. Even when screwing on the final screw for the final wheel which was the final piece, the body being warped prevented everything from lining up and staying in properly.

All in all, with all the problem I had, the end result was much better than I thought it would be. Luckily I have a few more of these exact kits so I can redeem myself in the future. Just trying to get some experience so I can be as good as the rest of you on here!

Scalefinishes.com recommended white and red
Tamiya TS-13 clear coat
Alclad for the radiators
Tamiya photoetch seat belts
Used the Goodyear stencil from a Hoobby Design MP4/8 detail kit
Indycals for the correct color #12 (highly recommend these!)

IMAG2345_zps00d952ee.jpg
IMAG2356_zps3671d908.jpg IMAG2358_zps45f3aacb.jpg
IMAG2370_zpsbd3f0d44.jpg
IMAG2372_zps3271cfd7.jpg
IMAG2373_zps4ca3155f.jpg
IMAG2377_zps5e72bc42.jpg
IMAG2379_zpsdb7f70c0.jpg

Latest posts

Back