Tamiya M3 Stuart Ligh Tank

Tanker52

The kit is built mainly OOTB. I did add a scratch build screen to the engine deck and added wires for the lights. My goal for this build is more practice on weathering details and chipping effects. The paint scheme and markings is going to be the British Army 7th Armored Division in Africa. I sprayed Vallejo black primer and applied Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow as the base coat. I applied XF-59 lightly to allow the black to show through adding tones and shadows. Once this dries, I am going to add a pre-shade using XF-59 mixed with XF-57 Buff for highlights. Then I am going to add decals, chips, and scratches along with weathering.

[attachment deleted by admin]

:) Hey Tanker52,

So I understand that this is a weathering techniques-training build, ah?

Go on! :)
RG

Tanker52, Good start on that Brit Stuart.
The British paint schemes in the desert theater have always confused me. It seems
that they had 3 or 4 different patterns: caulter or disruptive, 2 tone, 3 tone with hard
white outline, and monotone. Which ones were used when??? Were some phased out and others
started, did they use 2 or more at the same time, or WHAT!!!
Sorry, just ranting a little.
Good luck with the weathering and chipping treatment, Tanker52.

Nothing wrong with a nice little test bed!!! Weather this pupy up!! Carry on!! ;)

Here is my result of weathering and chipping this dessert rat. I used black pin wash to highlight panel lines and Vallejo rusts effects wash for areas rusty hinges and heavy wear around bolt heads, Doc O’Brien dessert yellow weathering powder to represent dust from dessert sand. I used a sponge with Tamiya flat gray to represent paint chips and brown colored pencil to simulate rust with in the chips as well as wear on edges and handles. Used a graphite pencil to simulate worn areas where crew members moved around the tank. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Great job on this Tank!!! The wash made the panels pop!!! Really like the light chipping too!!! ;)

TANKER ,

Cool lookin' lil' Panzer Target ! ;D Th weathering really brought out th lines on this !! Great Job !!

Love the OD color and the weathering, very well done. Cool to see these light tanks getting some attention.

Thanks for all the comments. I am always concerned if I over do the weathering or chipping effects. I am just about finished with this project. I need to work on the figure and the tracks. I will post my results soon and work on my lighting to get sharper and less fuzzy picture. I need to set my camera to setting to fluorescent lighting and hopefully that will make pics turn out better.

Calling this build complete. I am happy how the weathering turned out and the over all results. Thoughts and suggestions welcomed. The kit was a nice warm up to my next build. I am ready to tackle the Academy M3 Stuart Honey. This kit has more detail and comes with interior pieces. Looking forward to this build.

Ken Abrams said:
Nice job on that, I like it.
Thanks Ken for the comment.

Eastrock said:
looks great!! your making a kit comparison? :)
Not really making a kit comparison between the Tamiya and Academy kits. I just wanted a simple kit to practice my weathering techniques just in case I screwed it up, I wouldn't want to waste a nice kit like the Academy with all the extra effort in the details. As far as the scout car in the first pic, not really showing any comparison between these builds. This is one of the pics that turned out nice. I still learning how to take pics with my camera.

i just replaced my black card with blue and Boy does it make a difference to the pics. i just uploaded some to my stryker build. They look way better :)

same here if you have seen my post... most of the pics have different sizes :-[

just my 2 cents tanker, sometimes we can't stop comparing 2 kit or even 3 then ending up making a better one that fits our taste. :)

Latest posts

Back