TAMIYA GERMAN TIGER I LATE PROD.

GaryG64

Next week I'll be receiving my Tamiya Tiger 1. If anyone has built one; are the kit tracks sufficient or should I get metal tracks?

Depends on your definition of sufficient .
Which kit is it ?
I've never liked the band tracks but Tamiya's link and length track is pretty good .

Depends on your definition of sufficient .
Which kit is it ?
I've never liked the band tracks but Tamiya's link and length track is pretty good .
This is the kit: Tamiya German Tank Tiger I 1/35 Late Version Vintage New NOS Model Kit.
Since I am new to tank Kits I might give the metal one a try.

New Old Stock :)
I was wondering which kit # to see what kind of track was included ,
Here's all the Tamiya Tiger I kits in 1/35 :
https://www.scalemates.com/search.p...gen+VI+Tiger+I*&fkSCALENORMALISED[]="1:00035"
I've only used the metal track from Friulmodel which are excellent : https://friulmodel.hu/
They had started selling only direct to the consumer a couple of years ago but I'm not sure if that is still the case .
I don't know if the sets being sold by hobby supply sites are remaining stock they had or they can still get products for resale .

New Old Stock :)
I was wondering which kit # to see what kind of track was included ,
Here's all the Tamiya Tiger I kits in 1/35 :
https://www.scalemates.com/search.p...gen+VI+Tiger+I*&fkSCALENORMALISED[]="1:00035"
I've only used the metal track from Friulmodel which are excellent : https://friulmodel.hu/
They had started selling only direct to the consumer a couple of years ago but I'm not sure if that is still the case .
I don't know if the sets being sold by hobby supply sites are remaining stock they had or they can still get products for resale .

G&G might. They are off Westhimer, I think.

They moved from Rice Village a long while ago and now they're Over off of 59 and Shepherd .
They were in a strip center on the north side of the freeway somewhere in there at first but they evidently moved again at some point.
Using Google street view I see that comic book store is still there . Amazing .
I haven't been to G&G since they were over on Times in the Village . I lived on the other side of 59 before I moved back in '04 .

Good luck !
I'd definitely call them first unless you're just going there regardless .

Did you make a trip out to G&G ?
Or find the tracks online ?
Never made it to G&G. Kind of far. I did find tracks online which should arrive in October.
Also ordered a sheet of zimmerit.
Never used these as this is only my 3rd tank.

BTW. your latest post of your tank is outstanding, especially in the sunlight!

I plan to go slow on this build and hope it turns out well.

Gary

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220924-233427_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220924-233427_eBay.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220924-233356_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220924-233356_eBay.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 4
Ha ha , yeah , it's quite far from Cypress .

I like those Tamiya Zimmerit stickers .
They match the thickness of the coating in that 1/35 scale .
Zim is only 5 to 7 mm thick on the tanks so should only be .15 to .2 mm thick in scale .

Thanks for the compliment on that King Tiger !
That one has Friulmodel track on it . An Aber barrel and antenna too .

Ha ha , yeah , it's quite far from Cypress .

I like those Tamiya Zimmerit stickers .
They match the thickness of the coating in that 1/35 scale .
Zim is only 5 to 7 mm thick on the tanks so should only be .15 to .2 mm thick in scale .

Thanks for the compliment on that King Tiger !
That one has Friulmodel track on it . An Aber barrel and antenna too .
I learned a neat trick to placing the zimmerit on. In the video he stated that it sticks really well and to help work the sticker in place he brushed water on the model surface and a tiny dab of dawn soap. This made it easier instead of resticking it too many times.

I would use isopropyl alcohol to break the surface tension instead of soap .
That way there's no chance of soap residue acting as a bond breaker with the adhesive .
Probably wouldn't be a big issue with a minimum amount of soap since it will require very little , but ...

I would use isopropyl alcohol to break the surface tension instead of soap .
That way there's no chance of soap residue acting as a bond breaker with the adhesive .
Probably wouldn't be a big issue with a minimum amount of soap since it will require very little , but ...
Ok. Thanks for the tip

Latest posts

Back