Tamiya m41 walker bulldog

BLT

Hello
My first tank build...

I chose this old kit cuz I figured I'd mess up here and there.

I've scratched the barrel on the. 50 cal and the light covers... I'm debating wether to scratch the side fenders, they're sorly lacking in detail... But I'm also thinking of hanging some equipment off the sides and the turret, in which case the sides will be covered.

I found out last night that you can buy a lot of cheap. 50 cal upgrades, so I might do that... On the other hand, ones this thing is on the shelf will I ever get my money's worth for paying half of what the entire kit cost for a machine gun? Probably not.

Anyway enjoy...

IMG_20210622_233515.jpgIMG_20210622_233532.jpgIMG_20210622_233646.jpgIMG_20210623_223052.jpgIMG_20210623_223118_1.jpgIMG_20210624_234535.jpgIMG_20210624_234558.jpgIMG_20210626_195725.jpgIMG_20210627_153653.jpg

BTW I've never painted figures before, I do think that the Tamiya paints are great, but not for brushing.
I'm considering just buying some skin sets or flesh tone sets from AK, MIG og Vallejo...

Any suggestions?

Looking good, I bought that to do as my first tank test dummy build , after I get comfortable with figure painting and do a couple more dios. I can recommend vallejo for figure painting, I've been happy with the paint but I don't particularly care for the way they sell it in sets that you really only need two or three colors from. Unless you want to do the hours of layering painting they suggest, and even then lightening and darkening colors with a mix accomplishes the same task and requires less paint. I think they are geared towards folks that don't like to mix paint or can't for some reason. Using a wet palette is great too.

Looking good, I bought that to do as my first tank test dummy build , after I get comfortable with figure painting and do a couple more dios. I can recommend vallejo for figure painting, I've been happy with the paint but I don't particularly care for the way they sell it in sets that you really only need two or three colors from. Unless you want to do the hours of layering painting they suggest, and even then lightening and darkening colors with a mix accomplishes the same task and requires less paint. I think they are geared towards folks that don't like to mix paint or can't for some reason. Using a wet palette is great too.
Hey Jim...
Thank you for replying...

Yeah way back I used humbrol... Back when there really wasn't anything else but paint... Lol. Not like to day where there are so many filters, shaders and washes... Oh man.

Anyway, I sometimes miss my humbrol... I still have them, I mean they where really color accurate and tough as hell... Never used varnish, when they were dry they where set and rock solid. Anyway I changed to Tamiya now after being away for 15 odd years.

They spray nice... But no where near as tough as hombrols...

Anyway, I never build a tank before and I wasn't going to do the commander... But then I figured why not. Last year I finished me ertl speeder bike a set I had carried around for over 20 years... And I wanted to handpaint the figure... With tamyia... Oh my God... Impossible.

Så looking around I can Def see that vallejo is the way to go when figure painting..

I've been looking at the sets myself, but I think I'll go with some flesh tone, dark brown and red and khaki and maybe some olive and green... I thing I'll be pretty set for doing a Vietnam tank commander.

I wonder why they do all these sets anyway... I mean like you said maybe cuz people don't wanna mix and blend.

Rjanx for the reply Jim

Hello
My first tank build...

I chose this old kit cuz I figured I'd mess up here and there.

I've scratched the barrel on the. 50 cal and the light covers... I'm debating wether to scratch the side fenders, they're sorly lacking in detail... But I'm also thinking of hanging some equipment off the sides and the turret, in which case the sides will be covered.

I found out last night that you can buy a lot of cheap. 50 cal upgrades, so I might do that... On the other hand, ones this thing is on the shelf will I ever get my money's worth for paying half of what the entire kit cost for a machine gun? Probably not.

Anyway enjoy...

View attachment 1782View attachment 1783View attachment 1784View attachment 1785View attachment 1786View attachment 1787View attachment 1788View attachment 1789View attachment 1790

BTW I've never painted figures before, I do think that the Tamiya paints are great, but not for brushing.
I'm considering just buying some skin sets or flesh tone sets from AK, MIG og Vallejo...

Any suggestions?
Great job. I have one I will never do. I am hopeing to do some tradeing. As soon as I figure out what I'm doing here, and learn what I have to do to get my pics to show up. I even have a couple NASCAR unopened. Never have been into it. Just a ol blind guy. Trying to handel all my free time in retirement.

Hey Jim...
Thank you for replying...

Yeah way back I used humbrol... Back when there really wasn't anything else but paint... Lol. Not like to day where there are so many filters, shaders and washes... Oh man.

Anyway, I sometimes miss my humbrol... I still have them, I mean they where really color accurate and tough as hell... Never used varnish, when they were dry they where set and rock solid. Anyway I changed to Tamiya now after being away for 15 odd years.

They spray nice... But no where near as tough as hombrols...

Anyway, I never build a tank before and I wasn't going to do the commander... But then I figured why not. Last year I finished me ertl speeder bike a set I had carried around for over 20 years... And I wanted to handpaint the figure... With tamyia... Oh my God... Impossible.

Så looking around I can Def see that vallejo is the way to go when figure painting..

I've been looking at the sets myself, but I think I'll go with some flesh tone, dark brown and red and khaki and maybe some olive and green... I thing I'll be pretty set for doing a Vietnam tank commander.

I wonder why they do all these sets anyway... I mean like you said maybe cuz people don't wanna mix and blend.

Rjanx for the reply Jim
Some of the sets come with the layering painting technique with them as well but those colors you mention sound good. If you haven't yet go check out some figure painting videos on youtube.

I know I said I was done...

But that barrel just wasn't doing it for me...

So 5mm brass rod turned down to 4,3 at the base and 3,7 at the tip.

I used my column drill - is that even a word? - to turn it to the right dimensions.

IMG_20210706_165749.jpg

I have to see about some sort of counter weight tho, this barrel is heavy.

" I have to see about some sort of counter weight tho, this barrel is heavy. "
Yes , I had to epoxy some lead shot into the turret of that Takom King Tiger to counterbalance the Aber barrel .

" I have to see about some sort of counter weight tho, this barrel is heavy. "
Yes , I had to epoxy some lead shot into the turret of that Takom King Tiger to counterbalance the Aber barrel .
Yeah I ended up supergluing it on the inside and fixing it in place for good...

Not like I'm gonna be moving this thing around anyway.

IMG_20210706_224335.jpg

In the end I'm learning a lot from this kit... I'm gonna buy some crates and fuel canisters to make it a bit more interesting.

I'll be making some tarbs from paper tissue and glue. Maybe even doing the gun cover.

I'm thinking of trying my luck with some sculpting putty and doing up some backpacks... I'm still to decide which putty to go with tho.

Last edited:
Nothing itches more than microfarads in your bedroll :D
Yeah well I figured you won't see any of it anyway, could have used just about anything I guess... But I had all this from an old sound card I stripped for greeblies, might as well use it.

I'm pretty sure they strapped just about anything to these things... Still wanna get some Jerry cans tho and some DIY wire I saw Night Shift make at one point.

Hell yeah .
I'm eager to see how they come out .
Love all the scratch-work
Thanx man...

I wasn't really going to do that. This is my first ever tank, but I figured I might as well get some practice in.

I'm not gonna damage it or weather it like crazy... Most reference pictures I've found they look rather well taken care of.

The exhaust covers I'll do some rust and paint pealing, some mild bleaching of the olive drab on the main hull, and maybe some dirt and oil, but it'll be subtle.

Latest posts

Back