Tamiya m41 walker bulldog

BLT

Active Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2021
Messages
175
Base coat.

Seems a lot of people say that tamyia olive drab is too green... And I see a lot of people mixing flat earth and other colors into it to make it more brown.

But when I look at references of this tank and the M48 in Vietnam, they appear very green, and rather clossy.

I can also see very few chipped surfaces, if any... If there is weathering it's often just faded by the sun. And the perpetual red dirt of the characteristic Vietnam soil.

I do like how the cun cover came out.
IMG_20210820_201146.jpg

IMG_20210820_201213.jpg

Enjoy and Thanx for looking.
 

urumomo

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
2,858
Great Job on the Mantlet Cover !

y9biijT.jpg
 

BLT

Active Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2021
Messages
175
Great Job on the Mantlet Cover !

y9biijT.jpg
Thanx

IMG_20210821_004237.jpg

Tried simulating the faded surface. I'm gonna go even lighter and this time sponge and brush. I might have overdone it... But plan has always been to tone it back down and blend it with the base color in the end. I wanna ad some yellows, light green and blue ind there as well.... Whacky I know!
 

BLT

Active Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2021
Messages
175
Hmmmm pretty hard not to get carried away with weathering. These things didn't really get that chipped, so I'm trying to hold back and only slight discoloration to the edges and engine deck.

But my phone actually doesn't take very good pics... Lol.

I found out I had some old humbrol weathering powders...

One of them made for perfect red rusty tracks... Blended with a darker one they make for good rust...

And looking at the mess I left behind... I'm thinking it'll make for excellent characteristic red Vietnam dirt.
IMG_20210823_224726.jpg

IMG_20210823_223959.jpg

IMG_20210823_224706.jpg

IMG_20210823_224743.jpg
 

BLT

Active Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2021
Messages
175
Hmm I think I overdid it.

In retrospect I should have went with a lot less rust. And I think the scale is a bit off...
IMG_20210824_171107.jpg
Brushing it off did help a bit. But I decided to try and make it look lige the paint flaked off.

This was always going to be a test build of my first tank, so I guess I better start testing something...

I did however try my testing on some scrap leftovers of an old Slave 1 kit.

Here is the hairspray approach
IMG_20210824_171133.jpg

Here is the salt method.
IMG_20210824_171145.jpg


I think I'm going with the salt method.
 

BLT

Active Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2021
Messages
175
I'm calling this one done.

Learned a lot
1. First time trying salt and hairspray methods. I like em a lot.
2. Vallejo varnish dries white with humbrol picments
3. I didn't quite manage to hold back on the dirt even tho I didn't wanna go overboard. Fail... But I got it out of my system. And anyone can tell this thing has driven through vietnam dirt.
4. I'll get a panzer kampf wagen 3 og 4 polish versions and go all muddy. Getting the dirt stuff completely out of my system.
5. I'll defenatley get the m48 and others of that line and hold back on the dirt.
6. My m1a2 Abrams will only get a light dust wash.
7. Using Micro sol and set, still left the film visible on the decals, in the right light.
8. I had a shit load of fun, for my first tank build its OK.

Enjoy.

IMG_20210830_232519.jpg IMG_20210830_232437.jpg IMG_20210830_232425.jpg IMG_20210830_232410.jpg IMG_20210830_232358.jpg IMG_20210830_232126.jpg IMG_20210830_232048.jpg IMG_20210830_232001.jpg
 
Last edited:

sanford12

Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2021
Messages
32
Nice job. I built one last fall. They're a great kit. I was luck that I had a left over 50 cal that I migrated the barrel to the 50 cal that came with the tank. The one with the kit was really out of proportion(small).
 

Attachments

  • 20210222_092645_HDR.jpg
    20210222_092645_HDR.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Top