Tamiya M41 Bulldog

RKrebs

I, for one, like Roman Numerals.
Ok, so here is my second build while I wait for all the paint and stuff to come in the mail for my Spitfire.

23801988895_c44cdeb467_z.jpg

Ah-ha ! He's back with more . ;D

I forgot you were waiting on paint .
I had expected more pics with the next color on the Spitfire .

What made the hand-holds so difficult ?
Looks like you may be hitting it with too much cement . That Tamiya Extra Thin is pretty hot .

Uru

What makes them so difficult? How about this for reference. :eek: 8) ;D

23175687793_a440d57b7e_z.jpg

Even using tweezers is hard to get them in there straight. I am using as little cement as I can. I finally figured out how to get a little less on there and the last 4 or 5 have come out looking better.

To start out, I rolled the putty into a log and layed it across the turret and then put the handles on. But the cement came into contact with the cement...No bueno. I will clean it up more and I think the paint and primer will hide it.

;D
did you set the turret on it's side + or - ?

If you just-wet the ends of the rung with that solvent , then set them where they need to make contact .
You don't need to worry about their exact perpendicularity right off -- as long as it's close .

You can set the side of your finger or the tweezers against it until the joint starts to stiffen -- you can bump it 'plumb' as it sets .
You'll get the hang of it - no doubt .

What putty did use there to hold it ?
Silly putty works well .

Hah...that works WAY better than setting it on there THEN gluing it!!!! ::) ::) ::)

I used Blue Tac.

So do you think it would be better to glue these guys on then paint?
23803783765_a32d2d3b1d_z.jpg
Or paint then glue on after I am done painting the turret?
23803818015_5ac39606e0_z.jpg

I always paint stuff like that before assembly .
Pretty much paint everything I can prior to attachment .

You just need to be cognizant of where the glue goes .... best not to have paint at those contact points .
Easy with those fuel cans since the entire back-side can be left unpainted ..

Uru

That is what I figured. I will just be careful when painting the turret and not get too much paint over the contact points there. I can always do a touch up with a brush around the cans I would think......right? ;D

So as far ass washes go, if I want to do a weathering wash over parts of this tank, do most of you all make your own wash by really diluting paint or do you buy the actual wash. Looking it up, I see a Mig wash made for dark green or brown tanks. It is acrylic but there are also Lacquer washes also. Is there a problem applying them over the top of acrylic based paint?

You can always scrape/sand away paint at the glue points .

As far as washes - both are fine over acrylic .
Most recommend you clear-coat the entire model prior to weathering .

Uru

Yeah, I got that, I just couldn't find anything to the contrary about the washes.

Much Gracias. ;D ;D ;D

23567685639_58436d1876_z.jpg

Preshading. I used black primer which after I got the air flow right, it worked great. I am using the Vallejo Acrylic-Poly primer which so many people complain about, but I have no problems with it so far.

23909479616_ab044d6c24_z.jpgPainted. This is OD green. It doesn't really look like it to me, but maybe once I get it covered in clear and weathering done it will look a little better.
23827294102_8d6fb40478_z.jpg

Wheels are next.

looking good .
How did the pre-shading work out ?
I can't tell from the pics :p

Looks like you got all the hand-holds on very cleanly ;D

Cheers ,
Uru

Hmmm....I thought I replied to this last night, but I guess not.

As far as the pre-shading goes, I covered up more than I wanted to. You can still see just a hint in some places, which is the desired effect I think, but others it is completely covered. I wonder if I didn't think my paint down enough. I had to go back over those places because I could still see the primer in places. So by the time I got the primer covered up, the black pre-shading was covered also.

As far as the handholds go, I am a hand hold god!!!! ;D :D

the color looks right ...

.... but you got them at the wrong angle .

except that one

You brush painted the rims without complaining ?

;D

Are you kidding me? Do you think I am a bottomless pit of patience? I airbrushed them. :)

Nope. Putty. :) Simple and fast. Easy to remove too.

;D ;D 8) 8)

Latest posts

Back